Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Front Loading Washing Machines

Front Loading Washing Machines

Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front Loading Washing Machines

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's a Whirlpool with a Kenmore sticker on it, I believe.
Actually Kenmore also sticks their name on LG's and Amanas....in the fridge department.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

NCP's got one, so no doubt she'll chirp in with a comment, though I'm sure you could probably find a few comments with a quick search

They are nice though, but not cheap...
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I just bought a front loader set from Sears, Kennore ones, pretty reasonable, $699 for the washer, $499 for the dryer.

I can't tell you what they're like though, they haven't delivered them yet.

....er, maybe I should have waited a few days before posting this...
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We have a top loader and it sucks. I can never use fabric softner in it because it leaves stains on the clothes.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
We have a top loader and it sucks. I can never use fabric softner in it because it leaves stains on the clothes.

They do wash fast though. And you can get a lot in them.

Incidently to the OP sears sell them I believe.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Both our washer and dryer are white .. I noticed this once ..when I ventured into this little room to see what was there ... never been back since ..
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
Both our washer and dryer are white .. I noticed this once ..when I ventured into this little room to see what was there ... never been back since ..
You have a washer and dryer? My wife says we do too but I've never seen them. Personally I think she goes to the laundrette with it all when im not looking.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
NCP's got one, so no doubt she'll chirp in with a comment, though I'm sure you could probably find a few comments with a quick search

They are nice though, but not cheap...
You have a good memory, Bob!

Yes, I have a front loading washing machine. Have had no problem in the 16 months I've had it. Read reviews of the Maytag Neptune 6500 here.

I have to admit that I probably run my washing machine less often than most American families (especially those with kids). I only run it twice a week and I buy and use HE detergent (which is key to cleaning and getting rid of the detergent from your wash).

If you haven't already found this site, I highly recommend This Home Site which has a Laundry Forum (yes, it's true).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:34 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Has anyone bought one of these over here? I have been renting the usual crap for a while and am sending those back this week.. M has the top loading ones too, but I want to sell that washer/dryer and buy front loaders cos I am sick of clothes getting ruines, but am not sure which is a good one to buy. I have looked at some online reviews and they are very mixed... Don't wanna spend an absolute fortune, or get something crappy either, so just wondered if anyone had bought one recently.

Thanks!!
Front loaders are inherently expensive (if you want one that is half decent) because the American public is slowly catching on to the benefits of
"European" style washing machines. If you can't afford to/are not willing to pay the higher amount (front loaders can be three times more expensive than toploaders), to be honest, you best forget it.

I can honestly say, with a front loader I'm using less water to wash a load, less electricity, and cost of detergent is turning out to be cheaper (one large tub of powder for whites lasts almost a year).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 5th 2005, 5:26 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Got a GE front loader. Wanted a Bosch but we don't have 220V in our place. It works fine and cleans well, but I'm slowly collecting screws, nuts, and bolts that fall out the bottom from time to time. So I'll probably have something else in a year or so.

If you're considering a front-loader and it's not going on the ground floor, check your floor construction first. Many places here do not have floors that are really built to take the vibration from a front-loader. If you have an iffy floor, pay attention to how well balanced the washer is. The Asko is allegedly very well balanced, but my GE sure isn't.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

we've got the whirlpool front loader and dryer,its much better than the top loader we had, it doesn't eat the clothes like they did.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I did the laundry once, while she was in hospital having the baby.........

soon as mother and baby came home I rushed out and had a vasectomy. Just in case it ever happened again.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:45 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she had the baby a year AFTER you had the snip!!!
Originally Posted by rushman
I did the laundry once, while she was in hospital having the baby.........

soon as mother and baby came home I rushed out and had a vasectomy. Just in case it ever happened again.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Kenmore are basically a sears own brand, they get whatever they can and stick a Kenmore label on them.
I have a Frigidaire, made by Electrolux, front loader. I looked into it a lot and there was just no way I was getting a top loader. The washer was 797 or 747, can't remember, but working out the amount of water and electricity it would use plus the cost of clothes that get ruined by top loaders I figured that in 4 or 5 years it would be cheaper than one of the 400-500 top loaders. It is also very quiet and does a great job in general. You can't really use the old excuse that there aren't any liquids or powders for front loaders anymore because there are quite a few. Even I found one and i am allergic to the biological ones. Cant remember the number but it is on the Sears website. I think it is the 3.5 cubic foot Frigidaire.
I also agree that the laundry forum is a good un!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:35 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot

Ah, so I'm not the only one who ends up with crappy stained clothes then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.