Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filing Taxes for 2006

Filing Taxes for 2006

Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:48 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

I assumed (insert usual comment here) that Cindy's THAT = PMI.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:53 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I couldn't work it out either! But we don't want Lisa getting confused!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 4:54 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I couldn't work it out either! But we don't want Lisa getting confused!
Agreed.

Yoohoo, Cindy!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone here not pay *any* taxes until the end of the year?

Do you get penalised for that?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Getting confused here! Are we talking PMI or the escrow servicing account for the mortgage?

On a conventional, conforming loan, the PMI can be dropped at 80% LTV. Your lender will probably insist on an appraisal (that you pay for) but you do not have to refinance to do this.
[Note: AmerLisa, the above does not apply to you on an FHA -- the rules are different!]

The escrow servicing account is usually part of the original terms and conditions for the mortgage and usually remain through the life of the loan. You can, of course, always negotiate with the lender. Many lenders will not even give you the option of opting out of an escrow servicing account unless you have very good credit and a large amount of equity in the property.
I think, if I remember correctly, we needed to refinance to drop the PMI. However, I hate to think about doing that, because we do have a good rate, but its not fixed. Anyway, what rules for FHA? Other than probably having to refinance to a convential type loan?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I think, if I remember correctly, we needed to refinance to drop the PMI. However, I hate to think about doing that, because we do have a good rate, but its not fixed. Anyway, what rules for FHA? Other than probably having to refinance to a convential type loan?
If you stay with FHA...

Must run at least 5 years and LTV <= 78%. A reappraisal of the current value is not allowed -- the V of LTV is always the selling price.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

and you were correct, . Note: at least I don't do my Mom's trick of thinking about something and then stating something in regard to it, when the rest of us don't have a clue what she was thinking of to begin with. Broca's brain?
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:56 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting confused here! Are we talking PMI or the escrow servicing account for the mortgage?

On a conventional, conforming loan, the PMI can be dropped at 80% LTV. Your lender will probably insist on an appraisal (that you pay for) but you do not have to refinance to do this.
[Note: AmerLisa, the above does not apply to you on an FHA -- the rules are different!]

The escrow servicing account is usually part of the original terms and conditions for the mortgage and usually remain through the life of the loan. You can, of course, always negotiate with the lender. Many lenders will not even give you the option of opting out of an escrow servicing account unless you have very good credit and a large amount of equity in the property.
I'm very interested by all this FatBrit, because with every comment I read I understand that our mortgage broker did a really excellent job for us. He told us at some point that he hated the idea of escrow accounts, so he had negotiated with the lender to drop the escrow requirement. At the time we had neither excellent credit nor a huge amount of equity (it was an 80/10/10 loan) but sure enough, we have no escrow requirement in our mortgage. As I remember it, the lender charged a fee of around $300 to drop the requirement, but our broker paid for this out of his fee from the lender, so we never saw the cost directly.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Thanks for the implication that I'm lazy and stupid!

Get over it fellas - some of us prefer to get the large refund and have the discipline of (albeit interest free) saving forced upon us.

I pay off my credit card in full each month, I do not use an escrow account for insurance and taxes (I don't like relying on a 3rd party to make timely payments), I do not use loans to my claim my refund immediately, I prepare my own tax return using TurboTax, I pay the maximum into my 401k, and I pay extra principle each month on my mortgage (without using any of those ripoff 3rd party companies).

But I will tell you my refund is approximately $11,000 federal and $3,000 state. Is your jaw back in place now? We get the refund in March, and the next property tax check is not due until November, so we do get a little interest on the refund amount during that time. And we are comfortable with that arrangement, thank you very much.

We have a bunch of equity in our US property (mortgage represents approx 1/5th of value), we have a UK property which is growing in value, but we still pay a mortgage on that too (mortgage balance represents approx 1/3rd of property value) plus insurance, poll tax etc etc.

So, not doing too bad for someone who is lazy and stupid.
If you keep paying off your mortgage you will get less of a refund and property taxes go up- you'll soon have a shortfall in your Uncle Sam escrow account
Of course if you took fatbrits advice, printed off the form and altered box 5- set up an online account with HSBC or ING, set up automatic savings with them so they take the 'extra' money out of your account the day your wage goes in and then ignore it. In march pay your refund into the same account and then come November when your property taxes are due you should have about $28,000 in there (that's at 4.25% interest). Of course you won't have a big refund next march but the money is already in the bank earning interest.
BTW if you can comfortably afford your mortgage- paying it off is dead money, better to invest the amount you pay off each month in an investment vehicle with a higher interest rate than your mortgage rate, then you can pay off a much higher amount of your mortgage when its beneficial- at the moment your mortgage interest is lowering your taxes.
But its up to you, its your money, no skin off my nose.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:18 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Found this site - Taxslayer and wondered if anyone here had heard anything good/bad about them?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Found this site - Taxslayer and wondered if anyone here had heard anything good/bad about them?
I think they'll all provide similar things; I checked the IL tax website, only some companies are approved to eFile:

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Indiv...e/software.htm

Maybe there's a webpage for your state?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:35 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Does anyone here not pay *any* taxes until the end of the year?

Do you get penalised for that?
If you do it one year, it used to be okay, but the second you had to properly withhold or you would be penalised.

If you are self-employed, say, and you owe taxes, you are supposed to send in payments periodically -- used to be quarterly.

From distant memory, when I was a child oh 30 odd years ago, if you didn't make a lot of money, you COULD send in all your taxes at year's end. The IRS has gotten tougher and tougher about forcing everyone to pay-as-we-earn.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you do it one year, it used to be okay, but the second you had to properly withhold or you would be penalised.
I believe that's still the case. The "safe harbour" provision for withholding is 100% of the previous year's tax liability (assuming your income is less than $150k). SO if your tax liability was zero the previous year...

From distant memory, when I was a child oh 30 odd years ago, if you didn't make a lot of money, you COULD send in all your taxes at year's end. The IRS has gotten tougher and tougher about forcing everyone to pay-as-we-earn.
Indeed. Interest, possible penalties, and a possible fine for claiming more withholding allowances than you're reasonably entitled to.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:11 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Found this in the banner ads above the main threads

$25 off at H&R
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:17 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

There's TurboTax and TaxCut. Both will happily work if you have a household income of >$50k/yr.
Possible stupid question but how do you put money earned in pounds in UK, you have to estimate exchange rate and transfer to dollars? I am getting all wound up about this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.