Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting Married - Tell the truth or lie to border control?!?

Getting Married - Tell the truth or lie to border control?!?

Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married - Tell the truth or lie to border control?!?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Right but busy doesn't necessarily mean more passengers. It's the ratio of immigration officers to passengers that is more important. Maybe they just don't have enough at Charlotte. Or maybe I've just been unlucky to arrive from Mexico at the same time as a bunch of other international flights. Washington Dulles is also a busy international airport and I've been to secondary there too. Personally I don't see any correlation between how busy the place is and how likely you are to have issues with immigration officers. If you're suggesting busier means you're more likely to be waved through, that has not been my experience.
I wasn't necessarily meaning busy per se, but the major hubs that have handled large numbers of international flights for several decades (might) have a cadre of pragmatic experienced CBP officers, as opposed to newer international hubs like Charlotte, where my experience has been that the CBP officers are more "edgy". I will concede that this argument may be less persuasive as CLT has grown and receives more international flights.

I am interested that you, and others had problems at Charlotte, because that is where I had my worst experience, though admittedly that was 15 years ago when there were only, I think, three transatlantic flights a day into Charlotte, very few, if any, international flights to the south, nor, I think, any to Canada either.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Atlanta is ridiculously easy to get through - I told them I was getting married and she didn't ask me a second question. It sounds like your bad experiences may have had alot to do with you rather than the Officer - if you present yourself with suspect circumstances then you have to expect that they ask more than just the basic questions.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
..... It sounds like your bad experiences may have had alot to do with you ......
Apparently exacerbated by verbal diarrhea.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
They don't need lengthy chats. They can just send you to secondary and make you wait there. Charlotte is busier than Newark but I got sent to secondary my last time through Charlotte - and I'm a US citizen!
I got sent to secondary at Dulles last month. Why? When asked what forms of currency I was bringing back into the US, I said Sterling and Euros (not large amounts). The question then became why did I have Euros when visiting the UK. Answer: I connected via Schiphol. Question: Why wasn't Netherlands noted on customs form as a country visited. Answer: Connecting flight, only flight side....off to secondary I went.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wasn't necessarily meaning busy per se, but the major hubs that have handled large numbers of international flights for several decades (might) have a cadre of pragmatic experienced CBP officers, as opposed to newer international hubs like Charlotte, where my experience has been that the CBP officers are more "edgy". I will concede that this argument may be less persuasive as CLT has grown and receives more international flights.

I am interested that you, and others had problems at Charlotte, because that is where I had my worst experience, though admittedly that was 15 years ago when there were only, I think, three transatlantic flights a day into Charlotte, very few, if any, international flights to the south, nor, I think, any to Canada either.
I am going to try to avoid connecting flights within the US when returning from abroad...or leave a lot more time between connections. There is just too much of a risk at the first POE going through US immigration. If I get sent to secondary, I risk missing my connection.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I got sent to secondary at Dulles last month. Why? When asked what forms of currency I was bringing back into the US, I said Sterling and Euros (not large amounts). The question then became why did I have Euros when visiting the UK. Answer: I connected via Schiphol. Question: Why wasn't Netherlands noted on customs form as a country visited. Answer: Connecting flight, only flight side....off to secondary I went.
I hate going through US immigration at Dulles but I can't always avoid it as it is one of 3 airports closest to me. The last time I got sent to secondary at Dulles, the immigration officer I had to deal with was a complete asshole.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:00 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The chances of getting denied entry if you admit to intending on getting married, whilst carrying a wedding dress, are out weighed by the chances of getting further immigration benefits denied, like AOS/PR, Citizenship, each of which will involve "swearing" you have never lied to gain an immigration benefit before. In my opinion.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
The chances of getting denied entry if you admit to intending on getting married, whilst carrying a wedding dress, are out weighed by the chances of getting further immigration benefits denied, like AOS/PR, Citizenship, each of which will involve "swearing" you have never lied to gain an immigration benefit before. In my opinion.
Yes, you really don't want to lie to the Federal government - ever

Look what happened to Martha Stewart ...