Reload this Page >

British PGCE with American Masters - Texas Teaching

British PGCE with American Masters - Texas Teaching

Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

ryan8000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British PGCE with American Masters - Texas Teaching

Hello,

My situation is a strange one, but I hope it's more hopeful of making a smooth transition.

Recently, I returned to the UK from Louisiana with a Masters degree in Health and Human Performances. Prior to that I completed my bachelors in Sport and Exercise Science from the University of Birmingham.

I'm signed up to do a PGCE in September 2016, and although I'm aware of the years of experience first, I'm looking into the prospect of returning to the U.S specifically Texas (Houston, Dallas and Austin).

As far as I understand it, I'd need to use WES (or another evaluation company) for the BSc and PGCE degree, but what about the Masters?

Also the steps subsequent to this seems confusing! - The information online groups us all as 'foreign' but surely we don't need British proficiency tests?

Any help from anyone who's made the Teaching U.k > USA move would be great

Thanks,

Ryan
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British PGCE with American Masters - Texas Teaching

Why would you do a British PGCE and then return to Texas ? I suspect the papesrhufflers in Texas will ask the same question when you get back there.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

"British proficiency tests?"
What is this referring to?

"but what about the Masters?"
What about the Masters?

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 11th 2015 at 10:33 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Why would you do a British PGCE and then return to Texas ? I suspect the papesrhufflers in Texas will ask the same question when you get back there.
Well, I wouldn't be returning to Texas as I was in Louisiana originally. But If the point is extended to the U.S as a whole, It was something I considered at the time but the insecurity of funding a U.S teaching degree and being an Alien was a daunting prospect at the time so I chose the safer option to return to the U.K.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
"British proficiency tests?"
What is this referring to?

"but what about the Masters?"
What about the Masters?
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is listed on the checklist for out of country certification. But I'm sure that's not any issue...

And with the Master of Science I have from the U.S, would that make the process of applying any easier? - I heard that the PGCE is somewhat not acceptable alone anyway as it's not officially a master-level qualification.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryan8000
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is listed on the checklist for out of country certification. But I'm sure that's not any issue...

And with the Master of Science I have from the U.S, would that make the process of applying any easier? - I heard that the PGCE is somewhat not acceptable alone anyway as it's not officially a master-level qualification.
Its all state to state so whatever I tell you will be of limited use to you in Texas.
Washington State accepts PGCEs as a means to qualified teaching status. There was no language requirement for me, again in Washington State.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Its all state to state so whatever I tell you will be of limited use to you in Texas.
Washington State accepts PGCEs as a means to qualified teaching status. There was no language requirement for me, again in Washington State.
So by the word 'accepts' do you mean you didn't have to get it verified by an evaluation company for Washington?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:59 pm
He/him

So by the word 'accepts' do you mean you didn't have to get it verified by an evaluation company for Washington?
It did need to be evaluated.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Strange, the internet suggests otherwise :/

Transcript Evaluation Services
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

It did need to be evaluated.
O.k, Can you recall what other hoops you had to go through?

And, how did you then go on to find a school?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:15 pm
He/him

Qualifications evaluated
Written test in math, English and subject area.
A letter from PGCE institution saying I was up to par (I forget the wording)

I have not got a job teaching. I have not looked as hard as I could have done.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

And here lies the nub of the problem. Very few schools are willing to sponsor a teacher for a work visa.

Each state generally needs you to be certified / licensed for that state. Except maybe kansas because they've run out of money and will take whomever.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 8:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you work authorised in the US?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience of locals in North Texas (Dallas) and visiting schools, most areas are over-subscribed with teachers apart from the Sink areas. The school we visited with our son had councillors that were all qualified teachers (which I have presumed is a way into a teaching job there).
All the schools had this nice touch of hanging small banners outside all the classrooms of the teachers indicating where the teachers were from and studied at. My unscientific survey noted they were drawing teacher from the rest of the US probably because North Texas Schools are very well funded.
You're going to have to have something special to offer I would suggest to teach in the Dallas area or take a punt at a Sink School accepting you assuming you have a work permit in advance (which I suggest is critical!).
I have heard summer schools take "recruits" from the UK., maybe that's your best way in. Get experience there and see if you can move from that work to full time education?
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Are you work authorised in the US?
This. If you're not, everything else in this thread is moot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.