Florida

Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

NicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really nice
Default Florida

Hi, my husband lived in Davenport near Orlando for 3 yrs and when Myself and my daughters aged 17 and 19 moved over we settled in Melbourne.

We don't like Florida and wish to move somewhere else in the USA.

Where do other ex pats recommend?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida

Hi, welcome to the forum.
It's kind of difficult to suggest a place unless we know what you don't like about Florida.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicolaH
Hi, my husband lived in Davenport near Orlando for 3 yrs and when Myself and my daughters aged 17 and 19 moved over we settled in Melbourne.

We don't like Florida and wish to move somewhere else in the USA.

If you move are you going to have a job when you get there? It would be foolish to move just because there are things you don't like about Florida, only to get somewhere and be unemployed don't you think?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend the Pacific northwest... unless you don't like rain.
I recommend Kentucky... unless you don't like horses or basketball.
I recommend West Virginia... unless you don't like Appalachia.
I recommend Arizona... unless you don't like very hot summers.

Need I go on?

You've asked a somewhat vacuous question. How can we possibly make recommendations until we know what you like or, more importantly, why you don't like Florida.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

NicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really nice

My husband is self employed, owns a business and we just don't like the Florida lifestyle. I think somewhere more North.

Everyone says they will do something here and they never do and the food is terrible. People threaten to sue all the time, they drive dangerous, there are no decent bars, people are transient, the food is awful, all full of salt and additives. The list is endless....

I've been told it's more like England the more North you get, settled communities, better food etc.

We were even told by the local Dr that it's not a safe place for teenage girls.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:53 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is self employed, owns a business and we just don't like the Florida lifestyle. I think somewhere more North.

Everyone says they will do something here and they never do and the food is terrible. People threaten to sue all the time, they drive dangerous, there are no decent bars, people are transient, the food is awful, all full of salt and additives. The list is endless....

I've been told it's more like England the more North you get, settled communities, better food etc.

Maybe try England?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of business is it - I guess the key thing will be to move somewhere your business can be successful...if you move to somewhere where its going to be a flop, you'll end up unhappier than you think you are now. If I were you I'd do some research and have a look-see about where it might prosper.

Hard to really give decent suggestions with limited info...work aside, its all about individual/family preferences, etc. Me personally, I wouldn't mind giving Colorado a go because I like skiing
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Just dont go anywhere South of San Antonio in Texas and you will be fine.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You just described most of America
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Well, don't move to the Lake Tahoe area if you expect people to do what they said they'd do when they say they'd do it. Or expect them to call you when you want to give them money.

I personally don't like Florida that much either but for different reasons (the humidity doesn't agree with me) but my experience not that much further north of Melbourne (Ormond Beach/Daytona Beach/Deland area) suggests that you might want to look around a little more.

Plus I think it'd be helpful if you told us what you're looking for rather than what you can't stand.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in southern Maine and I find it culturally most similar to the U.K. It's also a safe, family friendly area to raise children with easy access to Boston. Kids here have a more old fashioned kind of upbringing. Its like the U.K 30 years ago. I don't really for Florida, it's a bit soulless for me and the heat would be too much.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You've ruled out LA

You might be thinking of Canada being more like England.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:40 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone says they will do something here and they never do
In business terms or social terms? Could cultural differences possibly be coming into play here?

and the food is terrible.
What kind of food do you like, and what don't you like about the food you have? Are you talking about restaurant meals, or the ingredients that you can get at stores to cook your own meals?

People threaten to sue all the time,
I haven't run into this one in 25+ years of living in America. What are they threatening to sue you about? Are you, perhaps, doing something that they don't like?

they drive dangerous[ly],
In the north you will encounter drivers in severe weather conditions. If you don't go far enough north then you will encounter drivers in severe weather conditions who are not used to driving in severe weather conditions. Have you considered taking a course in defensive driving to increase your awareness of the road and your abilities to handle poor drivers?

there are no decent bars,
Well, no, there wouldn't be...bar/pub culture in the US is VERY different from in the UK.

people are transient,
I don't understand this one. Do you mean that they move from one community to another a lot? Like from Florida to the north?

the food is awful, all full of salt and additives.
Yes, you mentioned this. But it's only got additives if you're buying prepackaged stuff or restaurant meals...

The list is endless....
How long ago did you move to the US? (At a guess - 3 to 9 months ago?) This sounds a lot like culture shock to me. It won't be any different elsewhere in the country - you and your family need to work through the culture shock process.

I've lived in the northeastern states for most of my life and then spent five years in England. I would not have said they are the same.

This is very strange for a doctor to say. Did he elaborate? What, exactly, are they are risk for?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
This is very strange for a doctor to say. Did he elaborate? What, exactly, are they are risk for?
Not really. When we went for Green card medicals, the doctor told my kids, 'This is LA, make sure to practise safe sex".
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:53 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Not really. When we went for Green card medicals, the doctor told my kids, 'This is LA, make sure to practise safe sex".
That's what I'm wondering - whether the doctor felt the girls would choose to engage in unsafe practices, or whether the physical area that they are located in is actively or passively hazardous in some way. If the girls decide to engage in risky behaviour then that's hardly the fault of Florida. They could do that anywhere, if they really wanted to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.