Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?

Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?

Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Bear-F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?

Hi All,

My wife and I are part-way through our application for her spouse visa for us to both move to the US (I am a USC living in UK).

We have recently discovered she is pregnant ... wonderful news! But this throws up quite a few questions for us.

When we arrive in the US I will be searching for a new job (we have savings which we'll live off for a while). Any insurance with a new job may take a few months to kick in and we're therefore looking at our options through Healthcare.gov ... does anyone know if there are restrictions on claiming any medicare whilst on a Green Card?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year everyone!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare and Green Card Visa - claiming Medicare?

Medicare based on pregnancy can be claimed by a Green Card holder - that won't cover the father though.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:36 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not ideal I'm sure but you, as the USC, can move back anytime. Is it worth job-hunting now and maybe travelling ahead so that you can obtain medical insurance ahead of your wife's arrival in the US?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Bear-F is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you. Yes - we are considering the option of me traveling ahead of her.

Do any of you know if the fact that we have a joint sponsor of the Affidavit of Support would affect her eligibility for Medicare?

i.e. if she cannot afford the health insurance is it up to the joint sponsor to help financially or is it OK to claim Medicare?

Thank you!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bear-F
Do any of you know if the fact that we have a joint sponsor of the Affidavit of Support would affect her eligibility for Medicare?
No, it has no effect.

i.e. if she cannot afford the health insurance is it up to the joint sponsor to help financially or is it OK to claim Medicare?
The sponsor and/or joint sponsor are not liable to pay any medical bills or health insurance premiums. They are only liable to repay the US government if any means-tested government benefits are used. I don't believe Medicare is a means-tested benefit.

However, I don't know if a new US PR is eligible for Medicare immediately. You'll have to look into that.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
Medicare is for the elderly and I don't think she is 65 or over and having a baby.

However you are both eligible for the "Affordable Care Act" (ACA) where the cost is based on income. Part of ACA includes Medicaid (almost half the states opted out of Medicaid Expansion) where I believe she is eligible if your income is below 133% of the poverty level (if the state is enrolled) or 134%-400% of the poverty level where the government provides subsidies (all states). Check the following web site for information.

https://www.healthcare.gov/
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare and Immigrant Visa - claiming Medicare?

Medicare is not relevant - it is only available to people over the age of 65 (or who are disabled) and who have at least 10 years of contributions.

What the OP needs is health care insurance.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Michael and MD. I was beginning to think I didn't understand what Medicare was. Perhaps the poster is thinking of Medicaid which requires one to be without or have little financial funds.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Thank you, Michael and MD. I was beginning to think I didn't understand what Medicare was. Perhaps the poster is thinking of Medicaid which requires one to be without or have little financial funds.
So it is not just me that says Medicaid but means Medicare. And the other way around.

You can certainly buy through the exchange with whatever tax credit you can get, you can not as the person sponsored get Medicaid. The USC could if eligible.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And remember that post-ACA, in cooperating states Medicaid now covers anyone up to 133% of the federal poverty level. So the OP's eligibility may depend on what state they end up resident in.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
Medicare is for over 65's - not relevant to you or your wife by the sounds of it.

You will have to apply for medical insurance plans on the Exchange relevant to your state or on Healthcare.gov
Old Jan 7th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So it is not just me that says Medicaid but means Medicare. And the other way around.
No it's not just you - most people don't have a clue about Medicaid vs Medicare unless they have actually had to deal with eligibility for one or other.

To make matters even more confusing, while Medicaid programs are jointly funded by the federal and state governments, they are administered by each individual state which means that the precise eligibility criteria can vary depending on where you live.

... and some states give fancy names to their Medicaid programs - so, for example, if you live in California it is actually called "Medi-Cal" ...
Old Jan 7th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

you can not as the person sponsored get Medicaid. The USC could if eligible.
Actually, there is Emergency Medicaid which as long as you meet income requirements is available for all ..even the undocumented. It is technically used for life threatening emergencies, but can and is used (a lot) in maternity units all over the US.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Actually, there is Emergency Medicaid which as long as you meet income requirements is available for all ..even the undocumented. It is technically used for life threatening emergencies, but can and is used (a lot) in maternity units all over the US.
Ohh yes, not the full deal but I have come across many threads about it.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh yes, not the full deal but I have come across many threads about it.
Yes, Emergency Medicaid isn't brilliant, but better than nothing However, the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) included a new option for States to provide Medicaid and CHIP coverage to children and pregnant women who are lawfully residing in the United States, including those within their first five years of having certain legal status. At last count I think there were 21 States and DC participating. So OP has nearly 50/50 chance of having Medicaid coverage if meeting income and asset requirements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.