Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fish and Chips

Fish and Chips

Old Aug 6th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all
Default Re: Fish and Chips

Originally Posted by Gtsnapper
Those are my favourite crisps, I shall be bringing back lots of them next time Im back home
Right -- love them too; but Smokey Bacon and Cheese & Onion are up there with them. I buy mine by the box load from British Delights -- not much more expensive than buying in England.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodacre
Right -- love them too; but Smokey Bacon and Cheese & Onion are up there with them. I buy mine by the box load from British Delights -- not much more expensive than buying in England.
And do you control yourself ? I know I couldn't with a box load in the house in fact I would be the size of an house as well
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Originally Posted by britvic
And do you control yourself ? I know I couldn't with a box load in the house in fact I would be the size of an house as well

It's difficult. But I have hungry kids who miss their Walkers crisps too, so it's not so bad.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult. But I have hungry kids who miss their Walkers crisps too, so it's not so bad.
Just you make sure you have your own stash then it's Dad that pay's for them
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really? Are they an online retailer or a physical shop?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

Gtsnapper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Adnams
Oh really? Are they an online retailer or a physical shop?
I just found their online store through Google. And they had Walkers Prawn Cocktail Flavour crisps.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

I just found their online store through Google. And they had Walkers Prawn Cocktail Flavour crisps.
Oh no! I'll be 10 pounds heavier in a week! Can you post the link for us all?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.britishdelights.com/Crisps.htm

Here's the link all.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:17 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

A had great fish and chips in 100 Mile House B.C., but I don't think I'd drive the 1537.37 miles mapquest quotes

Cariboo Diner Fish & Chip Restaurant, mmmm goods fish and chips

In Britain I could drive from London to Edinburgh (and even further) in that time.

It was well worth it!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Well firstly I should say Hello, as I've just joined these forums, and thank you, as I read something here last week, which lead us to visit a Fish and Chip shop we didnt know about.

I've been living in the US for about 5 months now, to come and live with my Wife. I do miss good old Britain sometimes.

Well, the place I read about here, was London Fish and Chips in Cary, NC. It was fantastic food, just like at home, I drank tea, read some British newspapers, and even bought a couple of Curly Wurly chocolate bars to bring home.

It was well worth the 3 hours drive there and back, and good to hear some British accents I havent heard in a few months.
I went to London Fish and Chips (the name is naff but it's to bring in the sceptics I suppose) back in May. It was OK. I was disappointed about the batter on the fish (not crispy) and the chips were British style but not fried chip shop style. I'll give them another go since American friends mentioned about going.

Based on the experience described above, the fish and chips are not much like the fish and chips I ate in the UK, that's for sure.

I'd rather go to Skipper's in Apex for fried fish because at least Skipper's is consistent. Tip: go for the fish sandwich and ditch the bun and that's good fish and chips.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Gtsnapper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I was disappointed about the batter on the fish.
The batter at LF+C is certainly different to back home, I dont know if it's the subtle difference of some ingredients we have over here.

Flapjacks I've baked at home using a British recipe. I could source all of the ingredients, except for demerara sugar which I used a different brown sugar, and the only honey I can find is probably too thin. The end result was very different and not very good.

Im having withdrawl symptoms from Fray Bentos pies, and Im going to have a go at making a Steak and Ale pie one evening this week. But if that doesnt come out right, I'll drink all the ale and it should seem exactly the same
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

The batter at LF+C is certainly different to back home, I dont know if it's the subtle difference of some ingredients we have over here.

Flapjacks I've baked at home using a British recipe. I could source all of the ingredients, except for demerara sugar which I used a different brown sugar, and the only honey I can find is probably too thin. The end result was very different and not very good.

Im having withdrawl symptoms from Fray Bentos pies, and Im going to have a go at making a Steak and Ale pie one evening this week. But if that doesnt come out right, I'll drink all the ale and it should be exactly the same

My OH makes an awesome steak and kidney totally from scratch. It just needs a bit of dedication, or is that desperation to get it right.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

I've had a couple of quite competent attempts at fish and chips in America, at opposite ends of the country. One was in Seattle, where there is a British style pub called the Elephant and Castle. But their curry sauce was nothing like British chip shop curry sauce. The other was at Epcot in Walt Disney World, in the UK bit. Nice being served by realy British people too, and nice to be able to buy a beer with your chips and eat and drink overlooking the harbour.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I've also got Nik Naks Nice N' Spicey
When I was preggers with my first I craved Scampi & Lemon Nik Naks, my mum mailed me some over... my hubby about gagged at the smell and wouldn't let me eat them in the house!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. Thats about a 8 hour drive for me, but still I would do it. Really miss the F & C's.
Don't need to drive 8 hours - 'The Chip Shop' in Brooklyn and 'A Salt & Battery' in Greenwich Village both do "the real deal". The former's a sit-down relatively low-key British-themed pub/restaurant with fish, proper British Chips, Irn Bru, Vimto, deep-fried mars bars, treacle sponge - the lot. The latter's a take-away only place but has a bench outside you can sit on and people-watch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.