Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filing Taxes for 2006

Filing Taxes for 2006

Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:51 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And how many people would be able to say they had been 100% accurate and watertight if they prepared thier own taxes? I know I couldn't. I think its worth 100 bucks for the peace of mind....the IRS are one bunch you dont want to piss around with. They make the USCIS seem like a boy scout troop.
Actually, the IRS aren't that bad!! We had an error in our tax one year and had to have an audit. Hubby and I found that they were pretty decent about it. Yes, there was a minimal fine, but it was an honest error on our part and they worked with us to get it sorted out.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:53 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Back to tax- my daughter in law over- withholds just to get a big tax refund, which she uses to pay off her credit/store cards (some of them over 20% interest!). The only way she can buy clothes etc is by credit card (cos the silly bugger is way overpaying tax every month. She uses H&R cos she doesn't trust turbotax, pays their fees and then pays to get the refund instantly...okay if I had nothing to do for the next hour I could propably work out just what that tax refund was actually 'costing' her. My son has given up trying to get through to her about it.
Was she dropped on the floor as a child?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Was she dropped on the floor as a child?
LOL- I wouldn't call her lazy or stupid really- but yep definitely something bloody lacking there!
What's scary is there's so many people who do the same thing.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:01 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

$400 a month.
Imagine what you could do with the $16's worth of interest that you could have accumulated from $400 invested in a regular savings account for 13 months

Yes, I know that it all adds up, but them there are so many other ways that you can be "careful" with your cash if you want to.
To me I'm prepared to sacrifice what many would consider to be a small amount of cash to have hassle free tax filing and a reasonably significant refund cheque at the end of it all.

(God, I'm bored today)
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:01 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

LOL- I wouldn't call her lazy or stupid really- but yep definitely something bloody lacking there!
crikey, shes screwing herself in at least three different ways there!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:02 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
crikey, shes screwing herself in at least three different ways there!
I think I've seen that video :scared:
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, seems not to be nationality-specific as we've got a few on this board, too!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Imagine what you could do with the $16's worth of interest that you could have accumulated from $400 invested in a regular savings account for 13 months

Yes, I know that it all adds up, but them there are so many other ways that you can be "careful" with your cash if you want to.
To me I'm prepared to sacrifice what many would consider to be a small amount of cash to have hassle free tax filing and a reasonably significant refund cheque at the end of it all.

(God, I'm bored today)
Well work out a more efficient way of doing your taxes if your bored
errrm I get considerably more than $16 interest- I don't use regular saving accounts.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:08 am
Septicity

Compounded over 13 months, and then times 12 (compounded over less months). You've just thrown the best part of a pony away. You could solve the problem in 30 minutes. How much do they pay you at work? $100/hr. Coz that's what you're paying yourself by using your nouse.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:12 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Compounded over 13 months, and then times 12 (compounded over less months). You've just thrown the best part of a pony away. You could solve the problem in 30 minutes. How much do they pay you at work? $100/hr. Coz that's what you're paying yourself by using your nouse.
Why would you compound it when I've used the apr ??

The fact that we are discussing this should probably indicate that I do not think that the sums involved make it worth my while, given that I'd prob just spend the cash saved from the withholding anyway.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:18 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that we are discussing this should probably indicate that I do not think that the sums involved make it worth my while, given that I'd prob just spend the cash saved from the withholding anyway.

apr is not apy

apy is the compounded return
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:21 am
Septicity

No idea how you were doing it! I've got XL running on the other machine at the moment if you want me to crunch the numbers for you.

But, we're not talking pennies here like you insist we are. It can possibly be worth 250 to 1,000 bucks a year in gains for an average person on this board, possibly much more if you're borrowing money on your credit card that you lent to the government for nothing like our gingered Michelle!

And it really isn't that hard to do.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:23 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
apr is not apy

apy is the compounded return
Apologies, that's what I meant, however $400 invested at a rate of 4.25% would not return you $25 in interested over a 13 month period no matter what way you slice it.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:25 am
Septicity

Apologies, that's what I meant, however $400 invested at a rate of 4.25% would not return you $25 in interested over a 13 month period no matter what way you slice it.

But there's $400 for Jan, $400 for Feb, $400 for Mar...all going into his account.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how a democrat can come across as so money hungry
Surely if the govt has your cash they will be earning interest on it anyway, which will ultimately end up contributing to the greater good.
Who gives a shit about the political leanings of a poster? Surely what matters is getting sound/constructive advice/comments...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.