Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Foreign Exchange Providers in England?

Foreign Exchange Providers in England?

Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

soclose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign Exchange Providers in England?

Hi, I have money that I need to bring from England to the US. How can I find out which non-bank foreign exchange (FE) provider in England is safe to use?

I read in an article posted in the home page of this forum that England FE providers are not regulated (article: Exchange rates and transferring funds - the insiders guide: "Some jurisdictions, like the UK, do not regulate non-bank foreign exchange providers").
BUT, I read in a posting on 16 March 2010 here that alanlangstone suggested opening an account with Ashley Ingle at excelcurrencies.com to transfer funds. On the website of excelcurrencies.com they do note that their company is regulated and give a registration number.

Can anyone advise me where I can go to screen the England non-bank foreign exchange companies?

Thanks,

PS. Ashley Ingle is probably a very reputable person/company, but I don't know him or his company and need to see this reputation on paper!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of
Default Re: Foreign Exchange Providers in England?

We have used UKForex several times and are pleased with their service and rates offered.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

currencyonline.com (HiFX who post on this board)

xe.com
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soclose
I have money that I need to bring from England to the US. How can I find out which non-bank foreign exchange (FE) provider in England is safe to use?
Why do you specifically need a "provider in England"? There are several good online providers, and there must be a dozen threads in the last week or two dealing with foreign exchanges and moving money back and forth between the UK and the US.

Ian
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why do you specifically need a "provider in England"?
Even if they are UK based the money might not come from there.

I use currencyonline.com which is HiFX based in the UK. I send my UK pounds to a UK bank account in London, the dollars are sent to my US account from the Bank of New Zealand.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Always used ukforex.co.uk, awesome service, cash gets where it's going very fast, especially if you bank with Barclays in the UK (as they do).
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:38 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

ive used xe.com lots of times - very happy with the service.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:27 am
Just Joined

soclose is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooohh, it is good to hear which companies you've used. I'll contact them and find out the best deal. I bank with HSBC. I am glad I came upon this forum. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

onthepunt will become famous soon enoughonthepunt will become famous soon enough

I need $5k start up cash in hand for when I move to the states, but thats way too much for most high street retailers.. I see the list on here;

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert...money/#results (may not show the results unless you just enter a test number)

but the cheapest places have very amateurish looking websites and want bank transfers.. im not sure if i trust them! Any advice?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by onthepunt
Any advice?
See the posts above where we have mentioned the currency brokers used by members here, not those who charge and only one of which was near the rate the brokers mentioned would give.

If you want cash in hand it is going to have to be in a High Street bank etc.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

I swear by using HIFX.
Their service is excellent and they always answer the phone quickly and answer questions efficiently.
I'm currently in the process of buying a house here and need to withdraw all my UK funds from various banks and accounts.
As much as I have had headaches getting my money out from Halifax, Natwest etc, HIFX have been excellent.

Each bank has their own limit as to how much you can transfer....HSBC is 10,000 pound, Halifax is 15,000 pounds.
I called HIFX to warn them that I was having trouble getting my funds into their account and they said it was no problem, they'd keep me locked in at the agreed rate of exchange for about two weeks, which is great considering the exchange rate has since dropped.

My advice is check them out, you won't be disappointed!

Originally Posted by soclose
Hi, I have money that I need to bring from England to the US. How can I find out which non-bank foreign exchange (FE) provider in England is safe to use?

I read in an article posted in the home page of this forum that England FE providers are not regulated (article: Exchange rates and transferring funds - the insiders guide: "Some jurisdictions, like the UK, do not regulate non-bank foreign exchange providers").
BUT, I read in a posting on 16 March 2010 here that alanlangstone suggested opening an account with Ashley Ingle at excelcurrencies.com to transfer funds. On the website of excelcurrencies.com they do note that their company is regulated and give a registration number.

Can anyone advise me where I can go to screen the England non-bank foreign exchange companies?

Thanks,

PS. Ashley Ingle is probably a very reputable person/company, but I don't know him or his company and need to see this reputation on paper!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

Originally Posted by pinzo
I swear by using HIFX.
Their service is excellent and they always answer the phone quickly and answer questions efficiently.
I'm currently in the process of buying a house here and need to withdraw all my UK funds from various banks and accounts.
As much as I have had headaches getting my money out from Halifax, Natwest etc, HIFX have been excellent.

Each bank has their own limit as to how much you can transfer....HSBC is 10,000 pound, Halifax is 15,000 pounds.
I called HIFX to warn them that I was having trouble getting my funds into their account and they said it was no problem, they'd keep me locked in at the agreed rate of exchange for about two weeks, which is great considering the exchange rate has since dropped.

My advice is check them out, you won't be disappointed!

I too have a HiFX account - which I have never used because their rates are so very bad. Most of the transaction is done online, so there's no opportunity for haggling the rate.

I also have an account with Sterling Exchange, but I always use World First (http://www.worldfirst.com) just because they'll always beat any other quote. I don't work for them - but maybe I should ask for some recommendation fees, I've recommended them so many times on this forum! I normally transfer £5000 or more at a time get a good rate and avoid fees. The process is incredibly simple - phone them up (using Skype), agree a rate, they email me link to a form on their website where I type in the recipient bank details (unless I've moved money to that account before, in which case I skip this step) then I trasnfer money via internet banking (or phone banking) to them. About 3 days later the $$$s appear.

If you need $cash, and you can get to Oxford Street, London, then use the dodgy looking geezers at the back of the tacky souvenir shops - they'll beat EVERYONE! I've used them a few times and yes, the cash is real! I don't know how much cash they have there - you might have to fix a rate and come back the next day for $5K.

An interesting note - nobody will take this advice - from my experience (having lived abroad for many years, in different countries) people will just use what is most familiar and continue to do so for many years, throwing their money away. You are probably thinking "well, it may cost a few more quid here and there, but I'm happy with Barclays...HiFx...or whatever". Crazy.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
I too have a HiFX account - which I have never used because their rates are so very bad.
You have to be joking having used them for a number of years and often checking their rate it is as good as you will get anywhere.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just checked them, xe and worldfirst are just about the same.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

for smaller amounts off cash ..some delivered free..

http://www.comparetravelmoney.com/index.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.