Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow

Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:13 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gwyneth Paltrow

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Not a bad deal really - I'd have given them the half a can of coke
Only if they give you the other half back to use elsewhere.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:18 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Ah! it all becomes clear, you haven't been here long enough to be homesick yet. I didn't until I'd been here almost a year either - trust me its on the way.
What on earth does any of this have to do with whether or not I'm homesick?

FYI, while I've been here my father has been in hospital for several weeks, going on heart bypass and having a kidney removed because it and his vena cava were riddled with cancer which had travelled practically up to his heart. He's currently undergoing treatment for the cancer which spread into his bones and we will find out next Tuesday whether or not it's working. I'd say I'm pretty damn homesick.

Sorry, I know you didn't mean your comment in an unpleasant way but it struck a chord. I thought I'd made it pretty clear that I'm not denying anyone's right to have a moan about life in the US on this board. As I said previously, I have done so myself and will undoubtedly continue to do so. I am just upholding Gwyneth Paltrow's right to comment on negative aspects of life in the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that just about all of Gwyneth's complaints are nearly word-for-word what an English friend of mine says is wrong with London. He lived here for a bit (illegally) and got tossed out. He misses the US dreadfully, in particular the weather, the customer service, and the fact that there are no 24-hour diners. Seriously.

What some people value, others don't.

Mind I'm not fond of the Paltrow-Martin marriage but if you read the article, it's quoting from an interview given to an *American magazine* from an American expat's perspective.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:28 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

What on earth does any of this have to do with whether or not I'm homesick?

FYI, while I've been here my father has been in hospital for several weeks, going on heart bypass and having a kidney removed because it and his vena cava were riddled with cancer which had travelled practically up to his heart. He's currently undergoing treatment for the cancer which spread into his bones and we will find out next Tuesday whether or not it's working. I'd say I'm pretty damn homesick.

Sorry, I know you didn't mean your comment in an unpleasant way but it struck a chord. I thought I'd made it pretty clear that I'm not denying anyone's right to have a moan about life in the US on this board. As I said previously, I have done so myself and will undoubtedly continue to do so. I am just upholding Gwyneth Paltrow's right to comment on negative aspects of life in the UK.
Oh dear, I didn't mean to upset you. I hope your father makes a full recovery. The reason I said that was because I myself was very blase about the homesickness of Britons untill a couple of months ago and more often than not would 'side' with Americans because of that. I was concentrating on getting my green card and that kept me from feeling that way for a long time.
However when I finally recieved it it was SUCH an anti-climax and homesickness suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. Up until then I had never experienced that feeling and never thought I would, I just thought you were perhaps in the same frame of mind that I was when I first got here.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:33 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Oh dear, I didn't mean to upset you. I hope your father makes a full recovery. The reason I said that was because I myself was very blase about the homesickness of Britons untill a couple of months ago and more often than not would 'side' with Americans because of that. I was concentrating on getting my green card and that kept me from feeling that way for a long time.
However when I finally recieved it it was SUCH an anti-climax and homesickness suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. Up until then I had never experienced that feeling and never thought I would, I just thought you were perhaps in the same frame of mind that I was when I first got here.
Not at all - I just believe that anyone and everyone has the right to have a rant and moan without being told to piss off home
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I have to say that just about all of Gwyneth's complaints are nearly word-for-word what an English friend of mine says is wrong with London. He lived here for a bit (illegally) and got tossed out. He misses the US dreadfully, in particular the weather, the customer service, and the fact that there are no 24-hour diners. Seriously.

Mind I'm not fond of the Paltrow-Martin marriage but if you read the article, it's quoting from an interview given to an *American magazine* from an American expat's perspective.
I actually missed the US when I was visiting the UK more than I miss the UK while living here.

Absolutely.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:36 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Not at all - I just believe that anyone and everyone has the right to have a rant and moan without being told to piss off home
Well to be quite honest with you I wasn't being completely serious when I said that, I thought it would spark some interesting debate though and looks like it did
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:47 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
...He misses the US dreadfully, in particular ... the customer service ...
I'm always totally confused about this one, I have to admit. I haven't noticed that the customer service is any better over here than it is in the UK. Is it specifically restaurant service or general (e.g. helplines, returning goods etc)?

My understanding is that we have way more statutory rights in the UK, in terms of exchanges and refunds, than in the US. Over here, it seems that if they stamp the receipt "final sale" then you can't return it.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:00 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
lets play a game...first one to mention a GOOD movie she's been in wins a $100........

p.s wintersong shallow hal does not count because Jack black carried the movie
Is that $100 per movie? How about ;

Seven
The Pallbearer
Shakespeare in Love ( excellent)
The talented Mr Ripley
Sylvia - depressing but not bad and co-starred the new James Bond

Do you want my Pal Pal account
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

lets play a game...first one to mention a GOOD movie she's been in wins a $100........

p.s wintersong shallow hal does not count because Jack black carried the movie

Did she not win an Oscar?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
She's a spoilt cow. Entitled to her opinion about Britain, just like we're entitled to our opinions of her.

...and she speaks very kindly of you!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:08 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Is that $100 per movie? How about ;

Seven
The Pallbearer
Shakespeare in Love ( excellent)
The talented Mr Ripley
Sylvia - depressing but not bad and co-starred the new James Bond

Do you want my Pal Pal account
oh purleese..Seven was a bit part, Shakespeare in love..okay and the Talented Mr Ripley is pure shite..never heard of the others, my point who cares what she says...she's a mediocre actress, though I did like the one with Micheal Douglas in it...but then his acting is so good he brings out the best in his co-stars
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
...and she speaks very kindly of you!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:11 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
Did she not win an Oscar?
that only proves they never asked for my opinion
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:16 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

oh purleese..Seven was a bit part, Shakespeare in love..okay and the Talented Mr Ripley is pure shite..never heard of the others, my point who cares what she says...she's a mediocre actress, though I did like the one with Micheal Douglas in it...but then his acting is so good he brings out the best in his co-stars
The one with Micheal Douglas was called ' The perfect Murder' which was a remake of Hitchcock's ' Dial M for murder' which starred the far more talented & beautiful Princess Grace Kelly and Ray Milland;
Shakespeare in Love was excellent though......... where's my $100

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.