Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there, New person here, need to move to the USA.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My next purchase will be in the UK...then perhaps Florida.
how many continents are you aiming for
Old Jun 10th 2007, 5:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Our house is 2 storeys at the front...3 at the back...a quote for window cleaning was well into 4 figures.
For just the high 3 figures, I can find you a very nice ladder, bucket, and sponge.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is this flamin' Yeti anyway? :curse:
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Do you think you could handle (and afford) NY or Boston or DC?

Lots more questions...
office realestate is stupidly expensive in beantown...but get further out in the burbs, it's cheaper than housing...but it all depends on the business.....

thing to check out would be tax breaks for businesses....it's a reason why most banks are registered in maryland in this country....
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
For just the high 3 figures, I can find you a very nice ladder, bucket, and sponge.
That's what my husband wants to do...I won't let him.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:33 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

That's what my husband wants to do...I won't let him.

Hose 'em down
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
Hose 'em down
Doesn't clean them properly and hardly touches the top windows...even with a high pressure hose.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:41 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't clean them properly and hardly touches the top windows...even with a high pressure hose.

Drat. Can you hose them from close up (on a ladder) and get the tops? Mine are dirty at the moment. They have been digging and drilling the road for over 3 weeks outside my building. I asked one of the young workmen when they will be finished as the drilling is driving me insane, can't hear TV, can't hear peeps on the phone, he asked why I was inside trying to watch TV when I should be strolling down 5th checking out the young hunks like himself
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Bad-Yeti is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this, things have been really hectic.

Okay to answer some of your questions (and generally ask more questions):

The long and short of things is that it is a Family business, we currently have a facility in Miami Florida which will remain a separate entity, deal in the sale of Aircraft Spare Parts.

The reason that I am being a little blase is as I can pick and choose to a certain degree as to where we base this new facility as it will be mainly a sales office (though with a small warehouse).

I will need to fly to Europe every 2-3 months but fly within the US around once per 3 weeks, more importantly I will need to ship spares from this location on a daily basis and so the office must be within 20-30 mins of an International airport.

I would like to live on the coast, but again this is constrained slightly as I need to be withing 15 mins of the office.

I am looking for somewhere that is a little warmer than London, but is still seasonal oh yes and it must be East Coast for the overlap with the UK.

I notice several remarks about "it's not about what I want but the company" but as I am in a position where I can choose then I would be a fool not to (part of my decision is based on the fact that I am bringing family members with me).

I have been chatting to some people from the US on another forum and they all seem to have totally different ideas about where to go, the popular choices so far are:

North Virginia
Delaware
New Hampshire

My real problem seems to stem from the way that the US is structured as far as towns etc are concerned.

For instance I live about 5 miles from Gatwick Airport at this present time, in a small village with around 1000 people, then you have Crawley population 140,000 3 miles away. Are there such places in the US?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

I can only tell you about Delaware. We live in Middletown, Delaware. Its in New Castle county. Rather weird as I am a geordie..lol. Anyway when we moved here it was a very small town with little to nothing to offer. We moved here because it is out of the way to a degree but easy access to airports and beaches. My husband travels a lot for business also. However over the past few years the place is on fire. All in a very good way. It has no sales tax and cost of living is very reasonable. The taxes are very good compaired to the states that are close to us. I have oftern heard the area refered to the tri-state area. We are very close to PA, New Jersey and Maryland. They are building and have completed several retail areas, hotels, schools and office buildings. We are also near some main roads. Rt 1 and I 95. The weather is great. Very seasonal. We are enjoying some really nice weather at the moment. I have enjoyed living in middletown and think the town has a lot to offer.

We also lived in Charles Town, WV. We moved there because of the cost of living in Virginia, It's a short drive to Dullas and the mountains were beautiful. However we weren't near the beaches. I think it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Charles Town to here. Charles Town is beautiful and housing very affordable, but I think with regards to growth, Northern Delaware has a lot to offer.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:35 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for providing so many necessary details this time around. I'm not sure why you left them out last time.

Sounds to me that, given your travel needs and product (spare aircraft parts) that one of your main concerns should be to live near an airport. But what about the financial aspect?? In other words, where can you AFFORD to live and run a business??

Northern Virginia is one option, particularly out near Dulles -- but if you have to only be 15 minutes from work, then you'd better plan on working no more than 5 miles from home. The last time I lived in Northern Virginia, I lived in Centreville in Fairfax County. We lived 5 miles from my husband's job (which was on the border of Centreville/Chantilly) and it usually took him about 30 minutes to drive to/from work -- and that was on a good day. That was nearly 10 years ago, and the traffic is even worse now.

I ended up moving away from that area (where I grew up) after our divorce because I couldn't afford to continue living there on my own. I moved to Richmond and have been here ever since. (BTW, Richmond has an international airport -- but it costs a buttload more to fly out of RIC than out of Dulles.)

The correct name is NorthERN Virginia (aka NoVA), not North Virginia.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Bad-Yeti is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounding good to me, which is your nearest airport? Nothing showing in Google Earth.

Sorry this was directed to Norm71

Last edited by Bad-Yeti; Jun 11th 2007 at 11:50 am.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:00 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bad-Yeti
Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this, things have been really hectic.

Okay to answer some of your questions (and generally ask more questions):

The long and short of things is that it is a Family business, we currently have a facility in Miami Florida which will remain a separate entity, deal in the sale of Aircraft Spare Parts.

The reason that I am being a little blase is as I can pick and choose to a certain degree as to where we base this new facility as it will be mainly a sales office (though with a small warehouse).

I will need to fly to Europe every 2-3 months but fly within the US around once per 3 weeks, more importantly I will need to ship spares from this location on a daily basis and so the office must be within 20-30 mins of an International airport.

I would like to live on the coast, but again this is constrained slightly as I need to be withing 15 mins of the office.

I am looking for somewhere that is a little warmer than London, but is still seasonal oh yes and it must be East Coast for the overlap with the UK.

I notice several remarks about "it's not about what I want but the company" but as I am in a position where I can choose then I would be a fool not to (part of my decision is based on the fact that I am bringing family members with me).

I have been chatting to some people from the US on another forum and they all seem to have totally different ideas about where to go, the popular choices so far are:

North Virginia
Delaware
New Hampshire

My real problem seems to stem from the way that the US is structured as far as towns etc are concerned.

For instance I live about 5 miles from Gatwick Airport at this present time, in a small village with around 1000 people, then you have Crawley population 140,000 3 miles away. Are there such places in the US?

This area is nice, near Charlotte International airport. Beautiful location.

http://www.lakewyliewaterfront.com/areainfo.asp
Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:24 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Delaware is near PHIladephia International, which is located on the South side of the city. You could live in DEL or NJ and be somewhat rural

(though I should note finding anything rustic and tranquil within 5 miles of an International airport on the East Coast is a bit of a stretch).

Dulles in NoVa might be ok, but the traffic and congestion growing around there could make a 5 mile trip 30 minutes, as some have pointed out.

BWI--You could live in Annapolis, MD (20 minutes away). Very nice. Water, and kind of quaint.

NY and Bos are all locked in by big cities.

Chicago, which is just 1 time zone off East coast, is a better airport (in fact, they have several business around there doing the same thing) but you would be city locked and not much water (unless you were downtown Chicago on the lake).

INDy, which is just 1 time zone off East coast (growing hub and FEDEX sort facility) would allow you the small townness, but not that many International flights.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

New Hampshire might not be bad, check out towns like Dover, quite small and quaint, near the airport, there's a couple of small international airports in NH, though that is a stretch, good for internal flights more than actual international flights...but it's a short hop to Boston's Logon airport for those flights to the EU.

NH is also a income/sales tax free state, so not bad to live, though they make up for it in property taxes.

Delaware is good for corporate taxes though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.