Reload this Page >

Getting a car...

Getting a car...

Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a car...

Hi there,

I'm considering relocating to the U.S. I've never lived there before but have a U.S. passport. I've never heard of car leasing and don't know how it works. Can some one tell me what the cheapest way to get a car long-term is - e.g. leasing or International Autosource (via AIG Travelguard, or other?. I'd really appreciate someone telling me how leasing works too. Do I need a good credit rating?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a car...

Where are you going?
What are you going to do, work or study?
Did you get the passport via parents I guess?
Maybe not essential but a little background helps contributors tailor responses.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What does long term mean to you? That'll make a difference. If you mean 6 months while someone else is thinking 2+ years for instance...

As for leasing, well there are just so many threads on BE that you can look up that go over the long list of cons and the very short list of pro's that you could just look them up.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 4:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A lease is effectively a long term rental. You make typically for three years, though two year leases are sometimes offered, but you never own the car, nor have any equity in it. At the end of the lease you just hand bà
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 9:46 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Where are you going?
What are you going to do, work or study?
Did you get the passport via parents I guess?
Maybe not essential but a little background helps contributors tailor responses.
Read her past postings, I don't think even she knows the answers to those , I wanted to help at the beginning but now it seems like guiding a headless chicken.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A lease is effectively a long term rental. You make typically for three years, though two year leases, or irregular periods such as 27 months, are sometimes offered, but you never own the car, nor have any equity in it. At the end of the lease you just hand bà
... back the keys. Though it is possible to buy the car at that point, there is no requirement to do so. The dealer sees a lease as a way to get a steady steady supply of 2-3 year old used cars, so there are strict rules on when and where it must be serviced, and a per mile penalty if you drive more than x,000 miles per year.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... back the keys. Though it is possible to buy the car at that point, there is no requirement to do so. The dealer sees a lease as a way to get a steady steady supply of 2-3 year old used cars, so there are strict rules on when and where it must be serviced, and a per mile penalty if you drive more than x,000 miles per year.
The car is also inspected on return and any damage, excess wear and tear, or abnormality, you will likely be accessed additional charges. For example if there are scratches or excess wear, you will likely be charged for those repairs. If you replaced a tire that wasn't the same brand and model that was originally on the car, you will likely be charged for a new tire.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this thread is a waste of time...read her other posts.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot
Ok this thread is a waste of time...read her other posts.
I did, but unfortunately only after posting above. The OP appears to be an immigration butterfly.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

I'm not an immigration butterfly. I've lived in one country for all my life. I came to Cyprus on a long holiday to fact find and see how it would work out here. My husband's boss is holding his job in the UK and we still have our house there. We've been here for three months and do not want to return to the UK but don't think Cyprus is the right place.

I'm considering my options as any wise person would and I'm sick of all the bitc++++ on this forum. Other forums are helpful and kind. I've been working with George Lombard towards Australia but am considering the U.S. because it would be stupid not to - I have a U.S. passport and everyone on this forum keeps telling me I haven't a hope in hell in Australia or New Zealand. We're working through the issues of our son's autism with George Lombard and don't want to put all our eggs in one basket. I've never had any issues with fact finding on any other forums but this website is just such a piece of work.

What sort of idiot would consider where they want to relocate to permanently without doing some serious research in to all the options (even if that means looking at various countries)? Now get off my back, and use your brains. My situation is far from complex.

Last edited by Claire333; Jun 24th 2013 at 10:45 am.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

To answer your question hotscot:

Where are you going? - we were thinking Iowa as the unemployment is low and they have lots of work in mys husband's field. California, Michigan, Illinois all have tons of jobs for my husband but we reckon the competition would be high as the unemployment is too. Texas would be a good idea as they do not have high unemployment and have lots of supply-chains but we aren't keen on Texas as the work in my husband's field centers arounbd coal, gas, etc and this is not his expertise. We also have a lot of family in Iowa and its come out tops of one of the happiest states with low levels of bullying (our son has Asperger's Syndrome). It also has a low cost of living compared to the other states and much lower than the city where we lived in the UK.
What are you going to do, work or study? - I will probably study - if possible with a scholarship. My husband will work as a Logistics and Production Manager.
Did you get the passport via parents I guess? - Yes, I've had it from birth.
Thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm considering my options as any wise person would and I'm sick of all the bitc++++ on this forum. Other forums are helpful and kind. I've never had any issues with fact finding on any other forums but this website is just such a piece of work.

What sort of idiot would consider where they want to relocate to permanently without doing some serious research in to all the options (even if that means looking at various countries)? Now get off my back, and use your brains. My situation is far from complex.[/QUOTE]

Not the way I 'd try and get advice but we're all different. Oh and if you did some basic research on BE you'd have seen that there are a fair few people who'd move to the other side of the world with little research. You'd also have seen that simply cutting and pasting one post and putting it in all the forums with no further info is only going to make people suspicious of your motives. Everyone here is more than happy to help and advise providing they don't think they're being taken for a ride.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:43 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Claire but so far you have chased anything between Us, Australia, Cyprus and France, as well as posting to rest of the world looking for ANYWHERE to move but UK. That indeed is the definition of immigration butterfly. Please make up your mind,

As you have said, Australia may not be happening but yet several members from Oz forums have spent time helping you. Same with French forum. And with Cyprus.... And now US forum. I'm sorry but everyone here "volunteers" and yes we check your history to be able to help better but when in case like yours, we find volunteer hours wasted, it usually puts you on ignore list. Further more doesn't help future migrants. To be honest, as said, I wanted to help you but it's like guiding a headless chook. Most of us take few minutes to an hour a day to help others.

If I helped you, OMG, it'll be hours compared to those who know what country they want to move to. Now, several, and I mean, SEVERAL, people have spent ages helping you but as they tell you as it is, repeatedly, unlike how you'd like it, you have decided to become rude. Sorry to burst it, grow a pair, make up your mind and sweeten up attitude, maybe when we finally know where you're headed we MIGHT help.... After all the effort put in so far by everyone we might do it!
Old Jun 24th 2013, 12:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333
I'm not an immigration butterfly. I've lived in one country for all my life. I came to Cyprus on a long holiday to fact find and see how it would work out here. My husband's boss is holding his job in the UK and we still have our house there. We've been here for three months and do not want to return to the UK but don't think Cyprus is the right place.

I'm considering my options as any wise person would and I'm sick of all the bitc++++ on this forum. Other forums are helpful and kind. I've been working with George Lombard towards Australia but am considering the U.S. because it would be stupid not to - I have a U.S. passport and everyone on this forum keeps telling me I haven't a hope in hell in Australia or New Zealand. We're working through the issues of our son's autism with George Lombard and don't want to put all our eggs in one basket. I've never had any issues with fact finding on any other forums but this website is just such a piece of work.

What sort of idiot would consider where they want to relocate to permanently without doing some serious research in to all the options (even if that means looking at various countries)? Now get off my back, and use your brains. My situation is far from complex.
Claire, there are an awful lot of people on here who have offered you advice and help in all your threads - I seem to remember myself suggesting George Lombard to you.
Your situation IS complex compared to many migrants. You have an autistic child who may not be able to get PR with you if you head to Australia, just for starters. You husband has a skill which may get you to Aus but he won't necessarily find a job easily. With the US - your location may affect where you can file the visa application for your husband. With France you are handicapped by lack of language, and as you can see from replies in this thread even leasing a car is not as straight-forward as first thought.

Most people are aiming for a specific country, or sometime deciding between two, such as Canada or Australia - its very unusual to have a poster like you asking about so many places at once, and if you remember that and are a bit more amenable to the people trying to help you then you are more likely to get good and constructive support.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm not wrong, the OP's children will become US citizens once they enter the US on their immigration visa. If this is important to the OP, then that should be done before they age out (18 years old).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.