Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just passed my Driving test

Just passed my Driving test

Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Just passed my Driving test

Took the test in Norwalk CT. Well.... it was VERY easy. One left, two rights, straight back into the DMV centre and into a parking spot - no reverse parking or manouvers of any description whatsoever. If I said I was driving for 5 minutes that would probably be overstating it.

Is it normally that simple?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just passed my Driving test

Originally Posted by EricK
Took the test in Norwalk CT. Well.... it was VERY easy. One left, two rights, straight back into the DMV centre and into a parking spot - no reverse parking or manouvers of any description whatsoever. If I said I was driving for 5 minutes that would probably be overstating it.

Yes, from sea to shining sea.

And as a reward, you should look at the thread about how horrible American drivers are....
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Driver's licenses are issued by the individual states. So your question should be -- is it always that easy in Connecticut.

However, I will admit that my experience has always been first time drivers taking their first test. I can envision an examination of an experienced previously licensed driver -- it may take only five minutes to observe that they know what they are doing.

I really don't know. But perhaps it might be an unfair comparison between the two test.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and don't forget to inform your local radio station so they can announce to other drivers to get off the road!All the best and may you have many happy years of driving!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
However, I will admit that my experience has always been first time drivers taking their first test. I can envision an examination of an experienced previously licensed driver -- it may take only five minutes to observe that they know what they are doing.
Yes that was my thinking - he asked how long I had been driving in the UK, I advised 20 years so maybe that is the reason for the simple / short test?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

Same as me DMV is in a parking lot, she drove me a sqaure block on the road outside the dmv, then ask me to park outside lol, so much easier than uk test
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that was my thinking - he asked how long I had been driving in the UK, I advised 20 years so maybe that is the reason for the simple / short test?
When I was a kid getting my license at 16, they almost almost always failed teenagers on the first test. It was about the same test as they give adults (very easy) but take off points if you don't look over your shoulder (only use the mirror) when changing lanes or backing up, change lanes when a car is in the same block, don't signal quick enough prior to a corner, and other little things like that.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the one I took here in CA. she asked if I had a license anywhere else when I said yes she had me do a three point turn, back through the lights and into the DMV, all done
Congratulations
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Dreamingaloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I Eric, I am also moving to Stamford CT shortly (either early May or June depending on work) on an L1 visa. Did you do anything in the UK before organising this? Any advice you can offer would be great.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

In Springfield, MA: The eight people who all had 10am driving tests were lined up together in the lot at the DMV all waiting for the same examiner to take them on the practically deserted road around an adjacent block of flats. By 10.40am he had finished all of them and had gone inside for a coffee to await the 11am crowd.

That, I believe, answers your question from a MA perspective.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I did mine in FL. 10 minutes round the block etc BUT I failed it LOL She didn't like the "California stop" (rolling stop) so back I went the next day and retook it. No problems second time around. Of course this was back in 1997 when all you had to do was show up with 2 forms of photo ID and off you went. None of that document/immigration status checking like today. Oh happy days!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Fiona Siobhan is an unknown quantity at this point

I took my US driving test a week after moving here in 1988.
I was a little nervous. Got into the car. The woman said

"Turn right, have you ever seen Princess Di?"
No, I said, turning right
"Turn left, have you ever seen Fergie? (Duchess of York)"
"Yes" I said, "I shook her hand once (Turning left) "
"That's so wonderful! You've passed your test"

I couldn't help but reflect on my grueling British test of 10 years previously, over an hour, 4 big roundabouts, and a lecture on safe parking.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona Siobhan
I couldn't help but reflect on my grueling British test of 10 years previously, over an hour, 4 big roundabouts, and a lecture on safe parking.
Same here. Not quite such a big lecture after my UK test but it's just so anal compared to here. I believe it's worse now. In 1992 I did an HGV license in UK and that was much easier than the car test probably because others tend to get out of the way when you drive a truck (sorry "lorry")
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Tannedsilk is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here, never left the DMV parking lot.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:51 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes, from sea to shining sea.

And as a reward, you should look at the thread about how horrible American drivers are....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.