Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice
Question Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Hi all,

On the face of things a bizzare question, but I'm sure one thats been asked in one variation or another many times!

A move to Florida is looking more and more likely and I was sat on the couch early and caught a glance off the cat when I suddenly thought.....ah!

My wife would be distraught if we could not bring our charming little tabby with us and so I'm aiming to understand not only the process for pet emirgration (my aunt took her dog to florida in the 90's but cats are obviously different).

In addition I'd like to think of his wellbeing as well as it's a huge change of surroundings with the heat, the sheer expanse and of course gators and snakes!

Any advice?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feline Emirgration to FL,USA and chances of survival!

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84
Hi all,

On the face of things a bizzare question, but I'm sure one thats been asked in one variation or another many times!

A move to Florida is looking more and more likely and I was sat on the couch early and caught a glance off the cat when I suddenly thought.....ah!

My wife would be distraught if we could not bring our charming little tabby with us and so I'm aiming to understand not only the process for pet emirgration (my aunt took her dog to florida in the 90's but cats are obviously different).

In addition I'd like to think of his wellbeing as well as it's a huge change of surroundings with the heat, the sheer expanse and of course gators and snakes!

Any advice?
Buy him a litter box and make him an indoor cat, or it'd be a lot of expense to feed the gators
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...avel/index.htm this has some info on travel with pets.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Buy him a litter box and make him an indoor cat, or it'd be a lot of expense to feed the gators
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...avel/index.htm this has some info on travel with pets.
Hmmmm...It might not be fair to the little guy to make him a house cat, he's a bit of an adventurer and we live in the countryside in the UK so he is often out and about at night...

It may be that he stays in the UK with relatives if the risks outway the pro's of bringing him along...

Is there anyone in FL that have any experiences to share?

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm...It might not be fair to the little guy to make him a house cat, he's a bit of an adventurer and we live in the countryside in the UK so he is often out and about at night...

It may be that he stays in the UK with relatives if the risks outway the pro's of bringing him along...

Is there anyone in FL that have any experiences to share?

Thanks
He won't be an adventurer for long if you let him roam around...especially at night.

You never see cats wondering around here like you do in the UK...people mostly keep their cats indoors.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:37 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

If you do bring him to Florida try your best to make the move in cooler months, so he doesn't have too much heat distress during his travels.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Any advice?
I'm bringing my cat to Florida (he is a USA kitty...we brought him over to the UK a year ago). He is an outdoor cat and in the USA we tend to keep him indoors during the day and let him out at night when it is cooler. The area we are moving to in Florida (where my husbands mother is ) does have outdoor cats(although it is quite urban)...some people even let them out during the day which I wouldn't do but I have to agree with previous posters...most americans don't let their cats out and some even have real problems with it. Just make sure where-ever you move you get a cat licence and follow all the local regulations (i.e. some cities/towns make you get rabies shots etc). It will be fine! Just watch out for gators!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976
I'm bringing my cat to Florida (he is a USA kitty...we brought him over to the UK a year ago). He is an outdoor cat and in the USA we tend to keep him indoors during the day and let him out at night when it is cooler. The area we are moving to in Florida (where my husbands mother is ) does have outdoor cats(although it is quite urban)...some people even let them out during the day which I wouldn't do but I have to agree with previous posters...most americans don't let their cats out and some even have real problems with it. Just make sure where-ever you move you get a cat licence and follow all the local regulations (i.e. some cities/towns make you get rabies shots etc). It will be fine! Just watch out for gators!
Cat licence?! Rabies shots...my eyes are being opened to the some of the ridiculous ways the US lawmakers make their $$$....sounds similar to speed cameras on every corner in the UK...KA-CHING £££!! Hehehehe!

On a serious note though I imagine such licences are not hugely expensive...although the jabs i can imagine might be?

If we can find the type of house we want (rental or otherwise) it would be desirable to have a reasonable area netted in which with a few plants and 'fun cat things' would serve well as 'outdoors' really...compromise is easy to find if you're looking for it! LOL!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cat licence?! Rabies shots...my eyes are being opened to the some of the ridiculous ways the US lawmakers make their $$$....sounds similar to speed cameras on every corner in the UK...KA-CHING £££!! Hehehehe!

On a serious note though I imagine such licences are not hugely expensive...although the jabs i can imagine might be?

If we can find the type of house we want (rental or otherwise) it would be desirable to have a reasonable area netted in which with a few plants and 'fun cat things' would serve well as 'outdoors' really...compromise is easy to find if you're looking for it! LOL!
Why do you think rabies shots ridiculous?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly Rabies is abound here. One wrong run in with a coon or other such animal with it and your cat could become infected, then next time it scratches you, you are infected and going through a nasty treatment. Give me a Rabies shot any day over those possibilities. The state has to enforce it or all the 'tards out there would not bother and human infections would sky rocket.

As mentioned before, if you bring your cat try to do so over winter, and by that I mean Jan to March as that is the only time it MIGHT be cool enough for your cat to survive if the baggage handlers forget it somewhere for a few hours (many airlines will not transport animals in the summer at all due to the risk).

Also, as mentioned, you would really need to make him/her an indoor cat. Gators are just one of a whole plethora of nasties that will eat, sting, bite or otherwise injure your animal. Look at where you are moving too. Is it urban? While I would have no problem having an outdoor cat in most towns in England there is no way I'd have one in my area just on the fact that the roads are very wide, fast and people seem to have no clue what is going on in front of their vehicles. If indoor is not an option then I suggest leaving him at home where he can enjoy some reasonably safe countryside and none of the upheaval/risks of flying.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why do you think rabies shots ridiculous?
Do cats have them in the UK? To be honest I'm not sure, we pay a pet plan and the cat gets jabs as part of that,but i was under the assumption these were immunizations to protect the cat, not to stop the cat passing things on....isn't rabies a canine thing anyway?

Excuse my naivety!

Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by avanutria
If you do bring him to Florida try your best to make the move in cooler months, so he doesn't have too much heat distress during his travels.
Depending on what airline is used the cat may be able to travel in the cabin. When Chartreuse moved here last year his cat travelled in the cabin.

Ryanthelion84...if you're interested in the above search Chartreuse's posts and you'll find the details.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WARPed
Sadly Rabies is abound here. One wrong run in with a coon or other such animal with it and your cat could become infected, then next time it scratches you, you are infected and going through a nasty treatment. Give me a Rabies shot any day over those possibilities. The state has to enforce it or all the 'tards out there would not bother and human infections would sky rocket.

As mentioned before, if you bring your cat try to do so over winter, and by that I mean Jan to March as that is the only time it MIGHT be cool enough for your cat to survive if the baggage handlers forget it somewhere for a few hours (many airlines will not transport animals in the summer at all due to the risk).

Also, as mentioned, you would really need to make him/her an indoor cat. Gators are just one of a whole plethora of nasties that will eat, sting, bite or otherwise injure your animal. Look at where you are moving too. Is it urban? While I would have no problem having an outdoor cat in most towns in England there is no way I'd have one in my area just on the fact that the roads are very wide, fast and people seem to have no clue what is going on in front of their vehicles. If indoor is not an option then I suggest leaving him at home where he can enjoy some reasonably safe countryside and none of the upheaval/risks of flying.
Rich -thanks for the reply...ABSOLUTELY the purpose of this thread...the pro's and con's need to be weighed up thoroughly.

If leaving him with the inlaws is then best option... (chelsea - their cat is 15yrs old and could suprise us yet but it's unlikely he will be around for all that much longer) then this would be a lovely home for our cat and he would be well looked after.

The immigration period is likely to be end of the year beginning of the next so that needs to be kept in mind.., the licence (anyone have ideas on cost in FL) and the shots are no big deal for bringing him with us....my little girl would miss him terribly...the type of house we would be looking for would include either a small pool or at the least a netted yard that he could play in so it may not be all bad....
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Do cats have them in the UK? To be honest I'm not sure, we pay a pet plan and the cat gets jabs as part of that,but i was under the assumption these were immunizations to protect the cat, not to stop the cat passing things on....isn't rabies a canine thing anyway?

Excuse my naivety!

No because the UK is a rabies free country...the US is not. If you want to take your cat back to the UK you will have to jump through many more hoops to do so and the cost will be much more.

The shots are to stop the cat contracting rabies...if it contracts rabies it will die and most probably infect other animals and humans. Once contracted rabies is still untreatable in animals and humans and it's not a particularly nice way to die.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No because the UK is a rabies free country...the US is not. If you want to take your cat back to the UK you will have to jump through many more hoops to do so and the cost will be much more.

The shots are to stop the cat contracting rabies...if it contracts rabies it will die and most probably infect other animals and humans. Once contracted rabies is still untreatable in animals and humans and it's not a particularly nice way to die.
Like I said...Nieve.., but now happily educated! LOL
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Like I said...Nieve.., but now happily educated! LOL
This is only the beginning...believe me. Life here is very different to the UK...wait until you have to deal with medical issues.

I don't know about cats but dogs have annual injections for heart worm. It's spread by mozzies (I believe the mozzies in Texas are the size of small birds )...they are very long and live in the heart...eventually causing death.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 16th 2010 at 1:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.