Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a car...

Getting a car...

Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a car...

In response to all you hecklers - my questions are valid and even if you deem that I've had my fair share of help this is an immigration forum and my questions and any answers are helpful and relevant not just to myself but also to others. I did not realise there was a limit to the number of questions one could ask or the number of boards they could post on.

Hi there Michael, thanks for the excellent point you've raised (and for responding to my query when most others have simply popped their heads up to be nasty). I did take the point you raise into account as it would be really worthwhile to gain my children U.S. passports - but it seems (on my calculations) that my 16 year has already 'aged out' sadly, as (please correct me if I'm wrong) he would need to be resident in the U.S. for 2 years and under 18 to be eligible for a U.S. passport - and as he has already turned 16 this makes him a few months past the possibility of meeting that criteria... However, my baby could gain a U.S. passport after a couple of years.

It's sad as, in most of my enquiries, my teenager always ends up losing out or being unlikely to gain a Visa for one reason or another - mainly because of his Asperger's Syndrome. This is one of the reasons I've had to make so many enquiries. I've never emigrated before but it seems it's hard to emigrate with an autistic child these days.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333
In response to all you hecklers - my questions are valid and even if you deem that I've had my fair share of help this is an immigration forum and my questions and any answers are helpful and relevant not just to myself but also to others. I did not realise there was a limit to the number of questions one could ask or the number of boards they could post on.

Hi there Michael, thanks for the excellent point you've raised (and for responding to my query when most others have simply popped their heads up to be nasty). I did take the point you raise into account as it would be really worthwhile to gain my children U.S. passports - but it seems (on my calculations) that my 16 year has already 'aged out' sadly, as (please correct me if I'm wrong) he would need to be resident in the U.S. for 2 years and under 18 to be eligible for a U.S. passport - and as he has already turned 16 this makes him a few months past the possibility of meeting that criteria... However, my baby could gain a U.S. passport after a couple of years.

It's sad as, in most of my enquiries, my teenager always ends up losing out or being unlikely to gain a Visa for one reason or another - mainly because of his Asperger's Syndrome. This is one of the reasons I've had to make so many enquiries. I've never emigrated before but it seems it's hard to emigrate with an autistic child these days.
I don't believe that is correct. I think as long as he enters before his 18th birthday as an immigrant, he immediately becomes a US citizen. Others more knowledgeable hopefully will confirm that.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333

You may call it heckling, I call it helping. As regards Australia, your child may not lose out because of his condition, but because the chances are that your family would not get PR until after he reaches the age of 18 - if he is no longer dependent he cannot get PR as part of the family. Nothing to do with his condition, other families have be warned of the same probem in the past.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't believe that is correct. I think as long as he enters before his 18th birthday as an immigrant, he immediately becomes a US citizen. Others more knowledgeable hopefully will confirm that.
That's usually the case, as long as a parent becomes a USC before the child turns 18.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's usually the case, as long as a parent becomes a USC before the child turns 18.
She is already a USC but never lived in the US so I assumed the same would apply as if a parent naturalized prior to the child turning 18.