Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi. Newbie here looking for some answer's. . .

Hi. Newbie here looking for some answer's. . .

Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi. Newbie here looking for some answer's. . .

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I can't spell for toffee and if the calculator goes amiss then I am screwed lol but I am in my 3rd position in the US in executive management, have never been asked for my eduction qualifications I did bring some references from Aussie and the UK thats it.
Depends on the profession you're going into I guess!

PS Terry if anyone had taken points of for my spelling and mental arithmetic I would not of even passed the 1st interview
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chillis, welcome to the Forum

My only experience here as far as the UK education went, was when I wanted to take a few college courses a few years back. I had to have the high school dioploma/GED, before I could sign up for any classes, there are a few places that will offer the GED classes for free and you can look into that online once you know the area you will be moving too.

It can be a little awkward for some of us, some employers over here don't understand that Brits don't get high school diplomas for just completeing high school. But as has also been mentioned, they usually just expect that you have one (most of the time) so you can just take a chance and tick the box on the app' that says 'finished high school' etc
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

Extended Signature:
Working Hard to save up as much money as possible, to one day hopefully take my wife back to where she belongs and where we can raise our kids the right way.

Thats touching Chillis. Shes a lucky girl.

Welcome.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rculater
Extended Signature:
Working Hard to save up as much money as possible, to one day hopefully take my wife back to where she belongs and where we can raise our kids the right way.

Thats touching Chillis. Shes a lucky girl.

Welcome.
Ahem! Is it implied that one cannot raise kids in UK the right way ? How are they being raised now ?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
Ahem! Is it implied that one cannot raise kids in UK the right way ? How are they being raised now ?
Maybe he just means that they will have a bit more space to grow?

One of my BF's got back home to Canada after a two week trip to the UK last week, she told me she felt claustrophobic the whole time they were there...lots more people living there now
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishtart
One of my BF's got back home to Canada after a two week trip to the UK last week
How many boyfriends do you have ?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Maybe he just means that they will have a bit more space to grow?

One of my BF's got back home to Canada after a two week trip to the UK last week, she told me she felt claustrophobic the whole time they were there...lots more people living there now
Lots of people who come from the sticks to visit Manhattan feel both the excitement and the vertigo. They eventually go back after touring. But that does not imply that people who live here are not raising their kids the right way ?

Maybe the OP meant something else

Last edited by anuny; Aug 8th 2010 at 9:24 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
A She ?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough

Lots of people who come from the sticks to visit Manhattan feel both the excitement and the vertigo. They eventually go back after touring. But that does not imply that people who live here are not raising their kids the right way ?
what are you going on about he currently lives in the UK ?

He wants to save up so him and he's wife can live near her home and presumably by her folks therefore giving the kids get a better upbringing and where they don't turn into chavs.

Sorry Chillis dont be scared off by us lot we really are quite sane - most of the time !!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

From what i have read your biggest challenge will be what you want to do for a living over here, that is something I suggest you do a lot of research on.

Originally Posted by chilis1986
Hi everybody, another newbie here. I would like to find out some info about moving to america. My wife is American and we will be going over in the next year or so by marriage visa. This is the best and practically the only option to us. My queiry for this post though is my school qualifications. I dont have the best grades but i know that when we go to the States they will need to be converted to a USA equivalent so that i can get work. Does anybody know any info on this situation.

My Grades were 7 GCSE's but none higher that a D (unfortunately).

Can anyone help me. Please. . . Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Shhhh! Silly man, it means best friend!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A She ?
You lost me
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

You lost me
You answered it below - A clarification to the BF

Shhhh! Silly man, it means best friend!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You answered it below - A clarification to the BF
Ahh, ok