Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a way to move

Finding a way to move

Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

ObsidianHope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a way to move

I was looking for advice, probably the same advice a lot of people are looking for on here.
I'm British, recently graduated and into office work. I have a large group of friends and a lot of support in the California and I'm really, really trying to find a way to make the move over. I've applied to every and any job I can see and read just about every immigration website I can. My best friend is calling every immigration lawyer he can find but finding mostly that they cater for Hispanic or Asian clients.

Does anyone have any advice or resources they can suggest to help me please?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:14 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding a way to move

need to check out job websites for field u interested in including whether they will sponsor yr visa or not thanks
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Take a look at this and see you if you have a chance of qualifying for a visa first
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:01 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonights
need to check out job websites for field u interested in including whether they will sponsor yr visa or not thanks
It's quite a lot more complicated than this...

Very similar recent thread, with lots of helpful replies:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748154

OP, you don't give many details about your field/s of expertise, but if you're a recent graduate currently doing office work, then there's very little chance you'll get the kind of job offer that'll qualify you for a visa. Don't get ripped off by anyone promising otherwise.*

(*I only say this because you sound really keen to come over, and that can cloud judgement. Beware 'visa agencies' which offer to sell you a list of visa-sponsoring companies, and scuzzy potential employers with too-good-to-be-true offers.)

You might want to consider short-term, temporary options (like postgrad here, if you have the cash) or just play the long game: work for a UK company with a US presence, in hopes that they'll transfer you one day, or simply become so awesome at what you do in the UK that you become an attractive prospect to US employers.

Good luck with everything
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Plenty of recent threads on this as pointed out, in the immigration forum.

Basically don't bother with a lawyer at this point, waste of money.

As a recent grad, how recent? IF you've just graduated, you might be able to find a J1 internship, if it's been more than , what, a year? Then you've missed your chance which realistically leaves the study option as the most realistic option right now.

Though given a few more years of experience and networking you'll certainly find you could work yourself into a position where you could get a work visa.

That is presuming you don't have a boat load of cash lying around in your back pocket