Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:44 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Originally Posted by AloneinOregon
Lansbury - Really? I've never met a Brit since i've been here. What do you think of Milwaukie?, I went there once to look at cars...interesting place
There was a car place there i would say is the most dodgy i've ever been too! (wont say the name).

I've never been to that pub, I've been to Kels and a quite a few others downtown i will check it out thanks. Also its easy to do 150$ with a few bottle's of wine at Jakes speak house in Portland

Silly-Sod: Not my Cuppa-T, I'm not just looking for sex ........and i wouldnt pay for it even though we all do indirectly in the end!! .

Thanks again for your responses.
Milwaukie is ok, a bit small townish in outlook even if it is almost a suburb of Portland. But I am doing my best to antagonising the local population. It is a blue collar area but becoming quite popular as it has some of the good cheaper housing in the Metro area and light rail is coming out this way. It lacks in good eating places downtown but there are plentry of reasonable places along SE 82nd and around Clackamas Town Centre. I can take the family out for a good steak dinner and not spend $150 including wine. It is just far enough outside Portland to be quite and close enough I can drive downtown in 20 minutes. Traffic here is a doddle compared to London. The coast is 90 minutes away and the mountains less than that. Milwaukie is a very friendly place and well established.

If you were looking for cars in Milwaukie I guess you didn't go down S. E. McLoughlin Blvd there are a good range of car dealers down there all very reputable (if you can say that about car dealers).

The Moon and Sixpence at 2014 NE 42nd is another British pub don't know what it is like as I haven't been there. We seem to always go to the Horse Brass.

There are quite a few clubs downtown Portland, but being quite close to 60 my wife will not let me go to those. She says my heart might not take the strain but I'll sound the daughter-in-law out and she if she recomends a few.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

KJ2007 - Thanks, your right im sure there is lots of decent girls about. I've been on about 5 dates here so far (not many!), But haven't had much luck. It usually starts off OK (i can take the "how much do you earn thing and laugh" but then i end up being either a personal banker/Taxi service (2 didnt drive and they were in there 30's!), or just feeling like im being taken for a ride. I'm sorry but i do have the impression American girls are very materialistic. But its silly to tarnish everyone with the same brush.
Many undoubtedly are materialistic, didn't mean to criticize your opinion. Just wanted to say that this sort of behavior isn't okay here either - so no need to put up with it! You deserve better.

And ... "courting a lass" - that's the cutest thing I've ever heard. No wonder why you don't have trouble meeting girls. Much better than "Hey babe, are your pants made of mirrors? Cuz I can see myself in them ..." :curse:
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Too slow. I popped his cherry!

Only 2 sucks.
I thought it only took one suck?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:45 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE AiO and good luck finding real friends where you are.. in the meantime it looks like you made yourself some cyber friends.. We are a nice bunch ..
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of decorum please fellow posters....

When I first arrived her alone.. forlorn and single
albeit a lot older than you.. the local beach on Sunday
was good hunting ground..give the old dears little sob story
it would be their home for lunch ..leave around Wednesday ..

But at your young age..join a church..check out
the talent going in and find the most fruitful..

you should get saved petty damn quick with the accent ..
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:31 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But at your young age..join a church..check out
the talent going in and find the most fruitful..
Our Lady of Perpetual Pints more like.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:26 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
Oh hello and welcome to BE it would be very nice for us to have another young man stay around here "speak up Girl's" ((((Hug's)))))
27 - he's a bit old for us isn't he?

Just kidding

welcome to BE
Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think it also depends how much karma you've already given out. I think this was my first for a few days...there was 2 boxes then I hit send....
Eek...karma's like semen...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KJ2007
And ... "courting a lass" - that's the cutest thing I've ever heard.

My husband was talking about "churlish" behaviour at work today.

He hasn't realized he's in LA not the MCC!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the problem here
Just walk into any bar .. stand at the bar near to two or three young attractive ladies and open your mouth to order in full earshot ...... works around here if you have an English accent.

I do agree with one thing though ! .... Portland is a beautiful city.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Lansbury - Really? I've never met a Brit since i've been here. What do you think of Milwaukie?, I went there once to look at cars...interesting place
Good gods, man.. where've you been hanging out? Ahh, to be 27 in PDX again...
Are you reading the Willamette Week for stuff to do? Craigslist?
(Miklaukie.. what, you want to be an old spinster man? ack)

There are more people like you here than you know, (we're not all outdoor sports freaks) but you're not going to find them out in Hillsbunny.. you deffo need to get closer into town, and it won't cost you 3X (and the traffic's not bad either ).

Come on into town one day and start mooching around in close in SE (make a field trip to the Horse Brass as suggested), check out Hawthorne around 39th (big street fair there this Sat in fact), try the pub on NE Broadway at 21st, get downtown.. just need to put yourself out a bit.

It's true that the Brits here don't congregate much, but try some of the natives; they're quite nice.

hey Lansbury: PM me if you can't find any of that Xmas pud.. tho we bring them back from the UK when we can just because they're less expensive. The shop up the street from me's got them in the season, plus those other leads you got at VJ.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Good gods, man.. where've you been hanging out? Ahh, to be 27 in PDX again...
Are you reading the Willamette Week for stuff to do? Craigslist?
(Miklaukie.. what, you want to be an old spinster man? ack)

There are more people like you here than you know, (we're not all outdoor sports freaks) but you're not going to find them out in Hillsbunny.. you deffo need to get closer into town, and it won't cost you 3X (and the traffic's not bad either ).

Come on into town one day and start mooching around in close in SE (make a field trip to the Horse Brass as suggested), check out Hawthorne around 39th (big street fair there this Sat in fact), try the pub on NE Broadway at 21st, get downtown.. just need to put yourself out a bit.

It's true that the Brits here don't congregate much, but try some of the natives; they're quite nice.

hey Lansbury: PM me if you can't find any of that Xmas pud.. tho we bring them back from the UK when we can just because they're less expensive. The shop up the street from me's got them in the season, plus those other leads you got at VJ.
I'll do that, but I should be able to track some down with the leads I've got even in Milwaukie.

He definitely should try the local girls he should only to have to open his mouth and speak, I quite often get flirted with by complete strangers. Happened at the Clackamas County Fair yesterday and there is a particular lady in Sears at the Town Centre who keeps making me offers.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I'll do that, but I should be able to track some down with the leads I've got even in Milwaukie.

He definitely should try the local girls he should only to have to open his mouth and speak, I quite often get flirted with by complete strangers. Happened at the Clackamas County Fair yesterday and there is a particular lady in Sears at the Town Centre who keeps making me offers.
lol, so I'll have to review my impression of becoming a spinster man in Milwaukie.. didn't know it was the new hot spot! I will however, have to keep the Geezer locked up.. can't have him running riot in Sears with those loose ladies on the lookout.
Was that fair fun? I've got an itch to go to one this year but wondering if we should go to the State Fair instead.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Lansbury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.