Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

Wikiposts

HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:52 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have consistently found prices for electrical goods to be the same number of $ as £, i.e. at current exchange rates, about 48% cheaper than in the UK.

For example a current spec computer, nothing fancy, will cost about $350-$400 from Gateway (US), but will cost about the same in £ for some thing "off the shelf" at PC World in the UK - and approach £600 for something I would consider as good as a Gateway PC.
My cousin was visiting us last week and bought an Ipod. He said it was the same in pounds as it was in $.

(How do you do the Pound sign on a US keyboard?).

On the other hand he was shocked to hear that our housing tax was almost $13,000 last year (it's gone up by $1,000 each year that we've been here in mid-2000 ) and that we have to pay extra to use the town pool & 9 hole golf course in the Summer ($250 per family) plus $116 seperate charge for sewage......

Last edited by Englishmum; Apr 17th 2005 at 4:56 am.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

Originally Posted by Englishmum
(How do you do the Pound sign on a US keyboard?).
Hold Alt ..then 0163 on the numeric keypad ..then release ALT
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
Hold Alt ..then 0163 on the numeric keypad ..then release ALT
That's been bugging me for ages! Thanks for that Ray..you're very clever!

Lottie
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
That's been bugging me for ages! Thanks for that Ray..you're very clever!
could just get a keyboard from blighty via amazon
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:04 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

Originally Posted by earwig999
But the main reason is you get much more for your $ than you do for your £.

You can't deny things are cheap in the USA. Try coming to London or even Nottingham for a week and see how quickly your money dissapears. Rip Off Britain springs to mind.

I have a few reasons to move to Florida. Cheaper, Better weather, better education for my Son, to be nearer to family and to make my fortune.
For what its worth, The state of Florida is in the BOTTOM 10 of state education rankings. So good luck squeezing a better education outta that.

You can try polishing a turd but it's still a turd.