Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

New Jersey is very nice...despite the jokes about oil refineries and the Turnpike. I live in NW NJ and it is very green...lots of tress and lakes...lots of small towns and villages...very much like the English countryside. We are 30 mins from Newark Liberty Airport...45 mins drive from NYC and a few hours drive away from Boston, DC and Philly. We are about 45 mins from the Jersey shore and the mountains for winter sking.

The summers are long and hot...the winters are from late Nov to March. The colours of the trees in the fall are amazing. It can be very cold and snowy but most days we have blue skies and sunshine...so it's much more bearable than the UK IMHO.

Nearly forgot...best of all we are 6 1/2 hrs away from the UK...lots of cheap flights from JFK and Newark Liberty.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Bad-Yeti is an unknown quantity at this point

Well an idea is starting to form, I really like to look of Middletown DE and the surrounding areas, I could base the office in Wilmington (I know some people in the industry based there) and then use Philadelphia Int.

It seems like It's a nice semi rural location only a few miles from Wilmington and then you're in the thick of things.

I do have a few more questions though ;-)

Is there a version of Stamp duty for buying a property? Or any other catches to the prices you see on web sites.
Can one get a Mortgage right off or would I have to pay cash?
Is there Inheritance Tax in the US?
Basically anything else to really be concerned about.

I'm not too worried about the office for now as the company lawyers will give us the info on all that side of things.

By the way, thanks for the help guys and gals.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
New Jersey is very nice...despite the jokes about oil refineries and the Turnpike. I live in NW NJ and it is very green...lots of tress and lakes...lots of small towns and villages...very much like the English countryside. We are 30 mins from Newark Liberty Airport...45 mins drive from NYC and a few hours drive away from Boston, DC and Philly. We are about 45 mins from the Jersey shore and the mountains for winter sking.

The summers are long and hot...the winters are from late Nov to March. The colours of the trees in the fall are amazing. It can be very cold and snowy but most days we have blue skies and sunshine...so it's much more bearable than the UK IMHO.

Nearly forgot...best of all we are 6 1/2 hrs away from the UK...lots of cheap flights from JFK and Newark Liberty.
Personally New Jersey would be great for me, in fact many places would, but I am going to be taking my mother (65) with me and my brother both of whom have never lived in a big town or city and are terrified of the idea, hence my reluctance at any city.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bad-Yeti
Personally New Jersey would be great for me, in fact many places would, but I am going to be taking my mother (65) with me and my brother both of whom have never lived in a big town or city and are terrified of the idea, hence my reluctance at any city.
I agree with you...I would hate to live in or very close to a large city. I think the nearest city is about 30 mins away...Newark/Jersey City. All the towns around me are very small...I live in a small village...or township as they are called here. It is very safe...not a lot of traffic...but I'm close enough if I want to go into NYC shopping etc.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

What would be the name of the town?

So I can look it up in Google Earth
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What would be the name of the town?

So I can look it up in Google Earth
I'll PM you.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering how?

Are they US Citizens?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

No they aren't, my mother is very self sufficient (financially) and I will employ my brother in the same company.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No they aren't, my mother is very self sufficient (financially) and I will employ my brother in the same company.
I don't think so .....
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
I don't think so .....
In what regard?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

Sounding good to me, which is your nearest airport? Nothing showing in Google Earth.

Sorry this was directed to Norm71

Our nearest airport is Philly. It's a 40 minute drive from us and we have always had a good run when we have gone up there. If it is rustic your looking for without a little bit of a drive then your going to find it difficult to find somewhere. The nearest biggest town or city, from me is Wilmington and to be honest it's not my cup of tea. I guess you need to figure your choices. Living near an airport, your more inner city type areas and it can be a bigger expense. We return home once a year and as I said my husband is away at least once a month. In the seven years we have lived here we have had no issues with driving to the airport. Plus the trip goes by quite quickly. There is an express route where you pretty much have a clear run.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

I should also mention that Philly is one of the main airport hubs on the east coast.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In what regard?
What visas are all these people coming in on ...
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norm71
Our nearest airport is Philly. It's a 40 minute drive from us and we have always had a good run when we have gone up there. If it is rustic your looking for without a little bit of a drive then your going to find it difficult to find somewhere. The nearest biggest town or city, from me is Wilmington and to be honest it's not my cup of tea. I guess you need to figure your choices. Living near an airport, your more inner city type areas and it can be a bigger expense. We return home once a year and as I said my husband is away at least once a month. In the seven years we have lived here we have had no issues with driving to the airport. Plus the trip goes by quite quickly. There is an express route where you pretty much have a clear run.
So what would be the commute time to Wilmington? Roughly
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
What visas are all these people coming in on ...
USA Employment-Based Immigration Visas as far as I've been told.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.