Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Wikiposts

the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:43 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the health system or lack of it is driving me crazy!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We never told our GP that we were leaving the UK permanently, although did have some jabs just before leaving for Singapore but said it was on a temporary basis. Six months later in the Summer of 1995 when I was back in the UK on home leave I got pharyngitis and needed antibiotics so saw the local GP, using our address of our house in Essex (which was rented out - I spent a couple of nights with a friend in the village).

We've never needed to see a GP in England on our trips home, but never go back to the village anymore where we have our house as we no longer have any friends living there and our relatives live nowhere near the place. However, we've just tried to track down our medical records for Green Card applications and our GP's surgery said they had to send them to the Family Practitioner's Committee offices in another part of Essex. I spent ages trying to track them down as our surgery didn't have the contact details (plus the Health Authority changes the name on a regular basis - it's not called the FPA now!) and our records were returned to them at their request about five years ago.

I think either our tenants had returned mail from our GP (for check ups for smear tests etc.) as 'gone away' or the fact that we had never been to the surgery for a few years prompted a recall of our medical records.

Unfortunately our records are now in some kind of off-site long-term storage facility somewhere in Essex. I was informed that to get copies of our childhood immunisations, we have to write to our old GP's surgery and get one of the doctors to request our records. They will be retrieved and sent back to the FPA (or whatever it's now called) and then sent to the surgery.

The receptionist at the surgery had no idea what the charges would be to send us copies (not the originals) of our medical records, but it would take at least a month. We have no idea if our childhood jabs are still even on the medical records. I'm lucky - all I need is an MMR.

My husband has a terrible fear of jabs....he fainted when the INS authorised doctor at the clinic for our GC applications drew his blood....but the paperwork is at the desk of this doc and we don't fancy it staying there for so long in case it gets mislaid.... I think my husband will just have to have a set of jabs....anyone know what they will require if you don't have your medical records? We've already had the XRays as we've had the BCG jabs as teenagers. He took our word for it that we'd had chickenpox (I showed him my scars!).
I didn't have my records, so they made me have the injections, I had the DT (diphtheria & tetanus), the MMR & Varicella, I remember having chicken pox as a kid, but they made me have the vaccination anyway. If I were you, I'd just have the jabs, there's too much time, money & effort involved in getting your notes.

They offered to run tests to confirm that I was immune to these, but it would have cost more money & then if some came back negative, I'd need them anyway, so I just had them, saving time & money. My GC medical came to $399 (exam, HIV test, 2 Chest X-ray films & 3 shots - DT, MMR & Varicella).
Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:45 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I know they check now. My daughter, who has a thyroid condition (and for some reason gets free meds because of it) is usually always asked to see her card that entitles her to free meds.
In England?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:31 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
In England?
My mum has one of these too for her epilepsy medication in the UK.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:11 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Ben
My mum has one of these too for her epilepsy medication in the UK.
Sorry, I was referring to the fact that Lisa lives here, I was wondering whether she was talking about her daughter getting free meds here or in England, as she's not resident in England (maybe her daughter is, I don't recall), I was confused.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I was referring to the fact that Lisa lives here, I was wondering whether she was talking about her daughter getting free meds here or in England, as she's not resident in England (maybe her daughter is, I don't recall), I was confused.
They used to live in the UK.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They offered to run tests to confirm that I was immune to these, but it would have cost more money & then if some came back negative, I'd need them anyway, so I just had them, saving time & money. My GC medical came to $399 (exam, HIV test, 2 Chest X-ray films & 3 shots - DT, MMR & Varicella).
Blimey...that's not cheap...though if you know your immune, it can be cheaper and easier to have the titre test to show your covered...
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:16 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They used to live in the UK.
Yeah, it's just that she said 'I know they check now', then referred to her daughter.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:22 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Bob
Blimey...that's not cheap...though if you know your immune, it can be cheaper and easier to have the titre test to show your covered...
Well I knew I needed the tetanus booster. The exam, HIV test & chest x-rays are mandatory, I have no idea if I've ever had the MMR (probably not), so the only thing left that I know for sure I've had was Chicken Pox & the cost for that jab was $78, I'm not sure how much the test would been, but it's probably close in price anyway (my HIV test was $60).

Ah, the things we go through to be with the one we love!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

In England?
Doesn't Lisa have a daughter at university in the UK?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:04 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

oh, gotya
Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:07 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Celsius
I'm not sure, it's hard to keep up, it rings a bell though.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

In England?
Yes
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes
When my stepson was going to school in England he was covered on the back of my wife's US coverage.

She liked how she had no issues getting an appointment at the local surgery.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
I do have an older daughter that lives in the UK - she remained when we moved back here. She's not in university though - she has a boyfriend (now fiance), friends and her life is there - she chose not to come back here.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

So the latest update on this farce is that my wife can NOT be covered at all unless she quits her job.
This is because pregnancy is a pre existing condition which is not covered it seems. I have to say it had not even occurred to me before reading this forum that pregnancy would not be covered!
There is no way we can afford to have this baby uninsured.
So now she has to quit her excellent job that she has spent years and years and thousands of dollars training for, a job that she is really excellent at just so she can be insured by my people.
England is looking like a very favourable option right now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.