Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:30 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FFS! Very annoyed at USCIS

My experience with USCIS is up and down. Getting an EAD took for ever and meant absolutely nothing.

The AOS was easier and everything came quick in the mail once approved.

But, you always have to be prepared for a screw up and the decimation of a forest to handle all of the paper work.

When we went to the AOS, we are given a list of all the documents we needed to take which was everything they got when we first applied.

When we got there, the agent said we didn't need to bring everything and it says that on the form. She took that back when I showed her the appointment letter which stated "You MUST bring the following items."

USCIS lacks organisation. It needs an overhaul of procedures, especially when it comes to prices on the forms. How many of us have been caught out when a form quotes a fee, but it has changed and is more???
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm left wondering...
There are many apologists over there. Just look at any post with the title along the lines of "eff uscis" and you'll see them all gathered below. I do not usually number you among them.

Action is simple: protest! There are a couple of attorneys over there with voices higher than us mere mortals. Also, encourage posters who have had a raw deal to write their representatives, the ombudsman, the media, etcetera. And, above all, sympathize with their plight.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:10 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There are many apologists over there. Just look at any post with the title along the lines of "eff uscis" and you'll see them all gathered below. I do not usually number you among them.

Action is simple: protest! There are a couple of attorneys over there with voices higher than us mere mortals. Also, encourage posters who have had a raw deal to write their representatives, the ombudsman, the media, etcetera. And, above all, sympathize with their plight.
You sound a bit cheesed with life in the US of A at the moment

Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
You sound a bit cheesed with life in the US of A at the moment

Life's fine! And I don't mind living here.

But when folks tell me there's nothing wrong with US bureaucracy or carry on with their post-9/11 paranoid crap, I just want to knock their heads against the wall. If they can't work out there's a big, big problem, the future does not bode well.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But when folks tell me there's nothing wrong with US bureaucracy or carry on with their post-9/11 paranoid crap, I just want to knock their heads against the wall. If they can't work out there's a big, big problem, the future does not bode well.
<sigh> Well I'm starting to wonder about living here. I feel so distanced from my lawmakers.. right down to the idiot new mayor we just hired in my town and his idiot City Hall cronies (hello? 5 shootings in 4 weeks? 2 deaths? In Hippyville USA?). I had such high hopes...
The problems are HUGE. I think most of us involved with immigration see that, but it is absolutely overwhelming.

Did you see MrF's report on the Ombudsman meeting? The guy flat says 'I'm not here to help with individual problems'. *That* was enough for a FFS! out of me.
And, respect for MrF aside, he, like the other lawyers there, have made their trade in deciphering the system. I'm not saying that they are not altruistic or they don't enjoy helping others, but it's a business. They really don't have an interest in making the system any easier. Hell, one of the infrequent lawyer-visitors to US Immigration posted the other day (as other attorneys have) that *any* immigration question should only be answered by an attorney. They have NO interest in keeping any of this in the people's hands.

As for the other alleged apologists, I think contrarians is more correct. There are some who've made a sport out of mocking everyone, as opposed to just the really stoopid people who blow through.
Surely you can appreciate that?

hmm. Guess I had a vent in me today afterall. Thanks for the indulgence.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:04 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by meauxna
<sigh>...
You have to stay and fight, I'm afraid! If all the good people leave, then there really is no hope.

On the ombudsman issue, I posted the following snip from the Ombudsman's own organization to that thread: "The statutory mission of the Ombudsman is to – Assist individuals and employers in resolving problems with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);" Nobody has replied, Folinsky included. I believe it's simply not what they want to hear.

More amusing is another very helpful and knowledgeable regular contributor who obviously works within the system. When a poster states they have contacted their congressional representative to try to expedite the matter, he scolds them for causing extra problems and delays for USCIS. Un-freakin'-believable! Or rather the fact that only I question him and the rest nod their heads in assent is the un-freakin'-believable part of the distorted world down their.

Thanks for letting me rant...

Last edited by fatbrit; Aug 12th 2005 at 5:03 am.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

More amusing is another very helpful and knowledgeable regular contributor who obviously works within the system. When a poster states they have contacted their congressional representative to try to expedite the matter, he scolds them for causing extra problems and delays for USCIS. Un-freakin'-believable! Or rather the fact that only I question him and the rest nod their heads in assent is the un-freakin'-believable part of the distorted world down their.

Thanks for letting me rant...
Who is that?

My favourite are those who tell people already here that where they have the choice they should go back and do a K or CR rather than adjust here. Because it is the right thing to do...

Duh
Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:12 am
ImHere

Seems reasonable. But its a bloody big machine and the inertia built into it means that any change is only going to happen so slowly as to take generations rather that mere years. And if that'll frustrate the pants off most people to the point of giving in. It took us 2.5 years to get processed for our GC's during which time we sat around in England contemplating our navels and seriously considering jacking it in and buggering back to Europe. I cant even begin to contemplate what sheer energy, will and resources would be needed to budge such a monstrous system towards change.

Last edited by ImHere; Aug 12th 2005 at 4:16 am.

Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:39 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by ImHere
Seems reasonable. But its a bloody big machine and the inertia built into it means that any change is only going to happen so slowly as to take generations rather that mere years. And if that'll frustrate the pants off most people to the point of giving in. It took us 2.5 years to get processed for our GC's during which time we sat around in England contemplating our navels and seriously considering jacking it in and buggering back to Europe. I cant even begin to contemplate what sheer energy, will and resources would be needed to budge such a monstrous system towards change.

Change can only even start after the problem is acknowledged! And I'm afraid it (with most of the rest of the country) is still in denial.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:00 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Boiler
Who is that?
The gentleman I had in mind was crg14624. Nice, helpful guy, but too full of the system he presumably works in for an objective view.

My favourite are those who tell people already here that where they have the choice they should go back and do a K or CR rather than adjust here. Because it is the right thing to do...Duh
This one amuses me, too. Once tried to suggest to the power that be that they might look for a suitable solution to what they refer to the barge pole question (like the Pulaski's Ways solution) rather than making idiots of themselves. After a half-dozen PMs, came to the conclusion that they really had no interest in finding a solution and would rather play their silly games. Glad to see you occasionally go in there with some reality for them.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:27 am
Account Closed

The gentleman I had in mind was crg14624. Nice, helpful guy, but too full of the system he presumably works in for an objective view.

This one amuses me, too. Once tried to suggest to the power that be that they might look for a suitable solution to what they refer to the barge pole question (like the Pulaski's Ways solution) rather than making idiots of themselves. After a half-dozen PMs, came to the conclusion that they really had no interest in finding a solution and would rather play their silly games. Glad to see you occasionally go in there with some reality for them.
I thought he might be a legal assistant/trainee type, not a full blown Attorney, rather than USCIS, but he has never said, or implied. He certainly knows and has access to the regs. Now I want to know!

My Wife was asked by an Immigration Attorny why we did not do the 10ft route, I had too many loose ends to tie up, but it is a legal option so why the problem. USCIS do not seem that bothered, only it seems some people on this and other boards.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:48 am
Septicity

I thought he might be a legal assistant/trainee type, not a full blown Attorney, rather than USCIS, but he has never said, or implied. He certainly knows and has access to the regs. Now I want to know!
I assumed he was a POE officer or similar. But you're right -- don't think he's ever said!

My Wife was asked by an Immigration Attorny why we did not do the 10ft route, I had too many loose ends to tie up, but it is a legal option so why the problem. USCIS do not seem that bothered, only it seems some people on this and other boards.
Was told other boards had been closed after attorneys had thrown hissy fits over it. But all it requires is some careful wording round the problem to make it safe. The problem is there's no will rather than there's no way.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:58 am
Account Closed

I assumed he was a POE officer or similar. But you're right -- don't think he's ever said!

Was told other boards had been closed after attorneys had thrown hissy fits over it. But all it requires is some careful wording round the problem to make it safe. The problem is there's no will rather than there's no way.
They all do it in the privacy of a consultation.

How about:

VWP and Visitors Visa

You can not enter the US on a VWP or a Visitors Visa with the intent to stay and adjust your status to permanent residency through marriage.

If you entered the US without this intent, but your situation changes you can stay and adjust your status to permanent residency.

If all these TV Medical adverts can get their qualifications in a few seconds, I am sure this issue can be dealt with.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:08 am
Septicity

They all do it in the privacy of a consultation.

How about:

VWP and Visitors Visa

You can not enter the US on a VWP or a Visitors Visa with the intent to stay and adjust your status to permanent residency through marriage.

If you entered the US without this intent, but your situation changes you can stay and adjust your status to permanent residency.

If all these TV Medical adverts can get their qualifications in a few seconds, I am sure this issue can be dealt with.
That'd work in my book!

Was suggesting they did a very short and simple "Ways to live with your fiancee/spouse in the USA" list for marriage and include the barge pole one since it's a perfectly valid method described on the USCIS website. You'd also include all the other known methods. Then, when folks asked, "How do I spend the rest of my life with luscious Lizzy, my only true love, in the Land o' the Free?" you can point 'em to the list and ask 'em which one they're taking.

The other reason for doing the full list is it's not written clearly and plainly in less than 500 words anywhere else and you see new posters getting very confused by it all. I've seen the visajouney one, but I think they need a summary one of all the methods in one single file.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:50 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I would like to join the 'why are the USCIS so inefficient' rant. For starters, I came here on a K1 in Oct 2003, and currently waiting for AOS. Meanwhile, it's the usual scenario of renewal of EAD and AP until then.

For a little background on relevant factors in my situation, see here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...81#post2440581 - basically, my ex in the UK (my kids' dad) has terminal cancer, and both girls are there with him right now. One lives with him, the other with me but has been visiting for over two months (thank heaven she had her AP, although she could have got emergency AP) I wanted to go over to support my daughters, who are taking care of their dad and going through the emotional turmoil of facing the death of their dad, while still only teenagers.

I had applied for a new AP in February. My old one had just expired, but I wasn't planning on travelling till June. Ho hum. I'm still waiting, despite the fact that online they are 'working on applications with NOA date June 12'. Once that date had gone beyond the date on my NOA (March 11), I called them. This takes 25 minutes before you actually speak to a real person. I was told that it does appear that my case (for AP) should have been processed, they would look into it and contact me. If I didn't hear anything for 30 days, I should call again.

Get the picture? I didn't hear anything, I called again, I was told if I didn't hear anything in 30 days.......

My youngest daughter (age 15) is returning here next week to go back to school, leaving her sister to cope alone over there. Our situation is difficult enough without USCIS making it worse.

By the way, people's views on the lengthy immigration process has varied from outrage - "But you're married to an American citizen! Why is it taking so long??" to "Well, it's completely understandable really. We don't want just anyone becoming a citizen, not after 9/11."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.