Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Quit her job, het re-hired for the duration with a job with no insurance, seek to get original position back when she goes back after the birth.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
This is because pregnancy is a pre existing condition which is not covered it seems. I have to say it had not even occurred to me before reading this forum that pregnancy would not be covered!
There is no way we can afford to have this baby uninsured.
It's a bugger ain't it.

where the missus use to work, the insurance wouldn't cover cost of birth control pills, but would cover abortions...and unless you had the managerial/5+ year work insurance, babies wouldn't be covered except for the birth and 6 hours in hospital, at that....It wasn't that crap when she started, but it became that way in the merger.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

England is looking like a very favourable option right now!
So you have to up sticks and move to the UK....that in itself is going to be expensive....then if you want to move back to the US.....
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:31 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly how crappy is her insurance? It may not be as bad as you think and as I said, she may find in England that she gets only midwife care, which I think is fine, but if she is fussy may not suit her.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:45 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

So the latest update on this farce is that my wife can NOT be covered at all unless she quits her job.
This is because pregnancy is a pre existing condition which is not covered it seems. I have to say it had not even occurred to me before reading this forum that pregnancy would not be covered!
There is no way we can afford to have this baby uninsured.
So now she has to quit her excellent job that she has spent years and years and thousands of dollars training for, a job that she is really excellent at just so she can be insured by my people.
England is looking like a very favourable option right now!
So I'm starting to wonder now, did you and your wife ever plan on having kids? I say this based on the "years and years and thousands of dollars training for" you mention.

I think it's a case of damned if you, damned if you don't.

How can England look like a favorable option? She'll have to leave her excellent job!

I really think you need to sit down together and write up the pros and cons of living in each country once the baby is born.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:12 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a bugger ain't it.

where the missus use to work, the insurance wouldn't cover cost of birth control pills, but would cover abortions...and unless you had the managerial/5+ year work insurance, babies wouldn't be covered except for the birth and 6 hours in hospital, at that....It wasn't that crap when she started, but it became that way in the merger.
whaaaaaat :scared: is that where she is working now? or before you moved? I am quite shocked at that :scared:
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:17 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I didn't have my records, so they made me have the injections, I had the DT (diphtheria & tetanus), the MMR & Varicella, I remember having chicken pox as a kid, but they made me have the vaccination anyway. If I were you, I'd just have the jabs, there's too much time, money & effort involved in getting your notes.

They offered to run tests to confirm that I was immune to these, but it would have cost more money & then if some came back negative, I'd need them anyway, so I just had them, saving time & money. My GC medical came to $399 (exam, HIV test, 2 Chest X-ray films & 3 shots - DT, MMR & Varicella).
Mine came to about $230 including shots- no records, so had to have the DT and MMR. had the exam, which consisted of the skin TB test, blood tests: HIV & Syphilis, and general banging on my knee test (reflexes, ears, sight etc).

The medical itself was not that pricey, and the doctor did let me know that if i wanted to, i could go get my shots at the local health authority very very cheaply, he told me how and where to go, but i just wanted to get it all over with while i was there, so paid the extra money.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:43 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]
to clarify somewhat..
both my wife and i work in good jobs, my job being better paid than hers.
my company offers excellent health insurance.. well apparently its one of the better ones.
However the big caveat with my insurance is that if my wife is offered insurance through her job then she is not allowed to take my insurance as her primary insurance.
It works at present because her previous employer who at the time of last years enrollment she was technically working for did not offer her insurance for her particular salary/experience level. She then got a new job which did offer insurance (the current job with the crappy insurance). I guess technically we should have told my insurance company but then she would have lost her health insurance with my insurance company.
So now is the new year, her current job still offers their crappy insurance and my insurance company has sent us a letter asking us to state whether she is still not being offered insurance by her employer which she is.
we could lie and say she is not working, the employer could lie and say they do not offer insurance or we tell the truth and my wife lose her current doctor and then we have to pay a huge % of the costs.

Its a real dilemma and something so alien to me. The idea that my wife has to quit her job in order to have a baby. This is of course an exageration but in a way not far from the truth. People have said how one should be able to choose a doctor, enjoy pregnancy but as far as I can see its just a nightmare and a tremendous stress on everyone, not the actual event just dealing with the insurance company.
My brief run in with the health insurance people so far has been unbelievably/criminally awful. So the idea of having a baby here is not very pleasant at all. But it looks like we have no choice sadly.[/QUOTE
Just wait till you are paying off the medical bills -
your wife has to get back to work as soon as she's had the baby because there's no paid maternity leave!! :scared:

Last edited by Hayley; Aug 22nd 2006 at 3:01 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:15 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a check sent to me from my healthcare Ins company...it was for babys time in ER...they can't pay the hospital for some reason.....I phoned the hospital and asked where to send the money and they said the bill had been paid in full by Mass health...so I phone my company about returning the check to them...and they said keep the money....no wonder costs are so high...
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:19 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a bugger ain't it.

My daughter gets her birth pills free...or at a low cost when she brings home enough pay...$7 for 3 months was her last bill...
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:20 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I just had a check sent to me from my healthcare Ins company...it was for babys time in ER...they can't pay the hospital for some reason.....I phoned the hospital and asked where to send the money and they said the bill had been paid in full by Mass health...so I phone my company about returning the check to them...and they said keep the money....no wonder costs are so high...

How much was it for?
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
whaaaaaat :scared: is that where she is working now? or before you moved? I am quite shocked at that :scared:
where she use to work...
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by krizzy
My daughter gets her birth pills free...or at a low cost when she brings home enough pay...$7 for 3 months was her last bill...
It was nae on impossible to get the pill in Maine, unless you lived in Portland, Bangor, Augusta and Waterville...as all the family planning would be closed when anyone might have a chance to go...nevermind teenagers...
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:25 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Partystar
I didn't have my records, so they made me have the injections, I had the DT (diphtheria & tetanus), the MMR & Varicella, I remember having chicken pox as a kid, but they made me have the vaccination anyway. If I were you, I'd just have the jabs, there's too much time, money & effort involved in getting your notes.

They offered to run tests to confirm that I was immune to these, but it would have cost more money & then if some came back negative, I'd need them anyway, so I just had them, saving time & money. My GC medical came to $399 (exam, HIV test, 2 Chest X-ray films & 3 shots - DT, MMR & Varicella).
Our bill was $75 for 4...we can only use the free clinic on Cape for GC medicals...and the cost was for hubbys jabs... 3 I think..
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:27 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by blaze
How much was it for?

Its not a great amount...$300....but they say there are more checks to come to us..room etc....it just seems odd you can't send the money back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.