Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

going from cold climate to hot climate

going from cold climate to hot climate

Old May 11th 2006, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

drew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to all
Default going from cold climate to hot climate

hi there, this is my first time posting in this part of the forum! just was wonderin what you did to climatized yourselves to the warmer climate here in the US? my hubby came from the midlands area, and now we live in one of the warmest parts of CA (sacto area) temps in the mid to upper 80's now, and its only gonna get worse as summer progresses! poor thing. he's been drinking lots of water, and not going out during the height of the sunshine, but still. any advice?
Old May 11th 2006, 4:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going from cold climate to hot climate

Originally Posted by drew&venna
hi there, this is my first time posting in this part of the forum! just was wonderin what you did to climatized yourselves to the warmer climate here in the US? my hubby came from the midlands area, and now we live in one of the warmest parts of CA (sacto area) temps in the mid to upper 80's now, and its only gonna get worse as summer progresses! poor thing. he's been drinking lots of water, and not going out during the height of the sunshine, but still. any advice?

Factor 45 if he's fair skinned
And thank your lucky stars you're not in Mississippi...

Oh - nearly forgot: keep talking abuot the Delta breeze!
Old May 11th 2006, 4:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You just suffer the first year and get use to it...

My first year here I was eaten alive, still do, but no where near as bad as when I first got here...and humid summers aren't as bad, and I don't really worry about sub -25F winters either....just a matter of holding off on summer clothes for as long as possible and then holding off on the winter clothes for as long as possible in winter for the first year at least
Old May 11th 2006, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Will never get used to the heat here Pretty sure most of us Brit's suffer.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

find a pool
use it lots
drink water not soda
Old May 11th 2006, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Thank God for air conditioning. Can you imagine what it was like for the early settlers?
Old May 11th 2006, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

After putting up with dreary old British weather it can't get hot enough for me.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
But you are in Virginia!

California heat is dry heat. And Sacramento has the benefit of that wonderful Delta breeze. It really does make a difference. I've never found the heat here a problem - not even when it gets to 103!

Now as for Sacramento itself...
Old May 11th 2006, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Thank God for air conditioning. Can you imagine what it was like for the early settlers?
Dread to think, I've been to James Town could not believe how much they suffered, well may be I can being as it's just down the road from me.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
After putting up with dreary old British weather it can't get hot enough for me.
Thats what we used to think...until you sweat your arse off every other day cutting the lawn and spend May through October going from AC to AC just to keep vaguely cool.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:14 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
... you sweat your arse off every other day cutting the lawn a...
Pebbles and rocks, dear Plus a couple of cacti if you see a need for greenery...
Old May 11th 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Pebbles and rocks, dear Plus a couple of cacti if you see a need for greenery...
Charlie Dimmock my arse
Old May 11th 2006, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thats what we used to think...until you sweat your arse off every other day cutting the lawn and spend May through October going from AC to AC just to keep vaguely cool.
Many people don't realize that the midwest and eastern seaboard have horridly humid summers too. Not only us down here that suffer through it. I don't find the humidity bad until June or so, but then again, I've acclimatized some.

It is hard the first two years or so, until your body adjusts to it. You'll not find many people walking around between 10 am and 4 pm in a FL summer. We're all indoors.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Same here I really dont mind British Winters, love wearing jumper's and coats, winter fashion all together is much nicer anyway, even my complexion looks it's best in much cooler weather.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Same here but still love the hot weather, there again we have cold winters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.