Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going home fir a month - advice on uk mobile phone

Going home fir a month - advice on uk mobile phone

Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going home for a month - advice on uk mobile phone

Mrs HTS is heading home for a month, in 10 days time.

She doesn't appear to have a mobile phone that will work in UK - she's on T Mobile PAYG over here.

She has her old Motorola handset from UK, supplied by Vodafone.

Can she get a new SIM card once in the UK and use that in her old UK handset? If so, can she get it at T5 LHR when she lands?

Any other options gratefully accepted.

Cheers

HTS

Last edited by HarryTheSpider; Feb 12th 2012 at 2:11 pm. Reason: Spelling!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:29 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Going home fir a month - advice on uk mobile phone

Dixons have an outlet in T5 and when I was in there in November they had SIM cards for 8 pence for T mobile.
I did not check but probably able to add minutes at the checkout or at WH Smiths Newsagent .

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Mrs HTS is heading home for a month, in 10 days time.

She doesn't appear to have a mobile phone that will work in UK - she's on T Mobile PAYG over here.

She has her old Motorola handset from UK, supplied by Vodafone.

Can she get a new SIM card once in the UK and use that in her old UK handset? If so, can she get it at T5 LHR when she lands?

Any other options gratefully accepted.

Cheers

HTS
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Drew - sounds ideal.

Is this still accessible when inbound to T5?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like she is having separation issues from her mobile!

If she absolutely must have one as soon as she gets there, if she is being met then they can bring one with her, if not get one posted over so she has it in advance?
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:13 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Thanks Drew - sounds ideal.

Is this still accessible when inbound to T5?
It is in the domestic area after security, so if transferring flights okay.
Otherwise I would suggest getting a friend or family member to mail over a SIM with some pre-purchased minutes added. Easily done somewhere like Tesco.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If the Vodaphone is unlocked, sure, get a sim, stick it in and you're good to go.

If not, need to get it unlocked, depending on the phone, you might be able to do it yourself by googling but if you need hardware to do it, any old phone shop should be able to do it for a few squid.

Get a pre-paid sim card from Amazon or ebay and sent to you if you have to have it ready to do when you land.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 5:46 pm
Some Where in the Desert

Originally Posted by Bob
Get a pre-paid sim card from Amazon or ebay and sent to you if you have to have it ready to do when you land.
Sellers on Amazon.co.uk may not be able to ship a mobile phone SIM to the US.

I have had a micro SIM from 3 for my iPad shipped to the US,
but I did not find a seller who would ship a SIM for my 3G USB modem or my UK T-mobile phone to the US.

Also will it arrive within ten days?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

ive got a UK mobile - ancient - but I use it when i go to the UK
I get a vodaphone freedom pack - basically you get a number of minutes and texts - cant remember how many now but it lasts a while

Your mobile in UK might be able to take this sim package?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

coops9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't notice this earlier, she can get a Vodafone sim and pop it straight in and then if she tops up with £10, she can select a 'freebee' that would give her 60 minutes of International calls as well as her normal £10 of credit. I do it every time I am home and the 60 minutes is good for calls to US cell phones and landlines.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/p...bees/index.htm
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks CADreaming & coops9999 - looks like just the ticket!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Newfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to allNewfarnley is a name known to all

Check out www.mobal.com. When I travel to UK & europe I use a phone I purchased from them. It's not expensive and has a UK phone number. It works well for me.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:49 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

most networks give the sims away at airports and train stations as long as phone is unlocked just pop it in and add credit simple as that!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

k1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nicek1journey is just really nice

Go to Asda and you can get a Sim and Five Pounds of credit for five pounds. Tmobile has them too but Asda Mobile is cheaper.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

I see Tesco has sim cards for £0.99 and a sim-free unlocked handset for £9.97!!

We'll go with the £0.99 sim card as a 'starter for 10'

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Cheers

HTS