Reload this Page >

Getting a bank account and car insurance

Getting a bank account and car insurance

Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Amanda81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a bank account and car insurance

Hi

My partner and I are moving to America in June. He will have a J1 visa and I will have a J2 visa. He will have to start work almost immediately after we arrive.This means we will have to open a bank account, rent an apartment, buy car and get it insured pretty quickly. What information will we need to have to open a bank account and get car insurance? How do we go about doing it?

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a bank account and car insurance

Several months after I moved here, there was a law change about bank accounts & I needed a social security number to get an account (couldn't even have my name added to my husband's account). I believe there are some banks that don't require a SSN but most do. Hopefully someone can advise you on which ones don't require it.

You will need to apply for a SSN pretty quick. You even need it for pretty much everything over here, and once you apply, it comes through quite fast.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Several months after I moved here, there was a law change about bank accounts & I needed a social security number to get an account (couldn't even have my name added to my husband's account). I believe there are some banks that don't require a SSN but most do. Hopefully someone can advise you on which ones don't require it.

You will need to apply for a SSN pretty quick. You even need it for pretty much everything over here, and once you apply, it comes through quite fast.
There is no requirement under the Patriot Act to have a SSN for a bank account ..although some banks may have their own policies on that ..
If one bank refuses you ..just go to the next one ...

www.progressive.com will insure a car using your foreign licence at a hefty price...get your US licence as soon as possible ..
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
There is no requirement under the Patriot Act to have a SSN for a bank account ..although some banks may have their own policies on that ..
If one bank refuses you ..just go to the next one ...

www.progressive.com will insure a car using your foreign licence at a hefty price...get your US licence as soon as possible ..
Thanks Ray. I did just read also that if you have a reciept notice of application for an SSN, that will suffice for many banks that do have the requirement.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ray. I did just read also that if you have a reciept notice of application for an SSN, that will suffice for many banks that do have the requirement.
Umm!! I just would not use a bank that had petty crap rules ..
but often it just the bottom layer of staff that try it on ...
Go higher and its usually no problem ..
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't they all need some kind of ID number (SSN, tax ID, EIN etc) as part of Know Your Customer malarky? I saw those little signs in all banks last year when we moved & had to get a new account.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:56 pm
Ray

Don't they all need some kind of ID number (SSN, tax ID, EIN etc) as part of Know Your Customer malarky? I saw those little signs in all banks last year when we moved & had to get a new account.
Think of it this way ...there are around 25k (conservative est) foreign owned houses in Florida..the owner of which all have bank accounts ... but none have SSN...
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Think of it this way ...there are around 25k (conservative est) foreign owned houses in Florida..the owner of which all have bank accounts ... but none have SSN...
Interesting, if I had to guess I wuld have added another '0'.

I opened an account without a SSN.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:24 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Boiler
Interesting, if I had to guess I wuld have added another '0'.
I opened an account without a SSN.
I did say conservative ....
So did I .... although I had to tell them how to do it ...
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You just need proof of identity, so a passport or drivers license would be fine...they prefer SSN because it's easier...and if they require a number and you don't have one - 000-00-0004 that's generic johny foreigner number they can scribble down.

As for insurance and sorting a car, depends on which state you'll be in.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No new law about needing a social security number for opening a bank account that I know of either.

For the OP, both and your spouse are eligible for social security numbers by virtue of your visa. However, note that SSA will not issue a number to you unless you show up on the database they share with USCIS. It usually takes 7 to 10 days for this information to be logged onto the system. I, personally, would not attempt to apply for a social security number/card until the 10th day.

For renting an apartment since most landlords want and check references and credit history you are going to have a difficult time. If possible can hubby get a letter of employment from his company as to starting date, rate of salary? Bring letters of reference from former landlords.

As for the driver's licenses since you are eligible for a social security number get the license you cannot apply until you have the social security number and a several items showing you are living in the city, i.e. utility bill, lease, etc.

Looks like you will be driving on your foreign licenses for a month or so.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't need an SSN for my bank account. In fact I opened the account before I'd even been to the social security office. There was an 'issue' with the USCIS database since the day and month of my date of birth had been interchanged (I think the I-94 forms are dd/mm/yy so whoever entered it in the data base transposed them). Easily resolved at the social security office.

Lots of threads on here about establishing credit and the secured credit card - you should ask for one.

As for a driving licence, rules vary by state. I needed to show nothing more than my passport/visa/I-94 (and the fact I knew the laws and could move and stop the car). They didn't request proof of address, oddly!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:06 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

I got the bank account opened complete with a credit card before i got my SSN

I hear that hell will likely freeze over before i get a green card
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul S
I got the bank account opened complete with a credit card before i got my SSN

I hear that hell will likely freeze over before i get a green card
Interesting how many people managed to get a bank account without a SSN. I just couldn't no matter where I went. This was in Oct 03 & they told me that the changes went into affect in Sept 03.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:13 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how many people managed to get a bank account without a SSN. I just couldn't no matter where I went. This was in Oct 03 & they told me that the changes went into affect in Sept 03.
very strange Obviously changes from bank to bank, I distinctly remember them saying 'thats fine we'll just enter all zero's for the SSN' as soon as it came through I had it updated instantly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.