Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:55 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

Here's another one.

Filed our I-130 in March 2003, I came over on a K-3 visa 2 years ago. I-130 was transferred from Texas to Nebraska to Newark to speed up processing.

Filed for AOS, moved from NC to Ma and was told to make an infopass appointment to ensure the change of address happened. Did that in January this year and was basically told to go away, everything had already been transferred to Boston.

Had my AOS interview about a month ago and couldn't be approved as the I-130 was still in Newark. Was told they would order it straight away and have heard nothing since, the on-line status hasn't even changed on it. Will now porbably have to go back to Boston, wait for another 3 hours to hear more bullshit.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 7:56 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I am constantly amazed at the sheer incompetance that you daily run across. Particularly in major organisations.
NOt just him - me too!!! and a friend of mine who just moved to boston...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:11 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
NOt just him - me too!!! and a friend of mine who just moved to boston...
Actually the "you" was a general "you" as in everyone me included. We have just spent 4 hours trying to coerce our health insurance company into managing to send us a bill for how much we owe for some minor treatment 2 months ago and they are singularly unable to do this. Dont ask me why. So we shall get a nasty letter from the hospital demanding payment for a bill the insurance company cant issue to us due to incompetence. And the hospital will probably get cross and threaten legal action even though we try to explan we cant pay it since we have no idea how much it is until the insurance company issue the bill. Which they cant. Will the insurance co and hospital talk to each other to sort this out? No of course not because that would be the competent solution. Instead they will both get nasty with us and demand we do something even though we cant until they do their something. And so it will go on. Meanwhile my UK bank manages to carry out requests and transactions I ask of them quickly and efficiently even though I am not resident there. And Americans complain about UK customer service. Ho Hum.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
So we shall get a nasty letter from the hospital demanding payment for a bill the insurance company cant issue to us due to incompetence. And the hospital will probably get cross and threaten legal action even though we try to explan we cant pay it since we have no idea how much it is until the insurance company issue the bill.
Watch your credit report closely...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:23 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Watch your credit report closely...
Oh we are, we are.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

It took 33 months to get my AOS. As we know it is then 3 years- 90 days before you can apply for Naturalisation(Nov12-2007) and at the moment the waiting time for that interview is running at is 2 years & $350. Probably the short cut is change my name to Miguel Sanchez. I might get there quicker and cheaper. Very very frustrating.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:41 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by tony126
It took 33 months to get my AOS. As we know it is then 3 years- 90 days before you can apply for Naturalisation(Nov12-2007) and at the moment the waiting time for that interview is running at is 2 years & $350. Probably the short cut is change my name to Miguel Sanchez. I might get there quicker and cheaper. Very very frustrating.
2.5 years to process our GC's while we were sat in the UK waiting. Not bad considering the huge shortage of nurses.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:46 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Probably the short cut is change my name to Miguel Sanchez. I might get there quicker and cheaper
Depends. Do you have any experience in the fast-food industry?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel...I still don't have my *****ing greencard...still waiting on the name check...which was in the works last Jan...had AOS interview last march...hmmmm....
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I (did) have my adjustment interview scheduled for first thing tomorrow in Memphrica.

Just had a call from that office saying they were closing today because the 'air-conditioning had broken down and people were passing out' This smacks of the 'leaves on the line' british rail joke. Its f#cking summer in memphis, get some fans and portable A/C units for crying out loud.

They gave me 3 alternate dates. 2 of which I am out of state on non-cancellable events ( in weddings etc)

the date 'you have to accept' is the morning after the afternoon I fly back from chicago. so basically I get off the plane in nashville, toddle home, then get in the car to drive 200 miles. if i didn't take this date then it would be a appointment next year.

whats also pissed me off is that I had to have a bunch of immuisations for the appointment at a time when my health is less than ideal.

ALSO, I was treated like an ignorant uneducated person despite the fact I am postive I contribute far more to the american and tennessee economy in terms of taxes that the immigration officer in question does.
Well that really sucks!

I can't believe that if you turn down all three suggested appointments you'll end up with an appointment next year though...

I'm doing the N-400 and I think my office is slower than a snail's corpse, compared to other offices...

NC Penguin
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't understand why anybody think a dept of the US civil service is any worse that Civil servants in the UK... I can think of hundred of UK cases that are even worse... people have even tried to commit suicide outside Lunar house in Croydon (UK Immigration )
Roll with punches... its all you can do ... it all gets there in the end ..
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray
I really don't understand why anybody think a dept of the US civil service is any worse that Civil servants in the UK... I can think of hundred of UK cases that are even worse... people have even tried to commit suicide outside Lunar house in Croydon (UK Immigration )
Roll with punches... its all you can do ... it all gets there in the end ..
Because if you want to take your wife / husband to the UK, approval is 7 days, and if all is in order it can be done as quickly as the same day.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I really don't understand why anybody think a dept of the US civil service is any worse that Civil servants in the UK...
Simple: USC and UKC marry in Spain.
If they want to live in the UK, paperwork takes a week or so for them both to go. If something goes wrong, there are many working channels to get things moving.
If they want to live in the US, paperwork takes 6 months minimum for them both to go. If something goes wrong, it's your freakin problem.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If they want to live in the US, paperwork takes 6 months minimum for them both to go. If something goes wrong, it's your freakin problem.
It's easier to immigrate to the UK vs the US no matter what category you fall into. This is due to the law and not just the bureaucrats processing applications.

I agree that the USCIS process is hell. I wish it weren't that way. Even with a perfectly functional processing system, there are so many hurdles that it would be a frustration.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:01 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It's easier to immigrate to the UK vs the US no matter what category you fall into. This is due to the law and not just the bureaucrats processing applications.

I agree that the USCIS process is hell. I wish it weren't that way. Even with a perfectly functional processing system, there are so many hurdles that it would be a frustration.
Agreed about the law being more complicated but I fail to see why any process at USCIS should take more than 30 days, I'm afraid. When I broached this in Marriage, it was poo-pooed! If they can't discover that you're a terrorist/criminal/Nazi party member/child molester/bigamist/whatever in 30 days, they ain't going to discover it in a year or two! They sit on stuff for ever and there is absolutely no accountability. Would be sad for a banana republic; for the so-called superpower it's just another sign that the sun is setting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.