Getting a bank account and car insurance

Old May 14th 2007, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

MarkLB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a bank account and car insurance

Originally Posted by Ray
Live within your means young man ....
Paying it off is a very good idea ...
I'm not young per se and secondly there is a huge percentage of the UK population that owe money on credit cards and not all of them fail to 'live within their means'. Naturally paying it off would be a good idea it's not viable at the moment and I'm sure there are folks on these very boards that took some kind of credit card debt with them.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkLB
I was going to make a new thread for my question but it's related to this thread so I'll ask it here.

I have a credit card that I will be transfering the balance on to another card soon (I'm one of the 0% 6 months balance transfer jumpers!) but towards the end of the year my K1-visa should be approved so I will be taking my credit card to the US with me. Could anyone give me some useful pointers or their experiences with the credit cards that they took with them and how they went about paying off the balance? I have an MBNA europe card at the moment which is very good and as with other cards they can be paid over the internet. Is this the only way to do this? Or please don't tell me that the balance has to be paid off in full before you go!
Not sure of MBNA specifically but a lot of companies will make you clear it if you arent resident as you become a higher risk - i.e. its difficult for them to enforce the debt. Some companies are fine but i didnt tell any of mine, including MBNA, and have mail redirected and paid on line until they were clear.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkLB
I'm not young per se and secondly there is a huge percentage of the UK population that owe money on credit cards and not all of them fail to 'live within their means'. Naturally paying it off would be a good idea it's not viable at the moment and I'm sure there are folks on these very boards that took some kind of credit card debt with them.
Surely if you cannot clear your CC balance at the end of each month...you are living beyond your means. At least that's the way I was brought up...if you can't pay for it...you don't buy it.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Surely if you cannot clear your CC balance at the end of each month...you are living beyond your means. At least that's the way I was brought up...if you can't pay for it...you don't buy it.
easier said than done though ain't it.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

NinjaTariq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Especially if you have kids...
Old May 14th 2007, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It was the rule my working class parents brought me up by...they never had any spare cash but the thought of owing a debt would have kept them awake at night. My in-laws are the same...you know the type when the gas bill drops through the letter box...they go straight to the PO and pay it.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

MarkLB is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we're going off topic here. Bob is right; it is easier said than done and we don't know everyone's personal circumstances. Thousands of Britains have got into the situation of balances they can't pay off and they include educated people like myself.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NinjaTariq
Especially if you have kids...
My parents had 2 children...my in-laws 3. It's today's have now...pay later society that think debt is acceptable. Maybe it is but not to me...I have and would rather go without than go into debt.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My parents had 2 children...my in-laws 3. It's today's have now...pay later society that think debt is acceptable. Maybe it is but not to me...I have and would rather go without than go into debt.
I don't think it's great to be in, but it's pretty easy to rack up when your a student, then things come up like you've got to repair the car etc.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't think it's great to be in, but it's pretty easy to rack up when your a student, then things come up like you've got to repair the car etc.
I realise that but many people in the UK aren't in debt because of education...it's because they want it all and they want it now. I know due to unforeseen circumstances debt happens...some try their best to work through it. Others don't...they see it as a way of life and just keep on spending.

MarkLB said he was not so young. He made it sound acceptable because a high number of people are in debt.

My parents and in-laws more or less have lived hand to mouth all their lives...but they've never been in debt. Neither myself or my husband went to uni....he worked 60+ hours per week while he studied for an under grad then a MBA...which we paid for ourselves.

Edit: I realise personal debt is probably worse in the US...I referred to the UK because MarkLB mentioned 'Britons'.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 14th 2007 at 7:19 pm.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The view from a younger family member who has just graduated:

Student Loans - has not started paying so not an issue.

Upside down on a car loan, trade it in and get an Audi and VW, roll over the debt into the new loan.

Housing - Mortgage 100% plus as they need the extra cash to furnish it.

Just need a job that pays of the minimum... Our well is dry.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:01 am
Just Joined

shawnodowd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul,I cant help but notice you refer to opening a US bank account as recently as 3 months ago. I've been to numerous ones and cant seem to pull that off. What bank did this for you?

S
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shawnodowd
Hi Paul,I cant help but notice you refer to opening a US bank account as recently as 3 months ago. I've been to numerous ones and cant seem to pull that off. What bank did this for you?

S
What State are you in
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by shawnodowd

S
just ask someone higher up than at the till...most will if they know you don't have a SSN...TD banknorth, BoA etc..
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:12 am
Just Joined

shawnodowd is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Cali. most will what? allow me to open an account with no SSN at all? Seems odd. Have you done it personally?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.