Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting Married - Tell the truth or lie to border control?!?

Getting Married - Tell the truth or lie to border control?!?

Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

mathremuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Married - Tell the truth or lie to border control?!?

So my American boyfriend flew over to England to ask my dad for my hand in marriage this christmas. It was all very romantic

Its impossible to get all our families together for a wedding in one country so we have decided to elope and then hold dinners for each family in our respective countrys at a later date.

So the question is.............do I lie at border control or tell them the truth that my fiancee and I are going to do a self solemization marriage in Colorado.

Now I have no intention of remaining in the US
- I am just being CRB checked for a job offer so I should have a job when I leave.
- I also hold a B2 visa which I used last year for five months to travel and stay with my boyfriend. When I leave to get married it will have been two days short of five months ive spent in England.
- I dont own a house anymore like when I did when I applied for my B2
- I do have a return ticket and I am only staying 11 days

It would be easier to tell the truth so I can take my wedding dress on the plane as hand luggage so they can hang it up nice but im terrified that they are going to deny me entry and ruin our wedding plans.

Another thing that may or may not be relevant is that I met my boyfriend online in Oct 2010 and I flew to meet that year for a long weekend and then stayed with him in 2012 in the summer when i had a career break and then hes stayed with myself and my family over christmas. So thats the extent of our relationship in physical contact with each other. We are also both mid thirties and never been married before and no children.

Why are we going to live apart at the minute?
Well his job is on the line and hes has to wait for that before we make a decision on what we do. He might want to come stay with me in the UK a while. If he does remain on its likely he will deploy for six months to a year.

Our long term goal is for me to move to the US but when we are ready for that and things are more concrete we will start the visa process properly. Where I remain in the UK until it goes through.

So I think thats the relevant info......oh and Im crap at lying!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married - Tell the truth or lie to border control?!?

Tell the truth, never lie to an immigration officer it can go very wrong, very quickly. Anyway there is nothing wrong coming to the US to get married, I did just that, as long as you don't intend to stay and adjust status.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldn't volunteer the information (unless asked), and didn't when I came to get married before returning to the UK. I also booked my flight via Newark, where (I correctly predicted that) the CBP officer stamped me in with a minimum of formalities and questions.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both
Pulaski I always get grilled and they make me feel nervous even though im doing nothing wrong!!! Im going to be carrying the dress as hand luggage so im sure its likely they will ask.

lansbury - did you get asked and have to explain it?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathremuk
Thanks both
Pulaski I always get grilled ....
Which airport(s) do you clear immigration at?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Atlanta unless they do it at schipol.

i was shocked when my friend told me she got cleared in dublin!!! i didnt know they do that. I thought you had to be in the US.

This is my first time at this airport so I have no previous experience of it.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious...how much time have you been together in person?

Just curious
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line answer to your thread title question....NEVER lie to an immigration officer. Period.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

About four months living together.....so dont worry ive cooked cleaned and seen all his bad habits........joking....hes lovely

Then 16 days visiting each other.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Never, ever lie at immigration. I have come through Atlanta many times and they have always been fine. Just tell them the truth.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Noorah101 - thanks....i just wanted to get the vibe. I am just worried they wont let us get married and then i have to fly home dress and all with all our plans scuppered. I wish you could have a skype interview before you book a trip with them instead of getting all the way there!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ok midatlantic! thanks
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by mathremuk
Atlanta unless they do it at Schipol . ....
Sorry, I meant which airports have you previously been grilled at?
.....I was shocked when my friend told me she got cleared in Dublin!!! i didn't know they do that. I thought you had to be in the US.
Only some flights out of Dublin fly transatlantic as "US domestic" flights. A number of Canadian airports also have US customs and immigration ahead of flights to the US.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
..... Just tell them the truth.
No, "answer the questions", you do not have to spill your guts at immigration.

"Business or pleasure?"
"Pleasure"

"How long are you staying?"
"Ten days"

[whump (stamp in passport)]

"Have a nice stay!"
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ive always been asked at every airport ive ever entered the US more than just business or pleasure. They always want to know more whether im travelling alone or not.

The worst was Denver when i went last year. They couldnt understand why I would want a 6 month visa to explore the states. I didnt have a return ticket though as i didnt know how long i was gonna stay out there so that might have been a red flag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.