Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?

Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?

Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:01 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
To be fair, the 65-70% I quoted was for deliveries in an inner city hospital. Overall, the Medicaid rate nationwide runs at about 50%. The number of births in the US in 2012 was just shy of 4,000,000.
Is that 50% number for the percentage of births? It seems far too high given the overall number of people on Medicaid is in the 20% range on this chart and nationwide it is 17%

http://kff.org/medicaid/state-indica...t-as-a-of-pop/

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/dail...-coverage.aspx

I have seen numbers that show the number of children on Medicaid to be very high, approaching 50%, just not the overall numbers.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Is that 50% number for the percentage of births? It seems far too high given the overall number of people on Medicaid is in the 20% range on this chart and nationwide it is 17%
I have seen numbers that show the number of children on Medicaid to be very high, approaching 50%, just not the overall numbers.
Yes, percentage of all births and it is high. I have pediatrician friends who tell me the bulk of their practice are kids on medicaid.

http://www.whijournal.com/article/S1...055-8/fulltext

Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?-medicaid-pregancy-500.png
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
This is a worrying statement; "65-70% of the moms we delivered received Medicaid which paid for their hospital stay"

If the initial ante-natal treatment and birthing need to be paid for out of the public purse, one wonders what else during the child's life will be paid for out of tax payer's dollars?

The majority of pregnancies are life choices - however if one decides to continue with a pregnancy one obviously cannot afford, should the tax payer be on the line for such pregnancy expenses?
Since the child in question had no choice in the matter, yes the care should be covered for the child's needs should the parent not be able to provide it.

A child should not have to suffer for their parents lack of responsibility.

My sister has 1 kid on medi-cal, not because she could not afford health insurance as she pays for her other children, but because she could find no health insurance company that would insure her child with a pre-existing heart condition.

Now with the new rules, I have no idea if he will still be on medi-cal or be taken off and placed onto her insurance policy.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Highly unscientific but from just what I have heard I would not be surprised.

Medicaid limits going up, large families tend to be poorer anyway, plus the temptation of the grey economy, makes sense the numbers would go up not down.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Jan 8th 2014 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Highly unscientific but from just what I have heard I would not be surprised.

Medicaid limits going up, large families tend to be poorer anyway, plus the temptation of the grey economy, makes sense the numbers would go up not down.
Maybe not. There used to be a perverse incentive with Medicaid in that only a handful of states covered households without a minor child, regardless of income. Post ACA, for those states that have accepted the Medicaid expansion, anyone under 133% of the federal poverty level is eligible, not just those in households with a minor child. Of course, the perverse incentive will remain in those states that have refused the expansion.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Bear-F is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for your help with looking into this. After much research and discussion we have decided to postpone our move to the US for one year.

All the best.