Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi. Newbie here looking for some answer's. . .

Hi. Newbie here looking for some answer's. . .

Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

chilis1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Hi. Newbie here looking for some answer's. . .

Hi everybody, another newbie here. I would like to find out some info about moving to america. My wife is American and we will be going over in the next year or so by marriage visa. This is the best and practically the only option to us. My queiry for this post though is my school qualifications. I dont have the best grades but i know that when we go to the States they will need to be converted to a USA equivalent so that i can get work. Does anybody know any info on this situation.

My Grades were 7 GCSE's but none higher that a D (unfortunately).

Can anyone help me. Please. . . Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi. Newbie here looking for some answer's. . .

I believe, in your instance, you'd qualify as a high school graduate. The only reason you'd probably worry about converting "grades" would be if you had a degree from a university.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chilis1986
Hi everybody, another newbie here. I would like to find out some info about moving to america. My wife is American and we will be going over in the next year or so by marriage visa. This is the best and practically the only option to us. My queiry for this post though is my school qualifications. I dont have the best grades but i know that when we go to the States they will need to be converted to a USA equivalent so that i can get work. Does anybody know any info on this situation.

Why is it best and only option ?

At your level of education (i.e High School) no one looks at grades. It is the skills & trades that you learnt. It also depends on what kind of work experience you have and how many years of it.

The difference between GED and no GED is not much, a few bucks an hour maybe US is fast stratifying into low paying hard labor, service and high tech/qualified techies market for immigrants and foreigners. If you are young, I strongly suggest you get an undergraduate degree at the very least, if you want to make some headway economically.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
Why is it best and only option ?
If he's married to a USC, there doesn't seem any point in looking at other visa options.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilis1986

Would suggest you look at getting back into education if you come to the US since your prospects do not look too great as an employee. Education here is very flexible. Suggest you start with a GED at a community college and then look at doing something with vocational qualifications. It's quite possible to combine education with work over here.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:25 am
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Would suggest you look at getting back into education if you come to the US since your prospects do not look too great as an employee. Education here is very flexible. Suggest you start with a GED at a community college and then look at doing something with vocational qualifications. It's quite possible to combine education with work over here.
I'd agree that potential employers will be looking for post-"high-school" education, but be prepared for the US education system. You'll get points taken off for spelling things in English, and more points taken off for daring to use mental arithmetic!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerryVA
You'll get points taken off for spelling things in English, and more points taken off for daring to use mental arithmetic!
Really? Oh do go on.....
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I believe, in your instance, you'd qualify as a high school graduate. The only reason you'd probably worry about converting "grades" would be if you had a degree from a university.
I would disagree, I don't think that would translate to a high school diploma because of the amount of GCSEs, the grades and the fact he left school at 16. They could be translated but it would probably be easier, cheaper and open up more options to just take the GED.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Is grade D a pass at GCSE?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is grade D a pass at GCSE?
Yes. In my day so was an E, F and G, only a U was a fail. I think D and under are classed as a lower level pass than A*-C. 7 also seems like a lower than average amount to take if air remember. 9 or 10 was standard when I did mine I think.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Yes. In my day so was an E, F and G, only a U was a fail. I think D and under are classed as a lower level pass than A*-C. 7 also seems like a lower than average amount to take if air remember. 9 or 10 was standard when I did mine I think.
Thanks, it was 'O' Levels when I was at school where a pass was C and above.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:50 am
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Really? Oh do go on.....
Not much to add, really. I speak from personal experience. Don't spell "colour" with a "u", and even if it's blindingly obvious that 10% of 300 is 30, make sure you "show your working".
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just add that nobody seemed bothered about proving High School completion status, I just put down that I had achieved the equivalent.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:49 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerryVA
I'd agree that potential employers will be looking for post-"high-school" education, but be prepared for the US education system. You'll get points taken off for spelling things in English, and more points taken off for daring to use mental arithmetic!
I can't spell for toffee and if the calculator goes amiss then I am screwed lol but I am in my 3rd position in the US in executive management, have never been asked for my eduction qualifications I did bring some references from Aussie and the UK thats it.
Depends on the profession you're going into I guess!

PS Terry if anyone had taken points of for my spelling and mental arithmetic I would not of even passed the 1st interview
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I would disagree, I don't think that would translate to a high school diploma because of the amount of GCSEs, the grades and the fact he left school at 16. They could be translated but it would probably be easier, cheaper and open up more options to just take the GED.
What I meant was that he probably could comfortably say he graduated from high school. I would think not too many jobs that require a high school diploma really care enough to go back and check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.