British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/health-insurance-868901/)

ScottUK1990 Dec 7th 2015 10:24 am

Health Insurance

Hi all,

I'm currently looking into health insurance (I've read the Wiki on here) and found one that looks alright from what I can tell. I'm struggling to compare all the different kinds available at the moment.

Patriot America Insurance

Has anyone used this or is anyone familiar with it? Or have any opinions as to whether it's any good?
My main concern with it is their definition of home country -
Non-U.S. Citizens: Home Country is the country of which the Insured Person is a citizen or national; including any country where the Insured Person maintains his/her primary residence or usual place of abode and any country of which the Insured Person is the possessor of a validly issued passport. In the event there is more than one home country under the above-listed criteria, the Home Country is the country meeting the above-listed criteria and listed by the Insured as his or her Home Country on the application.

Would I fit this criteria if I'm moving to the US permanently?

Note: I'll be living in Philadelphia (entering on a K-1 visa at the end of December) and I've no health conditions.

Cheers!

Scott

Guindalf Dec 7th 2015 11:04 am

Re: Health Insurance

Never had dealings with this company, but...

As a layman, I would say yes, you qualify, at least from the date of entry until you complete the conditions of the K1 (i.e. get married and file for AOS). Until that time, your country of permanent residence is still the UK as you could return at any time without hesitation. Things would obviously change when you become a PR (GC holder), although you could still return at the drop of a hat.

However, there is a toll-free number at the top of the web page. Why not call and be sure? It looks like you could remain anonymous if you want, just to get the information and be sure.

ScottUK1990 Dec 7th 2015 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11809359)
Never had dealings with this company, but...

As a layman, I would say yes, you qualify, at least from the date of entry until you complete the conditions of the K1 (i.e. get married and file for AOS). Until that time, your country of permanent residence is still the UK as you could return at any time without hesitation. Things would obviously change when you become a PR (GC holder), although you could still return at the drop of a hat.

However, there is a toll-free number at the top of the web page. Why not call and be sure? It looks like you could remain anonymous if you want, just to get the information and be sure.

Thanks Guindalf! - yeah I plan to call them as I have a few other questions too, just wanted to see if I could get answers/information from everyone on here first and in addition. Thanks for your help, that's pretty much what I figured re.the home country, just wasn't 100% sure.

SanDiegogirl Dec 7th 2015 5:06 pm

Presume you are intending to take out this insurance as a temporary stop gap until you are in a position to obtain permanent health insurance via your State's Health exchange, the Federal health exchange or your wife's health insurance policy?

The policy you are looking at is primarily an enhanced travel insurance policy.

Better than nothing but not for ongoing use by permanent residents.

ScottUK1990 Dec 7th 2015 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11809590)
Presume you are intending to take out this insurance as a temporary stop gap until you are in a position to obtain permanent health insurance via your State's Health exchange, the Federal health exchange or your wife's health insurance policy?

The policy you are looking at is primarily an enhanced travel insurance policy.

Better than nothing but not for ongoing use by permanent residents.

It is intended as a stop-gap, I'm just unsure of how long I can even have it for.

What's the difference between state and federal health exchange?

Thank you for your reply and the info.

Pulaski Dec 7th 2015 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 11809694)
.... What's the difference between state and federal health exchange? .....

Effectively "nothing", the Federal portal directs you to your state's exchange if there is one.

MidAtlantic Dec 8th 2015 11:43 am

This appears to be plain travel insurance. You are not a tourist in the USA if you are permanently resident. If you have a claim, the moment the insurance company discover that you are permanently resident they will likely deny your claim. It will also not be compliant with the ACA and therefore you will be deemed to not have insurance and be subject to the tax penalty.

WJS Dec 9th 2015 2:29 am

I have spoken to these people and they say expats use their insurance in the US for years.

Expatriate insurance: expatriate insurance for your healthcare needs abroad

http://en.april-international.com/gl...sade-insurance

Pulaski Dec 9th 2015 2:35 am

Originally Posted by WJS (Post 11810671)
I have spoken to these people and they say expats use their insurance in the US for years. .....

As far as I know it is not Affordable Care Act compliant, so you will get a surcharge/ tax penalty on your US tax return if you rely on it for more than .... three months in any one tax year? :unsure:

I believe MidAtlantic is incorrect and this insurance is suitable for new arrivals as stop-gap coverage until ACA-compliant coverage is purchased, but that is probably all it is good for.

And I would certainly take anything the insurance company says with a large pinch of salt. :lol:

Nutmegger Dec 9th 2015 2:53 am

Originally Posted by WJS (Post 11810671)

It states in their FAQ that their coverage is not ACA compliant and will result in tax consequences.

ScottUK1990 Dec 9th 2015 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11810673)
As far as I know it is not Affordable Care Act compliant, so you will get a surcharge/ tax penalty on your US tax return if you rely on it for more than .... three months in any one tax year? :unsure:

I believe MidAtlantic is incorrect and this insurance is suitable for new arrivals as stop-gap coverage until ACA-compliant coverage is purchased, but that is probably all it is good for.

And I would certainly take anything the insurance company says with a large pinch of salt. :lol:

Thanks Pulaski (and everyone else). That shouldn't be a problem then if I only use it for a short period - I arrive in the US on the 28th of December and get married on the 19th of March, so I could safely use it to cover that period in theory.

My fiancee will still be covered on her parents insurance for another year at least (her job currently doesn't have health benefits) so I won't be covered by hers at all. Therefore I'll definitely need to find an ACA compliant company thats suitable for permanent residents (at least for the period until I get a job and am hopefully covered by healthcare through that - and worst case scenario I won't get EAD until mid-June).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good company that covers Philly? I apologise if that question is a bit of a stretch and difficult to answer simply...

Pulaski Dec 9th 2015 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990 (Post 11810763)
.... Does anyone have any recommendations for a good company that covers Philly? I apologise if that question is a bit of a stretch and difficult to answer simply...

Check the ACA portal for Pennsylvania. You should be able to get ACA coverage once you have a SSN.

kins Dec 9th 2015 11:46 am

ehealth.com. Put in your age and zip code and it will spit out a bunch of plans with prices.

SanDiegogirl Dec 9th 2015 3:52 pm

If you are not going to be covered by your wife's insurance policy then I'd go for an ACA policy as soon as possible.

Apparently you don't have to have a SS number as long as you have all the docs to prove your immigration eligibility.

You do NOT want to be without decent health insurance in the US.

ScottUK1990 Dec 10th 2015 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11811071)
If you are not going to be covered by your wife's insurance policy then I'd go for an ACA policy as soon as possible.

Apparently you don't have to have a SS number as long as you have all the docs to prove your immigration eligibility.

You do NOT want to be without decent health insurance in the US.

SanDiegogirl - do you know which docs they will require to prove immigration eligibility? I've got them all so it shouldn't be an issue.

I've looked into ACA compliant insurance and found Independence Blue Cross. They've a 'Personal Choice PPO Bronze Reserve' plan at $205.42/month. It's a $6,400 deductible and no co-pay (if I understand it correctly). Also has the option to open Health Savings Account (HSA).

https://www.ibx4you.com/pdfs/health_...ze_reserve.pdf

I think that sounds suitable...?
I'll be buying it this weekend or the next (assuming they are ok without a SSN for the time being).