Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filing Taxes for 2006

Filing Taxes for 2006

Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:09 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

Originally Posted by Partystar
I agree. Maybe if we were just an average American couple, but because one of us isn't a USC, I feel something could easily go wrong, so I'd better not take the chance.
So lovely to have two governmental departments that scare the shit out of their own citizens.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I've used the same tax accountant for 26 years now (through 2 husbands with very different tax situations, ), his fees have steadily gone up of course but one thing is that I can pay an optional additional fee (less than 100 bucks) IF I should get audited by the IRS rather than pay him an hourly rate to handle it, it is covered by this optional fee-kind of like insurance. One of the things I like is that he sends out a yearly newsletter with tax updates and information. He sends me a fill in the blank work book categorywise for my taxes which has taught me what I need and what to be on the lookout for for deductions.
Do the IRS do random audits or is it only those they they are suspicious about?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:16 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
So lovely to have two governmental departments that scare the shit out of their own citizens.
Yeah, really.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I used H&R Block last year and was pretty pleased - but a bit miffed that they do it on their own proprietary software (so you can't get an electronic copy).

I've used Turbo tax prior to that and one of the best things is that it "remembers" you and uploads information from prior tax years. If I go back to Turbo Tax this year I'll have to read through my H&RB return to enter relevant information.

As I'm (hopefully) leaving in the summer, I'll probably go with H&RB again, and have them do this year's taxes in my absence this time next year.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Agree.......it's the low income families that really get stung by this. The IRS run a annual program called VITA, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. I volunteered for them for a couple of years. Trained volunteers set up in libraries etc around the country and complete and file the taxes on-line for free for low income people and families. It's to try and encourage them not to get RAL's. The interest rates of these "loans" are so high It's heart breaking to see a family due a refund of say $500, getting stuck with a $130 fee for getting their refund quicker.

Not unlike the "deal" getting money by pawning the title to your car.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:12 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah I forgot about that one.......not that I know many low income people who own the title to their car......... sometimes the car payments are more than their rent.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Not unlike the "deal" getting money by pawning the title to your car.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shahlax
How much did you pay? Do they do state tax returns as well?
It was about $120 - but worth it. If they screw up I don't have to pay the IRS ... they do!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Do the IRS do random audits or is it only those they they are suspicious about?
I don't think they do random audits anymore. I think its just the suspicious ones. But, I could be wrong.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Does anyone do their own tax returns?! We did ours last year and it was fine. This year we moved states halfway through the year, and both of us changed jobs. I might get help with my filing too.

I've always used TurboTax- its easy and quick to use. this year they're throwing in the It's Deductible software too (to calculate the value of any goods you donate to Goodwill etc). I try not to get a refund by altering our withholdings to get more each month (why give Uncle Sam an interest free loan), but we still end up get something back and e-filing with Turbotax gets it back in 9 days if you get it direct deposited. I take out Audit Defense insurance offered by Turbo Tax for a small fee ($25 last year I think), just in case we get audited.

TurboTax auto-checks your returns for anything that might red flag an Audit, also checks for errors and for any more possible deductions you might be able to claim.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

I've been under the impression that the aim of tax return to do the figures and get "nil". Getting a refund is certainly not the aim of the exercise because it shows you've been paying too much during the year. i.e. money that would be better off in your pocket and not in the government's (until you get your refund)...
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
I've been under the impression that the aim of tax return to do the figures and get "nil". Getting a refund is certainly not the aim of the exercise because it shows you've been paying too much during the year. i.e. money that would be better off in your pocket and not in the government's (until you get your refund)...
The real aim is to pay the maximum possible before they fine you. Then you've been borrowing the govt's money @ 0% interest rather than the other way round.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the argument about not giving the government an interest free loan, but for peace of mind I do it anyway. I report only 1 allowance on my W4 plus I register as single (even though I'm married). All this means I pay more tax than I need to from each paycheck.

But I get a nice fat refund at the end of the year. The refund covers my house tax for the next year (I don't use an escrow account - far too much hassle) and covers the flights for our annual trip back to the UK. And more importantly for me, I always know I'm not going to owe the IRS any money at the end of the year, and that is priceless.

I've used TurboTax Premier for a number of years now, and I'm very happy with it. Like others have said, you can take out the optional insurance to get represented by a CPA if you get audited (which I've never taken, and never been audited). Much prefer this combination of services to H&R Block's poor excuse. I did use H&R Block in my first year simply because I was new to the game and didn't understand the whole tax thing. But after you've experienced it once, TurboTax (or the software package of your choice) is the way to go in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Taffyles
I've always used TurboTax- its easy and quick to use. this year they're throwing in the It's Deductible software too (to calculate the value of any goods you donate to Goodwill etc). I try not to get a refund by altering our withholdings to get more each month (why give Uncle Sam an interest free loan), but we still end up get something back and e-filing with Turbotax gets it back in 9 days if you get it direct deposited. I take out Audit Defense insurance offered by Turbo Tax for a small fee ($25 last year I think), just in case we get audited.

TurboTax auto-checks your returns for anything that might red flag an Audit, also checks for errors and for any more possible deductions you might be able to claim.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The real aim is to pay the maximum possible before they fine you. Then you've been borrowing the govt's money @ 0% interest rather than the other way round.

You mean dont pay withholding until the final bill is due? I thought that they charged penalties for that? Sorry - I dont really know as i am lucky enought to get all that sorted! Quite glad as it seems like a mine field!!!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:03 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The insurance is fine. If you read the old threads, someone got an excellent deal with this and a complicated tax problems....
That would be me. I used H&R Block Premium the first year I was here (with a very complex return for me and my wife, split between UK and US income). It was a fiasco, but cost me nothing in the end:

What happened was that the Senior Tax Agent I had gave excellent service, seemed to know everything she needed to know to maximise my refund... and neglected to tell me that she had never dealt with anyone in my position before.

The result was a first attempt at my return which would have cost me around $5000 in lost refund and would have been completely incorrect in almost every detail.

I had learned enough (luckily) from the IRS website about my tax status to know this was incorrect, and over the following weeks I rejected her next two drafts of my return until she produced one I was happy with.

The H&R Block approach still had its advantages. They promise that they'll get your return right or it's free... so mine was free. They sign the return and promise to defend it in front of the IRS if it's questioned, which is the main thing I wanted.

The downside - three weeks to prepare the return, endless hassle for me, an initial incorrect return which I would have submitted had I not known about my own tax situation, and a service which would have cost over $750 if I had had to pay for it.

A sucker for punishment, I went back again the next year because we had sold our home in the UK and were deducting various mortgage early repayment penalties, mortgage interest etc. from our US tax. This time H&R Block Premium got it right (it matched my calculations at least) and it cost me $150.

This year, with no complications in my tax status, I'll use TurboTax. I've learned enough about US tax to feel confident doing my own return, but only because I've had to double-check H&R Block twice!

On the strength of this I'd advise anyone filing their first US tax return to either find a VERY good CPA who is prepared to guarantee that they know about Foreign Tax Status (I found two in my area on Google).

Alternatively, Global Tax Network was recommended by someone on this board, and they seem great. They'll interview you over the phone, then you fill in a detailed interview online and they'll prepare your tax return. They're also pretty reasonably priced - my complex first year return would have cost around $175, but I didn't feel confident working with a CPA purely on the phone and online. I should have done, as it would have been far less trouble than H&R Block.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think that anyone that gets a huge refund that is not due to a mortgage interest allowance or other similar reason really needs to look at their financial planning., and fire their tax people.

my wife for the first two years we were together used to bitch at me - ooooh 'bob and michelle got $3000 back on their refund' blah blah blah, why aren't we getting that?

it took a while to convice her that bob and michelle were retarded in letting the IRS have their money for most of the year - interest-free

now, she realises that small refunds are good and big refunds mean that someone else has had you money for free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.