Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Originally Posted by audio
We are taking our cat and dog to Florida in 6 weeks.
Both are inoculated against rabies which as far as I am aware is mandatory in all states.
Yes there are problems with heartworm, gators, snakes etc. be aware of ticks, they are rife where I stay. Frontline seems to work well but check your animals regularly for them.
My vet told me to use Advocate for heartworm and a lots of other nasty things, it’s applied the same as Frontline but I don’t think it is available in the US.
Coyotes will kill snakes but like gators they can’t climb trees.
As for $20 or so for a cat license, ridiculous!
My best advice is to talk to your vet before you leave.
For the actual entry requirements, I talked directly to the customs livestock department at the port of entry.
Good luck.
If you're living in a different state to the one at the POE you should also check with the state. As with many other things rules and regs differ from state to state.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
That's what Americans say about our TV licence
Must be very specific to her town in Florida. Before this thread, the only time I'd ever heard of a cat license was on Monty Python.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Well, how much is it in Fl for example?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Well, how much is it in Fl for example?
Umm...to my knowledge nowhere in the US has a TV licence...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

AlienUK
Umm...to my knowledge nowhere in the US has a TV licence...
So why say:

Jerseygirl
If you're living in a different state to the one at the POE you should also check with the state. As with many other things rules and regs differ from state to state.
Please read post 16. I and the OP are both talking about Florida.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to think that the OP's chances of survival if the cat figures out what is happening are pretty low ...
Old Sep 18th 2010, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

We are taking our cat and dog to Florida in 6 weeks.
Both are inoculated against rabies which as far as I am aware is mandatory in all states.
Yes there are problems with heartworm, gators, snakes etc. be aware of ticks, they are rife where I stay. Frontline seems to work well but check your animals regularly for them.
My vet told me to use Advocate for heartworm and a lots of other nasty things, it’s applied the same as Frontline but I don’t think it is available in the US.
Coyotes will kill snakes but like gators they can’t climb trees.
As for $20 or so for a cat license, ridiculous!
My best advice is to talk to your vet before you leave.
For the actual entry requirements, I talked directly to the customs livestock department at the port of entry.
Good luck.
$20 for a cat licence is riduclous....its just another way for the city or county to get money out of you! This is where I got my information:

http://www.pinellascounty.org/animal...s/licenses.htm

It is important to get a cat licence and check the legislation of the city/county you reside in. When we lived in Virginia we got a complaint from the neighbour about our cat being outdoors (he killed a bird and she witnessed it). She reported our cat to animal control and insisted that it be kept indoors. Animal control contacted us and said that because we had a valid cat licence there was nothing she could do. The cat was vaccinated and legal to be outdoors. Thank goodness as there was no way we could keep the cat indoors..he is too used to being an outdoor kitty.

With regards to the licence...its better safe than sorry!

I'm going on Monday to my UK vet to start the process at this end. I'll post my experience when i'm done!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976
$20 for a cat licence is riduclous....its just another way for the city or county to get money out of you! This is where I got my information:

http://www.pinellascounty.org/animal...s/licenses.htm

It is important to get a cat licence and check the legislation of the city/county you reside in. When we lived in Virginia we got a complaint from the neighbour about our cat being outdoors (he killed a bird and she witnessed it). She reported our cat to animal control and insisted that it be kept indoors. Animal control contacted us and said that because we had a valid cat licence there was nothing she could do. The cat was vaccinated and legal to be outdoors. Thank goodness as there was no way we could keep the cat indoors..he is too used to being an outdoor kitty.

With regards to the licence...its better safe than sorry!

I'm going on Monday to my UK vet to start the process at this end. I'll post my experience when i'm done!
Thanks for the information. I didn’t doubt the contents of your post but the US must be the only country in the world requiring a license for a cat. I am a bit further north in Putnam County, perhaps they have the same rules. I will check it out. I will also enquire if they need a license for my goldfish at the same time.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

I flew my cat to the usa with me last year.

process you need to go thru a few months before flying is to get you cat a rabies shot - he will NOT be allowed to fly without one.

after the rabies shot (a few weeks) your cat will have a blood test, when the results from that come back (3-4 weeks) you will get a rabies certificate, if possible get a pet passport too, so if need be you can return him to the uk without too much hassle.

24-48 hours before you fly you need to have your cat checked by your vet and a letter from the vet saying your cat is "fit to fly"

you'll need to present these at the airport.

to book your cats flight call your choosen airline well in advance and find out what their travel term & conditions are. if you fly with United you can have your cat as "carry-on" luggage and he gts to be in the cabin with you (this is what i did) again call the airline once your ticket is booked to arrange this.

once in america it is VERY important to keep your pets rabies shots upto date, and the feline lukemia/flu shot is another good one. equally dangerous in america is heartworm.

If your going to let kitty outdoors, even in a netted area, these are a must or your kitty might not live long! otherwise keep him indoors (my cat was outdoors now in the usa is indoors). he would probably be ok indoors. my cat settled ok.

good luck!
Old Sep 19th 2010, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Hehehehee!! Love it!!

Thanks for the great advice all!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

AlienUK

So why say:

Jerseygirl

Please read post 16. I and the OP are both talking about Florida.
I said that because you said $20 was ridiculous - probably because the UK doesn't have a pet licence. Americans think our TV licence is outrageous because they don't have one. Got it?

Sigh.....
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84
Hehehehee!! Love it!!

Thanks for the great advice all!
Whew, thought I was going to have to explain again for a sec!