Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Old Dec 10th 2015, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990
SanDiegogirl - do you know which docs they will require to prove immigration eligibility? I've got them all so it shouldn't be an issue.
It can be a real pain to prove eligibility even for citizens. I registered with healthcare.gov this year to get ACA plans quoted. I was first asked if I was a US Citizen and when I replied "yes" the next question was "US Born or Naturalized" and I said Naturalized. Next it requires proof, and a US passport is not good enough, it required the "A" number of my Certificate of Naturalization, which I duly typed in several times but it rejected the format each time. It was the same for my wife, and I also talked to a friend whose wife is also a Naturalized USC and he had the same problem.

On the site I was able to go in and upload copies of the certificates which were then validated, presumably by an actual person.

I'm just passing on the story to warn you that getting registered may not be straight forward, but persistence should prevail.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I found getting registered took a while - I had to call them to get something confirmed, and the website was pretty hit and miss as it was enrollment season. Definitely something to get on with ASAP. I just signed up yesterday for my 2016 insurance.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 2:21 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I'll give them a call and figure that one out ASAP. Waiting on some advice from a friend regarding the specific plan currently - want to be 100% sure that its suitable.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 2:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... want to be 100% sure that its suitable.
I don't believe there is such a thing, just the best of the plans offered.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 2:31 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't believe there is such a thing, just the best of the plans offered.
Fair point. Well as sure as I can be then lol.
Old Dec 12th 2015, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any idea which doctor and urgent care center you might use? If so, check they are in-network. The ACA website now has a directory that you can use to look them up. That's the first thing I do when buying insurance through the ACA. Last year I got caught out - although my GP was covered, the local urgent care place was not, and one of the two major local hospitals (Mercy) was also out of network.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 2:10 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Just called Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia. They said I can't get insurance until I have a social security number - seemed pretty certain about that. Earliest I can get one will be the 8th January as I land in Philly on the 28th Dec (am I right in thinking I can definitely get one on the 8th January or is there a delay in receiving it?), which means my insurance won't start until the 1st Feb.

In that 'limbo' period, I assume it's fine to purchase the Patriot America (glorified travel insurance) insurance to cover me until the 1st Feb? As that will be my only realistic option besides going without insurance which I don't want to do.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 3:03 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
It can be a real pain to prove eligibility even for citizens. I registered with healthcare.gov this year to get ACA plans quoted. I was first asked if I was a US Citizen and when I replied "yes" the next question was "US Born or Naturalized" and I said Naturalized. Next it requires proof, and a US passport is not good enough, it required the "A" number of my Certificate of Naturalization, which I duly typed in several times but it rejected the format each time. It was the same for my wife, and I also talked to a friend whose wife is also a Naturalized USC and he had the same problem.

On the site I was able to go in and upload copies of the certificates which were then validated, presumably by an actual person.

I'm just passing on the story to warn you that getting registered may not be straight forward, but persistence should prevail.
When I applied on the MA ACA portal I was never able to get the site to accept my SS# I spent a month calling help lines and it never got resolved. So I just applied on a paper form and everything went through easily.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Just called Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia. They said I can't get insurance until I have a social security number - seemed pretty certain about that. Earliest I can get one will be the 8th January as I land in Philly on the 28th Dec (am I right in thinking I can definitely get one on the 8th January or is there a delay in receiving it?), which means my insurance won't start until the 1st Feb.

In that 'limbo' period, I assume it's fine to purchase the Patriot America (glorified travel insurance) insurance to cover me until the 1st Feb? As that will be my only realistic option besides going without insurance which I don't want to do.
People have been reporting that, so long as they were "put into the system" properly on arrival, their SSN was available 2-3 (business) days later. You will be fine with the interim insurance in the mean time. IIRC tax penalties only accrue if you are without ACA compliant insurance for more than three months of a calendar year.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 3:12 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Originally Posted by Pulaski
People have been reporting that, so long as they were "put into the system" properly on arrival, their SSN was available 2-3 (business) days later. You will be fine with the interim insurance in the mean time. IIRC tax penalties only accrue if you are without ACA compliant insurance for more than three months of a calendar year.
Ok thanks Pulaski. I assume that's still the case even if I didn't tick the 'SSN' box in the paperwork for the K-1 visa? (The advice I read at the time on here was to go with the 'wait ~10 days' option as they don't always notice the box and it can lead to confusion).
Old Dec 16th 2015, 3:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a good idea. If you get ill before you get married you can return to the UK and use the NHS.....as long as they don't get really nasty about residency status. I would apply for an ACA plan as soon as you can. I'm not sure if a K-1 visa qualifies, but after you have applied for adjustment of status you would definitely be ok.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

A little pointer for your info. The NHS is considered as being a "pre-existing health insurance", for want of a better phrase. The term the insurers use is "creditable coverage". Get a note/letter from your GP - they may charge.

More details here: Creditable coverage