Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow

Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gwyneth Paltrow

Originally Posted by Partystar
An arsehole In Law family member of mine made a comment when they saw parts of England on the Kate Winslet American Express advert, he said, eeewww England looks really dirty. I thought, you try living somewhere that's over a 1000 years old & see how it looks then. There are places in Phoenix that are 30 years old & are all boarded up, because no one wants to bother with the upkeep of it. I wish he could be around to see what it looks like here in a 1000 years! This guy is an arsehole that's never really been anywhere, although he'd remind me that he's been just over the border to Mexico!!! I guess that makes him a friggin' world traveller!

Sorry about that, had to vent, the guy really $#%&'s me off!
In a 1000 years time Phoenix would look brand new because it will be, they will be on there thirtieth new set of houses.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:42 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
Oh dear,

looks like Gwynnie doesn't like our little island very much. Homesickness is one thing, completely slating your adopted country in every way is quite another!
Piss off back to America Gwyneth!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...a_source=&ct=5
Pot... kettle....you're black.

She has mentioned three whole things that she doesn't like about the UK (and she's absolutely right about all three of them, incidentally) and all of a sudden she's "slating her adopted country in every way"?

It's at moments like these that I have every sympathy for those Americans on this forum who have a go about the constant complaining and then get slagged from here to kingdom come. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, quite frankly.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:44 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
In a 1000 years time Phoenix would look brand new because it will be, they will be on there thirtieth new set of houses.
True!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:45 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Pot... kettle....you're black.

She has mentioned three whole things that she doesn't like about the UK (and she's absolutely right about all three of them, incidentally) and all of a sudden she's "slating her adopted country in every way"?

It's at moments like these that I have every sympathy for those Americans on this forum who have a go about the constant complaining and then get slagged from here to kingdom come. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, quite frankly.
I concur!!!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:00 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you have to keep her...it's part of a "no return policy" ...the same goes for Madonna
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:01 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Wrong, I don't publish my comments in a popular magazine where they can be read by numerous Americans do I? The only time I ever rant about America is on this board with other ex pats most of whom have felt the same way at some point. I would never do so around anybody who is a native of this country. You seem to be forgetting the fact that Gwynnie is a celebrity therefore many people will take what she says as the gospel and perhaps think less of Britian as a result of that.

You're comparing apples to oranges dear - nobody cares what I think, many people on the other hand may care what SHE thinks which is precisely why she should have kept these thoughts to herself or shared them with a sympathetic friend instead of having them splashed all over that magazine.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:08 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, but a few weeks back, the Canadian Globe and Mail published an interview with her that didn't make her out to be much of a flagwaver. A couple of bits:

>>>"Yes, well, I went to Spain in an exchange program at 15, and I've always been drawn to Europe. America is such a young country, with an adolescent swagger about it. But I feel that I have a more European sensibility, a greater respect for the multicultural nature of the globe. And it's a strange time to be an American now."

>>>"I feel like we're [the US is] really in trouble. I just had a baby and thought, 'I don't want to live there.' Bush's anti-environment, pro-war policies are a dis. . . ."

Funny thing was, the interviewer notably found her political rants to be tedious, he was trying to get a showbiz interview and was instead treated to a parade of earnestness.

Well, you can guess the rest. Her speech is deeply felt and not unintelligent, yet entirely predictable and ill-suited to these pages, where analysis of American domestic affairs is confined to the highly partisan manoeuvrings of Brad and Jennifer. Sorry. Gwyneth's wall may be down, but the game, and my time, are up.

But then again, she is hot, isn't she?

(Link to poorly done cut-and-paste of the original from a right-wing website -- the archived original is pay-per-view: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1485090/posts)
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:15 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Nia_Nia]

You're comparing apples to oranges dear -QUOTE]

No pun intended I presume?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:16 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong, I don't publish my comments in a popular magazine where they can be read by numerous Americans do I? The only time I ever rant about America is on this board with other ex pats most of whom have felt the same way at some point. I would never do so around anybody who is a native of this country. You seem to be forgetting the fact that Gwynnie is a celebrity therefore many people will take what she says as the gospel and perhaps think less of Britian as a result of that.

You're comparing apples to oranges dear - nobody cares what I think, many people on the other hand may care what SHE thinks which is precisely why she should have kept these thoughts to herself or shared them with a sympathetic friend instead of having them splashed all over that magazine.
If your gripe was that she shouldn't have spoken the truth to a reporter, you should have said that rather than
looks like Gwynnie doesn't like our little island very much. Homesickness is one thing, completely slating your adopted country in every way is quite another!
The people who will take what she says as gospel are the small minded ones who have probably never left their backwater village and would never have contemplated visiting the UK anyway. Hardly a major loss to the UK tourism industry.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that there are "natives of this country" who post on this board on a regular basis, so your statement that you would never rant about America around them is blatantly untrue. You may not do it face to face, but then neither did Gwyneth. Plus, I don't really think you can classify her comments as a "rant".
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong, I don't publish my comments in a popular magazine where they can be read by numerous Americans do I?
Are they hounding you for interview?

The only time I ever rant about America is on this board with other ex pats most of whom have felt the same way at some point. I would never do so around anybody who is a native of this country. You seem to be forgetting the fact that Gwynnie is a celebrity therefore many people will take what she says as the gospel and perhaps think less of Britian as a result of that.

Again, who cares what she thinks? She's just one little person. You are giving her way too much import by even quoting the article. If she were talking about politics or social issues, I might be interested. Anybody who's main concerns in life are (1)the weather and (2)the service they get in shops (3) what fruit to name their baby after..... I really don't pay a lot of attention too. The people that base their opinions and/or travel plans on the complaints of vapid celebrities are really beyond help anyway.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:20 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Hmmm..I'm seeing the word "vapid" a lot this week.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Better seeing than being.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:23 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Pigtails
It's the new word of the week. Next week's will be paraphernalia.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:25 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares what Gwyneth cunting Paltrow says or thinks? These spoilt bastards are on a completely different planet to normal everyday human beings, next she will be doing the mandatory ' Work on my latest movie was sooo difficult because ................. blah blah - boo ****ing hoo at $10M per movie or whatever............
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:30 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

You seem to be forgetting the fact that there are "natives of this country" who post on this board on a regular basis, so your statement that you would never rant about America around them is blatantly untrue. You may not do it face to face, but then neither did Gwyneth. Plus, I don't really think you can classify her comments as a "rant".
Correct me if I'm wrong but is this site not called 'Britishexpats.com?' The title of this forum would suggest (to me at least) that its purpose is to allow 'British expats' to talk about the differences between British life and life in other countries.
I realise that some Americans do indeed post here but in so doing they must realise that they are going to come across Oooh I don't know, perhaps a few temporarily disgruntled British Expats?

As for 'not doing it face to face' well lets face it Gwyneth IS delivering a slap to the face to every Brit because she made her comments to a magazine - knowing full well that the comments would then be reported in the newspapers - I am posting my comments regarding things that irritate me about America in the Britishexpats.com forum, which I hardly think is must read material for most Americans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.