Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:51 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!! advice wanted to help us move

Originally Posted by earwig999
You have jumped into this thread and critisised me already. Thank you. Maybe a quick read of previous posts would help.

I am interested in moving to Florida.
I know that I have read the thread. I mean which area of Florida. For instance, if you look at prices in the Keys, you would be lucky to get a nice house for less than $500,000.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that what this forum is all about.............research??

I am after opinions and seem to be getting a lot of bad ones back from you all. Now does this mean that if you all had the chance you would move back to the UK or does it mean you just don't want to have yet another Brit moving over?

I don't see many Americans moving to the UK, I wonder why this is?
You asked for opinions and you are getting them, the people here are trying to let you know that being on vacation and living here are too differant things. We are lucky that we have a green card and a private pension from u.k. and we only work for beer and benifits. The U.S is a great place and I love Florida and would never go back, and hope to become a citizen this year. Emmals is my daughter and hopes to come over she's seen both sides of Florida and I think she has her eyes open to the fact that it will be hard for them. But if they are determined and work hard I'm sure they will have much better lifestyle than in U.K.If you don't like the answers you are getting you shouldn't have asked in the first place. Having said that you are lucky that there is a forum like this with all the differant views to help and advise you.When we made the move from U.K. I wish we could have had some of the advice given on here. Take note of all the advice positive or negative, it is your life only you can say what is best for you. Good Luck with whatever you decide at least on this forum people will tell you how it is from their experiences.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:58 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why you maybe perceiving some flaming, is because when people have offered their opinions on the cost of living here, you have chosen to disagree, rather than actually listen.
Maybe if you accept that some things will be more expensive here than expected, you may get a better reception.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
The reason why you maybe perceiving some flaming, is because when people have offered their opinions on the cost of living here, you have chosen to disagree, rather than actually listen.
Maybe if you accept that some things will be more expensive here than expected, you may get a better reception.
have to agree......we are not flaming you....you are jumping on our backs when we offer advice....if you want to learn something bite your tongue......these people are living the dream and know what they are talking about......behaviour breads behaviour
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I
I am not on here to argue the toss over what is cheaper here and there. I joined to get peoples advice who have been in the same situation I am in. Did these people get flamed when they asked similar questions or did someone say look here it is. You need to get blah blah blah.
It is unfortunate... but we do get on this forum virtually every week the moron ..who goes to florida for 2 weeks and wants to move there just like that ... with no skill..etc... You do have an advantage with your parents already here ... I suggest you go read my forum at
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/floridadays/index.cgi lots and lots to read there just on Florida ...
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Houses maybe cheaper, but you have to compare. A huge amount are not built well, an old house here is something built in the 80's. Add the open floor plan and your heating/cooling bills can be insane.

Also remember, anything health related is run as a business. I test medical software and I've seen often seen a SINGLE bill for $200,000+ Most of which wont be covered by insurance. Just look at how much doctors charge, $37 just to get blood taken is not uncommon, and that is before any tests are done. Also, if you have or anyone on your plan has a pre existing condition, chances are you will pay a huge amount. I've seen reputable companies that have an employee contribution to their medical only plan at over $400 for a single person. And that's without dental and eye care. I know people who budget over $1500 a year for 3 peoples prescription and co-pay bills.

Now, not noing where you are from I can't say for sure, but the schools in Florida are not better than England. Florida is known for having a pretty bad public education system so to get the better one you talk about you need to be shelling out for a private one that will probably be of equal standard to a UK school.

Lets see about the cost of living. Yes some things are cheaper, but lets compare. Small loaf of semi-decent bread $2.50, 1 gallon of skimmed milk $2.95, can of Heinz Baked Beans $1.99, leg of lamb $9 a lb, semi decent ground beef $2 per lb. I have also never seen food as cheap as you mentioned earlier. Then you have electrical things, most are the same or more expensive than England, oh and if you want an OK choice of TV to watch rather than a bad choice you will be looking aroung $25-50 a month, phone service is a rip off and internet service is crap unless you get cable. The combined total of TV, cable and internet would be around $150 a month give or take, provided that you don't call anyone in a different county or too far away, then the sky is the limit.
I know you wont believe this but out of all the countries in the developed word, America is one of the furthest behind in tems of technology.
Oh, I amost forgot. If you want to work, expect a max of 2 weeks off a year and 9 hour days. A lot of companies wont give benifits to anyone working part time, which is often anything under 34 hours a week .Oh and expect bad pension plans where they will contribute a small amount and then take it all back if you leave within certain times, could be 3 years employment, could be 2 years, could be if you leave within a plan year you loose everything for that year.
America is run as a business and people are out to make as much as they can. Overall, it is not cheaper than England.
I hope you do manged to live here, then you will realise that it is not always greener on the other side and that you were very wrong about a lot of things. But I hope you don't so you wont have to suffer going through immigration and then hating it when you get here.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Houses maybe cheaper, but you have to compare. A huge amount are not built well, an old house here is something built in the 80's. Add the open floor plan and your heating/cooling bills can be insane.

Also remember, anything health related is run as a business. I test medical software and I've seen often seen a SINGLE bill for $200,000+ Most of which wont be covered by insurance. Just look at how much doctors charge, $37 just to get blood taken is not uncommon, and that is before any tests are done. Also, if you have or anyone on your plan has a pre existing condition, chances are you will pay a huge amount. I've seen reputable companies that have an employee contribution to their medical only plan at over $400 for a single person. And that's without dental and eye care. I know people who budget over $1500 a year for 3 peoples prescription and co-pay bills.

Now, not noing where you are from I can't say for sure, but the schools in Florida are not better than England. Florida is known for having a pretty bad public education system so to get the better one you talk about you need to be shelling out for a private one that will probably be of equal standard to a UK school.

Lets see about the cost of living. Yes some things are cheaper, but lets compare. Small loaf of semi-decent bread $2.50, 1 gallon of skimmed milk $2.95, can of Heinz Baked Beans $1.99, leg of lamb $9 a lb, semi decent ground beef $2 per lb. I have also never seen food as cheap as you mentioned earlier. Then you have electrical things, most are the same or more expensive than England, oh and if you want an OK choice of TV to watch rather than a bad choice you will be looking aroung $25-50 a month, phone service is a rip off and internet service is crap unless you get cable. The combined total of TV, cable and internet would be around $150 a month give or take, provided that you don't call anyone in a different county or too far away, then the sky is the limit.
I know you wont believe this but out of all the countries in the developed word, America is one of the furthest behind in tems of technology.
Oh, I amost forgot. If you want to work, expect a max of 2 weeks off a year and 9 hour days. A lot of companies wont give benifits to anyone working part time, which is often anything under 34 hours a week .Oh and expect bad pension plans where they will contribute a small amount and then take it all back if you leave within certain times, could be 3 years employment, could be 2 years, could be if you leave within a plan year you loose everything for that year.
America is run as a business and people are out to make as much as they can. Overall, it is not cheaper than England.
I hope you do manged to live here, then you will realise that it is not always greener on the other side and that you were very wrong about a lot of things. But I hope you don't so you wont have to suffer going through immigration and then hating it when you get here.
just a question......but why are you in america.....you have not said one positive thing about living there.....there must be a reason why you moved there?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
just a question......but why are you in america.....you have not said one positive thing about living there.....there must be a reason why you moved there?
there are lots of positives.

but I think Duncan's answers were more to the points raised by earwig that he mainly didn't agree with.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm married to an American and don't have kids. Getting some experience that will hopefully come in useful in the future and plan to move back at somepoint. Plus I like steaks cooked on a grill!
I enjoy living here now, but I can see what I thought it would be like and what it is like are completely different. I also find it better to point out negatives. People in general choose to focus on the positive things and ignore the bad things. If you are prepared for both you have a better chance of making a good choice.

Another thing I forgot to mention was any insurance/loan rate, will be based on your credit scrre, you will have none and it will be way more expensive than somebody who has lived here for a while. You may also find it hard to get things like credit/store cards that you take for granted.

Overall I don't tink there is any difference whatsoever between England and USA, what you gain in one place you loose in others.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Manc
there are lots of positives.

but I think Duncan's answers were more to the points raised by earwig that he mainly didn't agree with.
I wasn't having a go at Duncan.....i just didn't read any positives......maybe i didn't see them because i don't live in the states yet.....and i can understand why he doesn't agree with a lot of earwigs points.....Duncan is there earwig isn't......like i said no offense was meant
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Overall I don't tink there is any difference whatsoever between England and USA, what you gain in one place you loose in others.
your shit still stinks, you're just shitting in a different bucket is all.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by emmals
I wasn't having a go at Duncan.....i just didn't read any positives......maybe i didn't see them because i don't live in the states yet.....and i can understand why he doesn't agree with a lot of earwigs points.....Duncan is there earwig isn't......like i said no offense was meant
None taken, even before I read that!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

None taken, even before I read that!
I liked your reply....seeing it as an experience......that is our main reason for wanting to live in the us for a while....life is full of experiences waiting to be grasped....i couldn't go through live doing the same thing day in day out for ever.....i want to sample different lives.....maybe later i'll want to settle down ....i just wish we had done this before we had kids
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So, back to the beginning. earwig, how do you think you're going to convince the US Government to let you move here?

Edit: You mentioned that your father is a US Citizen. Seems to me that your best (and maybe) only hope is for a green card through him. That'll put you in the third preference tier of family members, so it might take some time to happen.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Apr 15th 2005 at 2:22 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:33 pm
my arm aches

Currently Third Family Sponsored Preferences are at 22nd Jan 1998.

Visa Bulletin for April 05

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.