Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Entry to UK with USC spouse

Entry to UK with USC spouse

Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:08 am
The truth is out there ..

valis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nice
Default Entry to UK with USC spouse

I will shortly be returning to the UK with my US spouse for a few days.

Do we have to use the separate entry lines at immigration?

Any chance UK immigration will think we're there to stay (we're not). I just want to be prepared with the right documentation.

I have searched for this ... maybe I didn't use the right terms.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:02 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default Re: Entry to UK with USC spouse

I've walked through the UK "immigration" lines with my (not married) USC at both Heathrow and Bristol with no problems. However, we use the separate lines when re-entering the US, and I usually beat her through now
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

My wife is also a US citizen and has a UK visa (with indefinate leave to remain). We always try and go through the UK line together... but make sure you both have SEPERATE customs cards and that you wife has filled in a UK immigration landing card... A couple of times now the airlines have insisted that my wife does not need them but when we get to the passport control, they tell her to "go get the form, fill it in and rejoin the queue"!

It does work both ways too I always go through the US Citizen line with my other half (even though I don't even have a visa yet!)... Works every time...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

We've never had seperate customs cards in either direction and never had any issues.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

We've never had seperate customs cards in either direction and never had any issues.
Maybe we just look funny...
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

There are no "customs" cards on entry to the UK.

There is a landing card to be completed for travellers who do not hold a UK or European passport.

If you are travelling together, you can normally use the same line for immigration control, where you have the landing card inspected.

We have only once been separated by a "jobs worth" at Stansted Airport who insisted that a UK passport holder could not use the same line as a US passport holder.

Martin
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

My USC wife came through the EU line with me no problems - we were about to get in to the separate lines and an immigration guy saw us, asked us if we were together, and said she could go through the same line as me.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard about couples/families going through the EU line together. On my last trip back I (UKC) went through the non EU line with my hubby and 2 girls (USC) when I got up there I asked about use all going through the EU line in future trips and she basically said no way... that was at heathrow.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Every trip we have ever made to the UK (Heathrow), since mid 80's, my USC wife & USC son, walk through the now Euro entry. I go first, doff my cap, "They are with me, ok if we stay together" OK "Thank you" , doff me cap. Never had a problem, never once.
Funny, just wife and me last year, annoying little bast---, asked me the british fellow, "why are you visiting and for how long." Cheeky bast---. English was not his 1st language.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by frrussre View Post
Every trip we have ever made to the UK (Heathrow), since mid 80's, my USC wife & USC son, walk through the now Euro entry. I go first, doff my cap, "They are with me, ok if we stay together" OK "Thank you" , doff me cap. Never had a problem, never once.
Funny, just wife and me last year, annoying little bast---, asked me the british fellow, "why are you visiting and for how long." Cheeky bast---. English was not his 1st language.
Reg. Frank R.

Yes, well they checking everyone and every passport now!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:54 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US View Post
I have heard about couples/families going through the EU line together. On my last trip back I (UKC) went through the non EU line with my hubby and 2 girls (USC) when I got up there I asked about use all going through the EU line in future trips and she basically said no way... that was at heathrow.
On our last trip back, we took my Mother-In-Law, and they had no problem with her coming through the EU line with my wife, son and I. And i'm the only one with a UK passport. That was at Terminal 4 at Heathrow.
Maybe it depends on who you ask.