Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help! still in Arizona!

Help! still in Arizona!

Old May 24th 2010, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! still in Arizona!

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
And in many ways multiculturalism has changed England much for the better. Many cities are now far more vibrant and interesting than they were a quarter to half a century ago, and immigrants have played no small part in that. Drastic change can be positive as well as negative - or more likely a mixture of both.
Which cities would you cite as references? London was a perfect example, in my view, of a great multicultural city back in the late 70s/early 80s when I lived there, and I imagine it's the same today - people from Australia, Europe, Middle-East, Asia, etc - fantastic place. But where I grew up - 'up north', post-industrial wasteland (North West, just north of Manchester) I'd say the "Multiculturalism" has been a big negative. There is only one type of immigrant there - primarily Pakistani-origin (eg, Bradford, 15% of population; Oldham 13%, Nelson 13%, etc), and these percentages don't reflect the percentages in the inner-city and poorer neighborhoods. These immigrants have not made any effort to integrate, and have essentially displaced and disrupted the local population.

Come to think of it, these places were shitty dumps before, and are now just different types of shitty dumps (I can say that, I grew up in one! ). Thank God I was able to get out.

I have to say there is ONE unequivocal contribution ... the FOOD! Without a doubt, the best food in the UK is the 'Indian' food (Indian/Pakistani) so there is some good to come out of it!
Old May 24th 2010, 3:09 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

a little harsh.

Liverpool and Manchester are hardly recognisable from what they were in the 80's
Old May 24th 2010, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
a little harsh.

Liverpool and Manchester are hardly recognisable from what they were in the 80's
Add Birmingham to that list, a place hardly recognizable from the 70's. And I would also say that London is a more vibrant place than it was back then too.
Old May 24th 2010, 3:23 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Add Birmingham to that list, a place hardly recognizable from the 70's. And I would also say that London is a more vibrant place than it was back then too.
I'm not au fait with Birmingham, but I can believe it.......
Old May 24th 2010, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

a little harsh.

Is your point that Liverpool and Manchester are much improved, and improved because of the immigration?
Old May 24th 2010, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

I know England has changed in many ways, for those living there, they just deal with it as part of life and probably only see minor changes. But for us visiting, it is a major shock and does bring a tear to the eye. I always want to remember my England as a magical place. It's the sweet memories that I can share with my family here. And even if we did move back it will be hard to accept the changes and to adjust. We will be foreigners in our own land. it's not the place most of us left all those years ago. But we have memories that many people from other nations do not have or will never understand. I miss Chistmas the most and then the summers at the seaside and picnics in the park by a river. Even the dew on the morning grass in October and frost in november.
I miss the times my dad would get us to jump in the car and drive us down a country lane to some historical pub, we'd sit outside and have coke and crisps. Oh how I miss the country roads around Buckinghamshire (my family is still there). The fish and chips, bangers and mash even birds eye fishfingers. Took alot for granted.
Hubby's cousin came to stay with us for a while, she is from Nottingham. Now that she is back-she'll ring me up every week to tell me how she sees her home with new eyes, literally. She walks every day now and savours every minute, even on the cool days she is out and about and notices all the history more now and loves seeing people walking around-something she did not see here in AZ.
We did visit Scottsdale saturday night-we were looking for the waterfront, walkable areas-hubby said it was just few shops overlooking the AZ canal!! It was getting dark so could'nt find it. But did drive through old town-nice to see people around and some cobbled streets. Next time we will go earlier and explore more-trouble is can't go too early-don't want to be sweating while shopping!!!
Old May 24th 2010, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by usoruk
... ...
We did visit Scottsdale saturday night-we were looking for the waterfront, walkable areas-hubby said it was just few shops overlooking the AZ canal!! It was getting dark so could'nt find it. But did drive through old town-nice to see people around and some cobbled streets. Next time we will go earlier and explore more-trouble is can't go too early-don't want to be sweating while shopping!!!
The picture below is of the waterfront. It is 'just a few shops overlooking the canal' - but it is very pretty, and acts as a link between the newly developed 'waterfront' area to the north, and the older part of downtown to the south. Also, note that it is not really visible from the road - it is a pedestrian zone (something you are looking for!) - you have to get out of the car to find it.

Looking at the annotated map, for reference, the major intersection is Scottsdale and Camelback. '1' is the Fashion Square shopping mall; you can find ample parking there and enjoy a classic indoor mall experience if it's too hot. Then, you can browse '2' - the area south of the mall, north of the canal. There is a PF Chang on the corner of Scottsdale/Camelback, and a Barnes And Noble on another corner. If you head south past Barnes and Noble, you will eventually get to "Olive and Ivy", which is in the photo, overlooking the water. Then you should see '3', which is a pedestrian only footbridge over the canal, and is where the picture was taken. From there, you can meander around several shops, and eventually go down Stetson, 5th, or 3rd Ave to Scottsdale Road ('4'), where you will see a very lively 'bar/restaurant' scene - lots of very busy places with people all around. You can walk back up Scottsdale Rd and turn left onto Camelback (at the PF Chang again) and back to the mall for your car. Thats a very easy, pleasant walk.

If you are more adventurous, you can keep waking south down Scottsdale Rd, past Indian School, and explore '5', which is true 'old town', and cross Scottsdale to '6' which is the 'gallery' section. Note that 5 and 6 are the 'old town' parts of Scottsdale, while '3' and '4' are also older and quite lively. Area '5' has a lot of night-time foot traffic, while '6' is more daytime/gallery oriented - so skip 6 if you want to see hoards of people.

The area to the east of '5' is also fun during the day - I was there yesterday - that's where the civic center, performing arts center, etc are - nice fountains, etc (3rd pic). If you want, you can do the '1/2/3/4' walk, then drive down and park near '5' and explore there too.
Attached Thumbnails Help! still in Arizona!-p1000512-sml1200.jpg   Help! still in Arizona!-scottsdaledowntownmap.jpg   Help! still in Arizona!-p1020381-sml1200.jpg  

Last edited by Steerpike; May 24th 2010 at 4:04 pm.
Old May 24th 2010, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Is your point that Liverpool and Manchester are much improved, and improved because of the immigration?
I would say that immigration has been a significant contributor to the increased vibrancy of the major cities, especially Birmingham. But I do also agree that in some places - particular towns that had severe socio-economic issues prior to large-scale immigration, immigration has brought with it significant issues- Blackburn and Burnley are obvious examples. In other words, it's very much a mixed bag.

And I strongly disagree with the premise that a "magical England" has somehow disappeared because of immigration. Some of that is coded racism.

This survey is a bit old (but after 7/7). Interesting that a majority are in favour of multiculturalism:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4137990.stm

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 24th 2010 at 4:06 pm.
Old May 24th 2010, 4:00 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'd say I don't think it hurt.

Whilst as you say, there may be problem areas such as Oldham and the like, the fact you can now find a nice Spanish tapas bar in Bury or authentic Armenian etc is positive don't you think.

But improvements in culture is just one aspect. A change in the mindset is another. Whilst many people denegrate the EU and the influx of johnny foreigners. Many Brits have become more European. We don't think twice anymore to sitting in outside cafes on nice days watching the world go around. We've embraced the social drinking culture of 24 hours pubs without any additional aggro and I'll hazard a guess that drink as much as you can till 11pm then spew it up in a taxi after battering people on the way home has been cut dramatically.

Last edited by Manc; May 24th 2010 at 4:05 pm.
Old May 24th 2010, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say I don't think it hurt.

Whilst as you say, there may be problem areas such as Oldham and the like, the fact you can now find a nice Spanish tapas bar in Bury or authentic Armenian etc is positive don't you think.

But improvements in culture is just one aspect. A change in the mindset is another. Whilst many people denegrate the EU and the influx of johnny foreigners. Many Brits have become more European. We don't think twice anymore to sitting in outside cafes on nice days watching the world go around. We've embraced the social drinking culture or 24 hours pubs without any additional aggro and I'll hazard a guess that drink as much as you can till 11pm then spew it up in a taxi after battering people on the way home has been cut dramatically.
If you go somewhere like Gateshead with very little immigration you see the reverse - a dead ghost town.
Old May 24th 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

Giantaxe-"Magical England" - for me, at least, refers to growing up somewhere that almost reminds me of the "narnia" image, Christmas card village scene (I don't see it here, especially in AZ!!) England will never lose that-the rich history, breathtaking, NATURAL beauty, not man-made - NO connection to racism at all- I am Indian myself - respect all cultures -that is it- it has never bothered me about what type of ethnic minority groups are around - just as long as everybody is respectable to each other AND respect the country they live in - that's what counts for me. Going back to UK for a visit, after being in sunny, HOA controlled environments, empty footpaths, wide, clean highways, fake everything ie even hedges don't look natural-things will look small, old, grey, dirty, overcrowded and different back home -that is ok-its just because most of us have been away for so long and have forgotten where we have come from, that magic may seem to no longer exist-but IT IS still there- I suppose just got to look for it and relive some good times.
Steerpike-We are planning to take another visit to scottsdale again and will definately explore all the places mentioned-great map-thanx.

Last edited by usoruk; May 24th 2010 at 10:25 pm.
Old May 24th 2010, 10:13 pm
@matthewb76

breathtaking, NATURAL beauty,
yeah the grand canyon is a bit shit isn't it.
Old May 24th 2010, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

USA has many beautiful places, visited Niagara falls, Grand Canyon, west coast, East coast, the Rockies, Yellowstone-but for me personally-the emerald green country side of the British Isles is what I miss the most.
Note-what I MISS. And most of my comparisons, are of the AZ suburban valley to the idyllic, quaint scenes of England
Old May 24th 2010, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

jovauk is an unknown quantity at this point

We did visit prescott (Lynx Lake) on mothers day, nice, cooler and greener. I will check out Cambria and Mendocino. Any North east places you would recommend to research ie Boston area, New Hamp. maine etc.
Yes, hubby knows how I feel, but I suppose his hands are tied, with recesson, homes sales, work, (he is in IT-self employed-so he would have to set up all over again in new place where there are lots of job poss.) I understand what you are all saying. Of course I want to make a go of it and want to adapt. But I really do not know how. Especially when we are living in a place which I really do not like or enjoy. I know this will sound strange, but can someone point out a step by step plan to adaptability. In my mind I can still see myself getting all my bits done in the UK on one quick shopping trip to the high street for example. Here I am in and out of the hot car with the little ones, 4 of them, just to go to 2 or 3 shops-it takes me hours. Even my kids are bored with target, walmart, library and the tiny, bare duck pond!! Be kind, as I am trying. I have been a stay at home mum for a long time now and have tried all the typical mum/kid stuff to get intergrated.
Hey usoruk..I have been living here for 9 years in Mesa and I really dont think that you do ever get used to the heat in the summer months but the rest of the time can be pretty great and as others have said cooler spots are only a short drive away....how old are your kids....I have a 5 year old son. Sometimes I find its just chatting to other UK peeps that helps....let me know whereabouts in the valley u are and maybe we can arrange to have a drink or something;-)
Old May 24th 2010, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the grand canyon is a bit shit isn't it.
Compared too, say the arndale centre? too bloody right!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.