Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Bad-Yeti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Hey guys,

I need a bit of help with something.

The company that I work for is looking to start an office in the US (it's an English Company and I live near London well Gatwick to be precise), they have asked me to go and run it/set it up (maybe they hate me or something) anyway, I am looking at different locations in the US (East Coast). So far I have an idea of either North Carolina or Virginia as the weather seems a little better than the UK and they're both fairly central.

So, my questions to any people who know the states or live there:

Any towns/cities you would recomend? (preferebly near an international airport)

Any places to definately stay away from?

Any strange quirky things to bear in mind?

And basically any general opinions of life in these areas?

BTW i'm looking for somewhere near the water that is fairly relaxing ;-)
Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Your major East Coast Intl airports are Boston, NY (JFK and EWR), PHIL (barely), Washington (IAD and BWI), Raleigh Durham (barely) and then Atlanta

I think a better question might be what are you going to be doing? Do you need to get back often (once a month vs. twice a year)? What kind of company? Do you want a big city / small city? Do you think you can handle 'the South' (of the USA)? Do you think you could handle (and afford) NY or Boston or DC?

Lots more questions...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Your major East Coast Intl airports are Boston, NY (JFK and EWR), PHIL (barely), Washington (IAD and BWI), Raleigh Durham (barely) and then Atlanta

I think a better question might be what are you going to be doing? Do you need to get back often (once a month vs. twice a year)? What kind of company? Do you want a big city / small city? Do you think you can handle 'the South' (of the USA)? Do you think you could handle (and afford) NY or Boston or DC?

Lots more questions...
Yes...like what does the company do?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

When we first moved to the US we lived next to Dullas. I guess it pretty central but can be expenisve. We bought our first house in WV. In Charles Town to be exact and it was very affordable and not far from my husbands job in Chantily. At the moment we live in Delaware. Its very affordable here as well and only 4o minutes from Philly airport. Approx 2 hours from NY maybe 2 1/2 into Dullas and about an hour from Balitmore. I like it here because it is so central. The weather is great. It can get cold in the winter but summers are fantastic, We are also not too far from Atlantic City and other coastal regions. There are so many pretty towns and cities to visit and choose from. Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:29 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bad-Yeti
and they're both fairly central.
Here you go! You'll find lots of pleasant, friendly folks in Kansas. Which denomination are you BTW?

Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The company that I work for is looking to start an office in the US (it's an English Company and I live near London well Gatwick to be precise), they have asked me to go and run it/set it up (maybe they hate me or something) anyway, I am looking at different locations in the US (East Coast). So far I have an idea of either North Carolina or Virginia as the weather seems a little better than the UK and they're both fairly central.
Where are your potential US customers? Or do you just need an office Somewhere In The US for legal reasons? If the latter then why not USVI or Hawaii?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 2:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

If your employer is actually serious about setting up a US office, they need to know their customer demographics. e.g. which part/region of the US are they concentrated.

That will immediately determine where you should focus.

What is your employer's industry?

Your last sentence doesn't make much sense. If your employer wants you to set up an office, your employer will be determining where your work location will be and even if it's anywhere near water, you probably won't have much time to spend time relaxing there because establishing an office in abroad is not a piece of cake.

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jun 10th 2007 at 2:43 pm. Reason: Added a little more
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:09 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
If your employer is actually serious about setting up a US office, they need to know their customer demographics. e.g. which part/region of the US are they concentrated.

That will immediately determine where you should focus.

What is your employer's industry?

Your last sentence doesn't make much sense. If your employer wants you to set up an office, your employer will be determining where your work location will be and even if it's anywhere near water, you probably won't have much time to spend time relaxing there because establishing an office in abroad is not a piece of cake.
Ditto on everything you just said. I would also add that cost of living, transportation (mass transit options, etc) and of doing business (taxes, building lease expenses, supplies, etc) in a particular location would be at the top of the location-scouting list. Unless it's a company that works a great deal outdoors, the weather would definitely be way down on the bottom of the list.

Also, Virginia and North Carolina are both big states with HUGELY diverse regions. There's a big difference between living in posh Great Falls, Virginia and the poverty-sticken areas of Appalachia, and everything in between. So suggesting only a state doesn't really help much.

And I'm not sure my husband would agree that the weather in VA and NC is nicer than that in England. It's hotter, the humidity is so bad that you can't manage without air conditioning (which means higher electric bills), and the pollen is horrible. We would never dream of leaving our windows open during the spring/summer/early fall, for all of the above reasons. His asthma has worsened significantly since he moved here. Back in the UK, Mark's asthma was very mild and he only needed to use an inhaler about three times a year. Now he's on three different asthma medications, which he takes daily.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You can set up a window cleaning round anywhere ...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 3:54 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

To do what?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
I need one!!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Do you know how much it cost to get your windows cleaned here? It costs a small fortune.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you know how much it cost to get your windows cleaned here? It costs a small fortune.
$25

per flicking window!!! :curse:

Who needs clean windows anyway...
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My neighbour has a one-storey house and paid $400, as mine is built over the garage on a further two storeys I'm leaving it for now.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
My neighbour has a one-storey house and paid $400, as mine is built over the garage on a further two storeys I'm leaving it for now.
'for now'.............. is how long.......... exactly...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.