Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Originally Posted by N1cky
Thanks Bob, Sorry I wasn't very clear was I. I knew what I was thinking.

Does Culver City fit with the outside life they want? I've only ever been to the mall there. I suppose its a reasonable drive down to the coast from there.
It has a park

It's not too far from the coast, it seems quite a convivial place.

Unless they are seriously loaded, they are going to have to look at places like this.

Houses are still around $3,000 to rent though:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...20438453_zpid/

Last edited by Sally Redux; Nov 29th 2010 at 10:55 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

And now back to the real question –VISA. Not to be rude but “we are seriously thinking of moving in a year or two” does not quite cut it.

Need to have a business plan and serious money to move.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob, Sorry I wasn't very clear was I. I knew what I was thinking.

That sounds reasonable...cost us over $2K per month to rent an apartment 15 yrs ago.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The public schools that your children will go to is determined by the address of your home. Use the following map to get an idea of the rank of schools in different areas. You can click on any of the symbols to get more information about the school.

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...00159%2C11%2C1
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:28 am
Looking for tax advice!

Vanes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies guys, we have been to LA on a number of occasions now but not enough to know where we would ideally like to live. I am interested to hear what you, being Brits, seeing it and having done it think. Can you all come up with some locations that you suggest we should visit whilst we are there in December. Ideally we would like to stay a week in one area and a week in another as this should give us a good feel for them. Schools are very important so we need to be near great schools, and without wishing to sound snobby private is our preference, any suggestions? As for the living area, we just want to be near a great community, outdoor playing parks, activity centres etc. Speak soon, Alvin
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanes
Thanks for your replies guys, we have been to LA on a number of occasions now but not enough to know where we would ideally like to live. I am interested to hear what you, being Brits, seeing it and having done it think. Can you all come up with some locations that you suggest we should visit whilst we are there in December. Ideally we would like to stay a week in one area and a week in another as this should give us a good feel for them. Schools are very important so we need to be near great schools, and without wishing to sound snobby private is our preference, any suggestions? As for the living area, we just want to be near a great community, outdoor playing parks, activity centres etc. Speak soon, Alvin
Private will cost...in NJ kindergarten starts around $25k per year. You are also expected to cough up a 'healthy donation' each year. Google is your friend.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:46 am
Looking for tax advice!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Private will cost...in NJ kindergarten starts around $25k per year. You are also expected to cough up a 'healthy donation' each year. Google is your friend.
Thanks Jersey girl!!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jersey girl!!
If you Google to find the names of private schools in Ca and go to their website the fees will probably be listed.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:01 am
Looking for tax advice!

If you Google to find the names of private schools in Ca and go to their website the fees will probably be listed.
Need to establish the area we would like to relocate to first I suppose!!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested to hear what you, being Brits, seeing it and having done it think.
Since you ask, I suggest you concentrate your efforts on the visa - without which, all of this is just a pipe dream. You are setting yourself up for heartache if you don't get the visa - especially if you put so much effort into researching where to live, what school to send the kids to, and just about everything else. No visa = no move. Once you get the visa, there's plenty of time to sort out the rest of it.

Ian
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I realise you're probably only sussing this all out at the moment...but as Ian has said you really need to sort the visa out first. If you can't get a visa you're wasting your time looking at school fees, areas to live etc.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Figure out the likelyhood of getting the visa, if it's no chance, don't waste the time and enjoy the holiday.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

I was smiling to myself in the car at the weekend, I went to a mall 11 miles away it took me 15 minutes. I've got so used to 11 miles taking 40 minutes in LA.
My morning commute in LA is 50 miles, takes about 45 minutes. Apparently I live in the right part, up the hill

As for the OP's asking about Santa Monica:

There are approx 300,000 Brit ex pats living in California, with the exception of maybe 6 of us, all the others seem to live in Santa Monica. As you're from Pompey you'l understand this: It's like Southampton, but with scouse accents...
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RickWG
There are approx 300,000 Brit ex pats living in California, with the exception of maybe 6 of us, all the others seem to live in Santa Monica. As you're from Pompey you'l understand this: It's like Southampton, but with scouse accents...
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:06 am
Looking for tax advice!

I realise you're probably only sussing this all out at the moment...but as Ian has said you really need to sort the visa out first. If you can't get a visa you're wasting your time looking at school fees, areas to live etc.
I appreciate this probably doesn’t work without the Visa but I am sure well find a way around this if LA is the place we finally want to move to. Plus it would be like saving for a car we’ve never driven..... I would rather get to know the areas first, see what they are like then once we have definitely decided that LA is for us then we can exhaust the Visa situation. But I am aware and take on board your advice that it is not as straight forward as the UK. All you have to do here is seek asylum and not only are you fine, they give you all the benefits you could ever dream of....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.