Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Business Graduate looking for a life in the US

UK Business Graduate looking for a life in the US

Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Dan.price.21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Business Graduate looking for a life in the US

Hi All.

I was hoping maybe someone could share some advice and knowledge that may be helpful to me.

So, in a nutshell, I am a 24 year old Business studies graduate with a few years of experience in a couple of industries, looking to start a life in the states.

My motivations are simply that I have always wanted to live in the USA and every time I have visited there is nothing that hasn't strengthened that feeling, from the culture to the people to the lifestyle etc.

I was considering moving near to Atlanta or Chicago as I have friends there, but I don't really know where to start or if it is even possible? It seems to be very difficult to get even a temporary working visa without having a sponsor or a lot of money in the bank or someone who wants to marry you!

As I said I am 24, I have a good Business Studies degree, I have experience in the Logistics industry & Security industry as well as business management, marketing, accounting and other parts of business.

So anyone any advice? (most appreciated in advance)

Dan
Old Feb 11th 2012, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Business Graduate looking for a life in the US

Originally Posted by Dan.price.21
I don't really know where to start or if it is even possible?
Start here. If there's a visa that is appropriate for you, give it a go.

It seems to be very difficult to get even a temporary working visa without having a sponsor or a lot of money in the bank or someone who wants to marry you!
You've hit the nail on the head. The US is one of the most difficult places to get to. It seems you've already done your homework, since those are the 3 most common methods of getting to the US.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

the day you got your degree ..probably 500 American citizen got theirs as well ...and some of them are looking for a job ...

to employ them cost nothing
to employ you could cost them
$5000 plus and with lots of problem

Now tell me why they should want you
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
the day you got your degree ..probably 500 American citizen got theirs as well ...and some of them are looking for a job ...

Wow, who threw you a bone? Thanks for the HELPFUL advice
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Start here. If there's a visa that is appropriate for you, give it a go.

You've hit the nail on the head. The US is one of the most difficult places to get to. It seems you've already done your homework, since those are the 3 most common methods of getting to the US.

Ian
Thanks Ian. This is very helpful!
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Ian, I don't know if you got my reply? But incase you didn't that's great! Thanks again
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Why the attitude Ray? If you were annoyed by the question then just stay away from it. The OP did nothing to deserve your response.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
Why the attitude Ray? If you were annoyed by the question then just stay away from it. The OP did nothing to deserve your response.
explaining the fact of life ... obviously you dont know them either
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon
I think Ray is pointing out that however much a person may want to move to the US, they have to have something extra to offer to make it worthwhile for the employer.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

ndaudi07 will become famous soon enoughndaudi07 will become famous soon enough

While I agree that it may be a very difficult place to move to via the employer-sponsored route, there is no harm in trying to apply to some jobs in your specific field and hoping that there is a company out there that needs your unique skills and is willing to take you on.

The negativity inherent in Ray's response should not discourage you from trying. I am a UK/Pakistani dual citizen, and have managed to get a job in a highly competitive industry, and well I too started off by giving it a shot and hoping things would work out. Granted I did my undergraduate studies in the US so I may have had more exposure to the system, but there are many people who manage to make it here from abroad, so long as they can fulfill the minimum job requirements and find an employer willing to hire you.

My suggestion - if you have friends who work here in the US (and assuming some of them work in your field of interest), start by asking whether their companies have any vacancies and if they would be willing to pass on your resume. Generally going via a known route would be a better idea than to apply blindly to all companies out there (of course you should do that too for a few companies that may appeal to you).

Hope this helps, and all the best!
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's true though.

That's not to say that you can't work yourself into a position of getting a visa...just that realistically with only a couple years of experience, you have a very small chance, especially right now of getting a work sponsor.

Your best bet would have been into looking for a internship after you graduated, but that boat has sailed.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Well... despite the delivery, the advice actually was helpful. It made you aware that there are thousands of people who don't need sponsoring and who can start work tomorrow if asked. If a US employer wants you, they're going to spend a lot of money to get you... but they'll want superior skills in return - something that sets you apart from those who don't need sponsoring. If you don't have those superior skills, they'll hire someone who doesn't need sponsoring.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
explaining the fact of life ... obviously you dont know them either
See you make my point valid. Your just plain rude and for no reason. My statement was nothing to do with the thread not being factual, just that it had attitude.

Has nothing to do with facts of life. Keep the attitude contained.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Other options to getting to the US are the student-visa option and the DV lottery. These visa types don't require a job offer or a sponsor, which makes them easier to get, but they also have their own drawbacks.... just something to consider, since you're asking for options.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
Other options to getting to the US are the student-visa option and the DV lottery. These visa types don't require a job offer or a sponsor, which makes them easier to get, but they also have their own drawbacks.... just something to consider, since you're asking for options.
Yes, considering most Brits don't qualify for the DV lottery...it being based on country of birth....and college being a rather expensive option...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.