Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filing Taxes for 2006

Filing Taxes for 2006

Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

Originally Posted by Big D
You mean dont pay withholding until the final bill is due? I thought that they charged penalties for that? Sorry - I dont really know as i am lucky enought to get all that sorted! Quite glad as it seems like a mine field!!!

As long as you keep it below a certain figure, they swallow it.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
it took a while to convice her that bob and michelle were retarded in letting the IRS have their money for most of the year - interest-free
To be fair, unless Bob and Michelle are willing to take the time (and have the investment smarts) to avoid underwithholding AND to invest the savings in a way that will net them more than the current > 1% nominal savings rate, Bob and Michelle are probably safer as is.

You should tell your wife that you are far more investment-savvy than Bob and Michelle combined.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:12 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
To be fair, unless Bob and Michelle are willing to take the time (and have the investment smarts) to avoid underwithholding AND to invest the savings in a way that will net them more than the current > 1% nominal savings rate, Bob and Michelle are probably safer as is.

You should tell your wife that you are far more investment-savvy than Bob and Michelle combined.
true, but I don't think its that tough just to get the standard withholding for a married couple and open a 4.25% account with hsbc...
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:58 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
true, but I don't think its that tough just to get the standard withholding for a married couple and open a 4.25% account with hsbc...
Hate to seem like a wet blanket here, but for all the difference its going to make who really cares.
One thing is for sure - if the IRS hold your money for you for a few months you sure as heck aren't going to fritter it away during that time.
I would have no probs getting a reasonably large refund as it would give me a lump sum that I can put to better use than say an extra $100 per pay check. The 4.25% interest for a few months is hardly going to get me enough for a good night out.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Hate to seem like a wet blanket here, but for all the difference its going to make who really cares.
One thing is for sure - if the IRS hold your money for you for a few months you sure as heck aren't going to fritter it away during that time.
I would have no probs getting a reasonably large refund as it would give me a lump sum that I can put to better use than say an extra $100 per pay check. The 4.25% interest for a few months is hardly going to get me enough for a good night out.
On your first paycheck of the year, you pay additional funds to the IRS bank of no interest. That money will be released 13 months down the road. The money is not liquid and you do not get the benefit of its earning potential.

If you like the excitement of a big windfall once a year, pay the IRS less and put the difference in an automatic savings plan -- your financial institution will no doubt be happy to provide one for you. Now the money is liquid (useful for emergencies) and you benefit from its earning potential.

What's so difficult to understand about that?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:19 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
On your first paycheck of the year, you pay additional funds to the IRS bank of no interest. That money will be released 13 months down the road. The money is not liquid and you do not get the benefit of its earning potential.

If you like the excitement of a big windfall once a year, pay the IRS less and put the difference in an automatic savings plan -- your financial institution will no doubt be happy to provide one for you. Now the money is liquid (useful for emergencies) and you benefit from its earning potential.

What's so difficult to understand about that?
No offense to anyone who posts on here, but I doubt if there are many 7/8 figure earners, so in reality what are you going to be missing out on in terms of interest by the IRS holding some of your cash for you ????
As for the automatic savings plan option - well many people lack the financial restraint to leave the cash there for a year without dipping into it now and again.

Anyway, you've missed my point. The subtexts of a lot of the posts on here seemed to be saying that people who get a big refund are either lazy or stupid. I'm quite happy to get a big refund for the reasons explained, and frankly I have better things to do with my time instead of trying to calculate how I can minimize my withholdings so that I end up with say an extra $500 over the course of the year, assuming that I did not spend the cash well before the year end.
To me it seems like one of those penny wise, pound foolish things - if you're that bothered about having your tax in a savings account for the year I assume that you drive a hybrid motor and have solar panels on your roof.

Each to his own as far as this goes, but I'll take my refund and have fun with that for which I have had to waste no time or effort on throughout the year.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:21 am
Septicity

The subtexts of a lot of the posts on here seemed to be saying that people who get a big refund are either lazy or stupid.
Yes
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:37 am
Thinking about it

Yes
Funny how a democrat can come across as so money hungry
Surely if the govt has your cash they will be earning interest on it anyway, which will ultimately end up contributing to the greater good.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:46 am
Septicity

Funny how a democrat can come across as so money hungry
Surely if the govt has your cash they will be earning interest on it anyway, which will ultimately end up contributing to the greater good.

Last time I took the test, I was a fiscal liberal.

Kevntrace stated that: "The refund covers my house tax for the next year and covers the flights for our annual trip back to the UK. "

They live in the Bay area -- so I would expect property tax to be rather high.

I expect at least a 10% return on my money.

So I guess they're probably throwing away at least 3 figures if not 4 every year for the sake of maybe 30 minutes work and a little discipline.

If you're not capable of self-discipline, we have a few of this board who can train.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:53 am
Thinking about it

I expect at least a 10% return on my money.
Didn't you quote 4.25%. If you are expecting 10% them you are most likely investing in equities where the return is not guaranteed, and if you do this all in 30 minutes then you are either A) chosing your investments rather recklessly and B) paying some fund manager through the nose in fees to invest your cash for you, in which case, following your train of thought re making better use of your cash you'd be better off investing it yourself.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:01 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not capable of self-discipline, we have a few of this board who can train.
Try Bob and Michelle first.

Of course, fatbrit, without the Bobs and Michelles of the US, the IRS would be cash starved and would start insisting on even greater penalties for underwithholding and pre-payment.

Bob and Michelle are doing you a favour.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:01 am
Septicity

Didn't you quote 4.25%. If you are expecting 10% them you are most likely investing in equities where the return is not guaranteed, and if you do this all in 30 minutes then you are either A) chosing your investments rather recklessly and B) paying some fund manager through the nose in fees to invest your cash for you, in which case, following your train of thought re making better use of your cash you'd be better off investing it yourself.

I expect my money to earn 10% overall! Some of it is in a checking account (~2%) for everyday spending, some of it is in savings accounts (~4%) for emergency cash, and some of it is in a variety of investments (???%). Together, I like them to make at least 10%. So if someone wants to borrow $100 off me for a year and then only give me a $100 back at the end, I reckon they've nicked $10 off me.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:03 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Try Bob and Michelle first.

Of course, fatbrit, without the Bobs and Michelles of the US, the IRS would be cash starved and would start insisting on even greater penalties for underwithholding and pre-payment.

Bob and Michelle are doing you a favour.

First rule: let the idiots pay!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:04 am
Thinking about it

I expect my money to earn 10% overall! Some of it is in a checking account (~2%) for everyday spending, some of it is in savings accounts (~4%) for emergency cash, and some of it is in a variety of investments (???%). Together, I like them to make at least 10%. So if someone wants to borrow $100 off me for a year and then only give me a $100 back at the end, I reckon they've nicked $10 off me.
Unless you are investing in property or counting the appreciation in value of your house (if you own one) 10% is a very optimistic expectation imo. Especially given that some of your portfolio will have to be earning well in excess of 10% to balance out the funds you have in checkings/savings accounts.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:05 am
Thinking about it

First rule: let the idiots pay!
Pay what ???

Yet again, I see you are democrat to the core

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.