Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

going from cold climate to hot climate

going from cold climate to hot climate

Old May 11th 2006, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: going from cold climate to hot climate

News last night said it hit a high of 94 I think here in Woodland Hills yesterday.

I really like the hot weather. I don't mind at all arriving home or at work a little sweaty. This lunchtime I went home and had a swim in the pool in my apartment block... Whilst I could kind of do similar in Brighton and get down to the beach there, you've what, say a sporadic 3 or 4 weeks in summer where that's going to be pleasant?

I think lots of exercise helps too, if your body is used to sweating buckets then a walk down the road when it's 100F out is going to be more of a light pespire than a waterfall.
Old May 11th 2006, 10:14 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think i will ever get climatized. I moved from Lancashire to Texas! I go from air conditioned home, to air conditioned car to air conditioned office. So rarely get chance to climatize. I just bought a horse, and find I ride even less here than I did in England. If it rained in England I would ride in waterproofs, unless I go early morning and at dusk its too damn hot. I react really badly to mosquito bites too, so dawn and dusk riding is difficult. They always find the one spot I didn't manage to spray deet on. Its humid here which makes it unpleasant. I took a road trip from Texas to Canada last summer to do some sight-seeing, it was hotter in Arizona and Nevada but easier to take as it was not as humid. I'm only in Texas until my wife graduates (Vet school) next year, maybe a cooler state next year . . .

Originally Posted by drew&venna
hi there, this is my first time posting in this part of the forum! just was wonderin what you did to climatized yourselves to the warmer climate here in the US? my hubby came from the midlands area, and now we live in one of the warmest parts of CA (sacto area) temps in the mid to upper 80's now, and its only gonna get worse as summer progresses! poor thing. he's been drinking lots of water, and not going out during the height of the sunshine, but still. any advice?
Old May 11th 2006, 10:36 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
AC is a must have here. When my wife(USC) came to live in the uk with me she was mortified that we didn't have AC. I told her we don't really need it, there are maybe a handfull of days in summer where it get uncomfortably hot but most of the time you can just open your window.
Absolute bollocks. Those long nights with no AC and an open window with no breeze letting in all the wasps absolutely suck. And no one even seems to have even an electric fan....

The English should at least have a fan on hand and screen their windows cos there are going to be some nights in summer where it'll be horrible otherwise.
Old May 11th 2006, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Absolute bollocks. Those long nights with no AC and an open window with no breeze letting in all the wasps absolutely suck. And no one even seems to have even an electric fan....

The English should at least have a fan on hand and screen their windows cos there are going to be some nights in summer where it'll be horrible otherwise.
I had a fan like most I know, but we can and do sleep with our windows open and dont wake up with a room full of wasps or flys Here I wake up with bad heads, why!! because it's either Air on or Heating True what they say freash air is good for you.
Old May 11th 2006, 11:00 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I think we English are able to determine whether or not we need fans and window screens without your help, thank you very much!
Old May 11th 2006, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think we English are able to determine whether or not we need fans and window screens without your help, thank you very much!

Another bad day love?
Old May 11th 2006, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch!
Old May 11th 2006, 11:14 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

The English have never been able to do much for themselves to be honest - usually need to ask the Scots, Welsh or irish for help.
Old May 11th 2006, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The English have never been able to do much for themselves to be honest - usually need to ask the Scots, Welsh or irish for help.
Er now come on let's not go down that road
Old May 11th 2006, 11:18 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

uh huh
Old May 11th 2006, 11:19 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Er now come on let's not go down that road
Ok, maybe not the welsh then
Old May 11th 2006, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, maybe not the welsh then
You must like getting a slap or two
Old May 11th 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a fan like most I know, but we can and do sleep with our windows open and dont wake up with a room full of wasps or flys Here I wake up with bad heads, why!! because it's either Air on or Heating True what they say freash air is good for you.

hiya vic, yep i suffer with bad headaches and the humidity makes it worse plus we either have the a/c on or heating and we have this ceiling fan and i hate it all...don't open windows here i wouldn't feel safe even if we could...first thing i do when i go to blighty is open the windows hmmm love sleeping with the windows open which is what you'll be doing in a couple of weeks
Old May 11th 2006, 11:31 pm
Thinking about it

You must like getting a slap or two
Is that a rhetorical question ??
Old May 12th 2006, 12:00 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I love the heat here in Texas now... but the first year I actually found it scary. We arrived in May, and I found that I had a physical and mental reaction of panic when I first tried to go outside in >100deg heat.

The whole family would scurry from place to place, and we would be at the point of collapse if we walked across the road to the playground in 110deg sun.

Now, my daughters play soccer, and my wife plays tennis in these temperatures, and we think nothing of it. I was the slowest to acclimatise, since I spend all day working in an office with freezing-cold AC.

Now I'm off to jump in the pool, which has already reached a nearly-unpleasant 90+deg, and it's only May!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.