British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Gun Law in Texas for PR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/gun-law-texas-pr-529885/)

Jmaster911 Apr 17th 2008 2:10 am

Gun Law in Texas for PR

Does anybody know when I could apply for a Gun License in Texas as a PR and what the rules surrounding that are. I heard that I have to be in the US (with no break) for a minimum of 90 days and resident at the same address during that period, does this sound right?

NC Penguin Apr 17th 2008 2:15 am

Re: Gun Law in Texas for PR

Originally Posted by Jmaster911 (Post 6220707)
Does anybody know when I could apply for a Gun License in Texas as a PR and what the rules surrounding that are. I heard that I have to be in the US (with no break) for a minimum of 90 days and resident at the same address during that period, does this sound right?

If I were you, I'd check your city's website or the county sheriff. Failing that, you could call a gun store and ask the owner the question.

anotherlimey Apr 17th 2008 2:19 am

You need a license for a gun in Texas??? :rofl:

paul1968mcr Apr 17th 2008 2:41 am

Yeah you will have to prove you have been resident in the state for 90 days - you'll need 3 months worth of concurrent bills / bank statements.

You'll also need everything else you got - passport GC etc.

You'll be vetted by the FBI could take a couple of days to get a proceed back, then your good to go.

If it's a handgun check out the Concealed weapon regulations for TX, you'll probably need a concealed carry permit, or a hunting and target permit if you wanna be out of the house and offa your property with it.

All in all quite easy, I got one, and I aint got a GC!!

anotherlimey Apr 17th 2008 2:47 am

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr (Post 6220776)
Yeah you will have to prove you have been resident in the state for 90 days - you'll need 3 months worth of concurrent bills / bank statements.

You'll also need everything else you got - passport GC etc.

You'll be vetted by the FBI could take a couple of days to get a proceed back, then your good to go.

If it's a handgun check out the Concealed weapon regulations for TX, you'll probably need a concealed carry permit, or a hunting and target permit if you wanna be out of the house and offa your property with it.

All in all quite easy, I got one, and I aint got a GC!!

You're not a permanent resident?

Ray Apr 17th 2008 2:49 am

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

paul1968mcr Apr 17th 2008 3:04 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 6220780)
You're not a permanent resident?

Nope, not yet - will be in the next 6 to 36 months hopefully

anotherlimey Apr 17th 2008 3:07 am

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr (Post 6220802)
Nope, not yet - will be in the next 6 to 36 months hopefully

I only know FL's laws, not TX's I'm afraid.

paul1968mcr Apr 17th 2008 3:10 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 6220810)
I only know FL's laws, not TX's I'm afraid.

It's a federal law - Non-immigrant visa and a valid state hunting permit = Boomstick!

In my case a .44mag Henry lever action - ready for November '08.

anotherlimey Apr 17th 2008 3:16 am

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr (Post 6220815)
It's a federal law - Non-immigrant visa and a valid state hunting permit = Boomstick!

In my case a .44mag Henry lever action - ready for November '08.

I didn't want to suggest something without looking it up.

Check out the link Ray posted, or the NRA's legal website.

Jmaster911 Apr 17th 2008 3:18 am

Thanks guys, great help

Folinskyinla Apr 18th 2008 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jmaster911 (Post 6220707)

Hi:

I'd be VERY careful on this one. There is a web of applicable laws, local, state, Federal. And violation of any of them can be a ground of removal under the immigration laws.

As you know there is currently pending before the Supremes a matter to interpret the scope of the Second Amendment's "well regulated" clause.

Also, an interesting issue -- does an alien have the right to "bear arms?" I don't know -- I can argue it both ways in my head.

Another thing -- what are "arms?" If you read the accounts about Grant and Lee meeting at Appomatax [especially in Grant's Memoirs'], there is talk of "sidearms" -- and it meant the swords, not the pistols/revolvers.

Ray Apr 18th 2008 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6228345)
HiAnother thing -- what are "arms?" If you read the accounts about Grant and Lee meeting at Appomatax [especially in Grant's Memoirs'], there is talk of "sidearms" -- and it meant the swords, not the pistols/revolvers.

With a Florida permit ..we can carry a sword ..but it must be concealed
although it does make you walk a bit funny ... and its difficult to sit down ...

Bill_S Apr 18th 2008 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6228345)
Hi:

I'd be VERY careful on this one. There is a web of applicable laws, local, state, Federal. And violation of any of them can be a ground of removal under the immigration laws.

As you know there is currently pending before the Supremes a matter to interpret the scope of the Second Amendment's "well regulated" clause.

Also, an interesting issue -- does an alien have the right to "bear arms?" I don't know -- I can argue it both ways in my head.

Another thing -- what are "arms?" If you read the accounts about Grant and Lee meeting at Appomatax [especially in Grant's Memoirs'], there is talk of "sidearms" -- and it meant the swords, not the pistols/revolvers.

From looking at 18 USC 922, there appears to be no federal prohibition against GC holders owning firearms. Paul is talking about 922(y) which provides specific exceptions for non-immigrant visa holders.

But as you say, state + local laws are another matter as well. Interestingly, I recall that in Texas, if a gun is over x number of years old, or was made before y date (e.g. 1900), it's considered an antique and not a firearm. There are plenty of perfectly funtional blackpowder arms to be found from that era. I'll have to double-check the details on that.

Edit - I'm not a lawyer!

Ray Apr 18th 2008 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 6228436)
From looking at 18 USC 922, there appears to be no federal prohibition against GC holders owning firearms. Paul is talking about 922(y) which provides specific exceptions for non-immigrant visa holders.

But as you say, state + local laws are another matter as well. Interestingly, I recall that in Texas, if a gun is over x number of years old, or was made before y date (e.g. 1900), it's considered an antique and not a firearm. There are plenty of perfectly funtional blackpowder arms to be found from that era. I'll have to double-check the details on that.

Edit - I'm not a lawyer!

And keep your powder horn dry ...