Reload this Page >

Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Marmite all the way!

But the frustrating thing about this thread is that the OP will not answer the visa question and continues to burble on about living in Pacific Palisades......dream world or what?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:54 pm
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Picnic
Marmite all the way!

But the frustrating thing about this thread is that the OP will not answer the visa question and continues to burble on about living in Pacific Palisades......dream world or what?
At least he didn't say Beverly Hills.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:48 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite and cheese on toast, all the way.

I was once a tour guide for a group of Japanese high schoolers visiting the UK. One girl mistook a hotel sachet of marmite for chocolate spread, and ate a whole spoonful at once. Cue coughing, dry heaves and tears. Then everyone wanted to try it. We actually had to request more marmite, and I don't think the photos subsequently taken will ever feature in an ad campaign.

Okay, as a Brit who's recently moved to LA, and moreover is stuck at home today while carpets are being fitted, I did write a long and po-faced reply to the OP. But I won't post it, because I don't really think he's listening yet, and neither is anyone else who's decided to relocate to LA and will 'work out' the visa once they've chosen between Malibu and Pacific Palisades. Vanes, honestly, good luck to you and the family, have a great trip, and just don't sign any contracts (houses, schools, jobs) until you have a visa.

(Also, hello to everyone on this forum. I've been lurking for ages and it's been very very helpful.)
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:51 pm
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi

I was once a tour guide for a group of Japanese high schoolers visiting the UK. One girl mistook a hotel sachet of marmite for chocolate spread, and ate a whole spoonful at once. Cue coughing, dry heaves and tears. Then everyone wanted to try it. We actually had to request more marmite, and I don't think the photos subsequently taken will ever feature in an ad campaign.
O my gosh, I did that with vegemite when I was in New Zealand. Scarred for life.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, as a Brit who's recently moved to LA, and moreover is stuck at home today while carpets are being fitted, I did write a long and po-faced reply to the OP. But I won't post it, because I don't really think he's listening yet, and neither is anyone else who's decided to relocate to LA and will 'work out' the visa once they've chosen between Malibu and Pacific Palisades. Vanes, honestly, good luck to you and the family, have a great trip, and just don't sign any contracts (houses, schools, jobs) until you have a visa.

(Also, hello to everyone on this forum. I've been lurking for ages and it's been very very helpful.)
Welcome to BE.

Oxo and cheese on toast for me.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Bovril on fried bread -- the breakfast of champions!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
then we shouldn't call them yanks
FWIW -- during the Second World War, the War Department published a weekly magazine called Yank. When one of my uncles passed away in 1964, we discovered 40 issues in his effects -- it was the British edition from his time in the 8th Air Force.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Welcome! Bovril on fried bread -- the breakfast of champions!
I was wondering how long before that was mentioned!!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Neither did I.
You are now officially another bloody ****.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You are now officially another bloody ****.
The possibilities...
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vanes
LOL point taken, Southampton accents are bad enough! Santa Monica wouldnt be for us anyway, I think from what we have seen and heard we prefer a little more north! What about the Pacific Palisades?

Having lived down the hill in LA for a few years before moving to the other end of the county I discovered one thing:

You absolutely couldn't pay me enough to live in LA.

For the price of a leaky shed in Palisades you could own a 10 acre ranch where I am.... & while all those people down the hill are getting fog & rain it's clear blue up here & NO smog

My next move however, will be out of California.... to America.