Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

going from cold climate to hot climate

going from cold climate to hot climate

Old May 11th 2006, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going from cold climate to hot climate

Originally Posted by britvic
Same here I really dont mind British Winters, love wearing jumper's and coats, winter fashion all together is much nicer anyway, even my complexion looks it's best in much cooler weather.
Hiya Brit, you sound like my daughter. Although I think she may be changing her mind after spending 3 winters in Canada.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hiya Brit, you sound like my daughter. Although I think she may be changing her mind after spending 3 winters in Canada.
Hello mate, Well thats understandable, Canada Winters :scared:
Old May 11th 2006, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

drew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
But you are in Virginia!

California heat is dry heat. And Sacramento has the benefit of that wonderful Delta breeze. It really does make a difference. I've never found the heat here a problem - not even when it gets to 103!

Now as for Sacramento itself...
yes! i heard on the news last night that the delta breeze would be coming back in the next few days, lets hope so.
sacto definitly sucks luckily after i'm done with summer school we'll be moving to the bay area where temps are more like 'home' for him! but we've got to make it thru the summer first thank god for AC
Old May 11th 2006, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Thank God for air conditioning. Can you imagine what it was like for the early settlers?
We often say the same. From sub zero winters to 100F+ temps and 99% humidity, with no a/c or central heating.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the roughJimbo the Bimbo is a jewel in the rough

It gets hot here in Texas. I'm talking HOT! 100 degrees plus and humid. Air conditioning is the greatest invention ever. Taking a dip in the pool is like taking a hot bath.

My father in law lives in LA and he loves the hot weather. When he came to visit in the height of summer, he pretty much trampled everyone underfoot as he fought his way back inside to escape the heat.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

We often say the same. From sub zero winters to 100F+ temps and 99% humidity, with no a/c or central heating.
Plus malaria, wild animals and starvation. They were a hardy bunch.

Last edited by Rompers; May 11th 2006 at 5:46 pm.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Plus malaria, wild animals and starvation. They were a hardy bunch.
Not forgetting the locals.
Old May 11th 2006, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Not forgetting the locals.
At least they didn't have to worry about haircuts

*I'll get me coat*
Old May 11th 2006, 6:03 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Drink water not sugary sodas
Stay in a/c as much as you can
Use lots of sunblock.
Carry a bottle of water EVERYWHERE!
Think Cool and if all else fails and you cant bear another Summer in the heat and humidity move to Seattle
Old May 11th 2006, 6:03 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God for air conditioning. Can you imagine what it was like for the early settlers?
AC is a must have here. When my wife(USC) came to live in the uk with me she was mortified that we didn't have AC. I told her we don't really need it, there are maybe a handfull of days in summer where it get uncomfortably hot but most of the time you can just open your window.

She is now of the opinion that any British person who complains about the weather is certifiably nuts and that she would love to have that kind of mild weather here.
Old May 11th 2006, 6:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drew&venna
what you did to climatized yourselves to the warmer climate here in the US?
I live in Michigan
Old May 11th 2006, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

yes! i heard on the news last night that the delta breeze would be coming back in the next few days, lets hope so.
sacto definitly sucks luckily after i'm done with summer school we'll be moving to the bay area where temps are more like 'home' for him! but we've got to make it thru the summer first thank god for AC
That depends where you live in the Bay Area. If you go east of the Oakland hills you will find it very hot (though not quite as hot as Sacto) in the summer and fall. You really need to live around the Bay itself or preferably in SF if you want cool weather. On hot summer days there can be a 30 degree difference in temperature between SF and Contra Costa county - a distance of about 25 miles.

Sacto, imo, is brutal in the summer and has few redeeming features except for a cool railroad museum
Old May 11th 2006, 6:38 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

hi there, this is my first time posting in this part of the forum! just was wonderin what you did to climatized yourselves to the warmer climate here in the US? my hubby came from the midlands area, and now we live in one of the warmest parts of CA (sacto area) temps in the mid to upper 80's now, and its only gonna get worse as summer progresses! poor thing. he's been drinking lots of water, and not going out during the height of the sunshine, but still. any advice?

Yeah, don't move to AZ!
Old May 11th 2006, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

The hot summers aren't the problem (pool+AC=Comfortable). It's the -5F winters with 100 inches of snow that annoys the crap out of me!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:06 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

So true. In VA and ID couldn't do without it, night and day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.