Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gun Law in Texas for PR

Gun Law in Texas for PR

Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun Law in Texas for PR

Originally Posted by Ray
And keep your powder horn dry ...
Water fears Jack Bauer's powder horn.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:13 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
It's a federal law - Non-immigrant visa and a valid state hunting permit = Boomstick!
Can you elaborate on that one a little bit, please?

I have just done a little googling (which is by no means replacement for an informed lawyer, or even your own experience!) and I found this: "In 1998...Congress amended § 922(g)(5) to prohibit — with exceptions not applicable here — persons lawfully present in the United States on non-immigrant visas from possessing firearms or ammunition."

Is the state hunting permit one of those exceptions, then? Ohhh, I've just read more, and it says that it is, OK. I've got to say that I'd be a bit hesitant to use that exemption in the current climate type, but I'm the worrying cautious type...

Hey, if non-immigrants aren't allowed to possess firearms (apart from the exception above), how do the firing ranges in FL and HI that cater to tourists work? Is hiring a gun at a range not considered "possession"?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Hey, if non-immigrants aren't allowed to possess firearms (apart from the exception above), how do the firing ranges in FL and HI that cater to tourists work? Is hiring a gun at a range not considered "possession"?
FLORIDA
Purchasing a purchasing a firearm and are not a LPR
requirements have now been changed:

Requirements are:

proof of residency for the last 90 days ( utility bills accepted)
Florida Driving Licence or I.D ( having the words TEMPORARY on the license doesn't matter)
A current and valid hunting license (apparently you only need this at time of purchase!)
Copy of current and valid Visa or Immigration Status (the I-94 )