Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

AloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Hi All,

New to the forum, I Have been living near Portland, Oregon for about 2 year’s now. It’s actually a really lovely city and nice green state & the weather is just like home!

My only complaint is I find it very hard to find anyone to do anything with!
I'm male 27, so enjoy going out for drinks, chats, music, social stuff really. I do like the wild outdoors but I’m not one who typically camps out in the woods, builds fire and shoots deer on my own. (Though I am sure its fun).

I find Americans in general are very family centric and rarely ever want to socialize outside of the 9-5pm work-day. All my neighbors come home from work and draw the blinds. I'm sure it's probably the same in England but I just never saw it because I had a group of friends & family there.

I like sports (thank god for Fox Soccer Channel!), I go to the gym (sometimes), and even venture in the city centre most weekends to shop/drink/look about. But I never seem to meet anyone guys or girls ………In the gym it’s a crime to talk I think! :-)

Anyone got any suggestions on how to meet people, Other than going to Church?

Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

hiya, welcome to BE yeah it takes a bit of adjusting for sure.

check this out and see if any peeps in your area ~

http://www.frappr.com/beusa
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:43 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AloneinOregon
Hi All,

New to the forum, I Have been living near Portland, Oregon for about 2 year’s now. It’s actually a really lovely city and nice green state & the weather is just like home!

I'm male 27, so enjoy going out for drinks, chats, music, social stuff really. I do like the wild outdoors but I’m not one who typically camps out in the woods, builds fire and shoots deer on my own. (Though I am sure its fun).

I find Americans in general are very family centric and rarely ever want to socialize outside of the 9-5pm work-day. All my neighbors come home from work and draw the blinds. I'm sure it's probably the same in England but I just never saw it because I had a group of friends & family there.

I like sports (thank god for Fox Soccer Channel!), I go to the gym (sometimes), and even venture in the city centre most weekends to shop/drink/look about. But I never seem to meet anyone guys or girls ………In the gym it’s a crime to talk I think! :-)

Cheers
welcome to BE

aaww big to cheer you up. Sorry you have found that but you have come to the right place

Do you have any hobbies?
What about hiking trails clubs or single groups (know there is one here in Seattle that does hiking etc) to try and connect.
It is awful if you live somewhere and haven't settled or found many friends
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hello and welcome to BE it would be very nice for us to have another young man stay around here "speak up Girl's" ((((Hug's)))))
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Oh hello and welcome to BE it would be very nice for us to have another young man stay around here "speak up Girl's" ((((Hug's)))))
simmer down britvic, simmer down
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:00 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

sorry with you there none of us get a chance
but yes its nice
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
simmer down britvic, simmer down
just want to make him feel welcome
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:03 am
Account Closed

just want to make him feel welcome
yeah yeah
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:05 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Hussy.

Welcome, and don't be a stranger
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:11 am
Just Joined

AloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of lightAloneinOregon is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks you so much for your replies!

Irn-Bru: Well I like to go Mountain Biking, errm to be honest I’m probably your typical English pub dwelling, movie/Football watching, Good time Geezer!! I like good food, good wine and good conversation. I do enjoy going to the countryside/coast and seeing new places but I’m not a really HUGE outdoors person like most people here in the PNW TBH.

I'm actually thinking of teaching US kids to play football (soccer). I was thinking that would be a really fun thing to do. Still finding out how to do it ATM. But there are so many teams and I used to play back in London. Though I am a little bit fatter now! (another thing I blame on America!) *kidding*

Brit-Vic: Thanks for the Welcome! Would be excellent to talk to some English people again I haven’t seen one in 2 years! (Except when I when I go home of course!). American women tend to like my accent and then want to know how much money I earn! I don’t think I’ve been on a date with one yet who was willing to even buy me a beer after I had paid $150 for a steak dinner!

I am all for being a gentlemen, but you know when she doesn’t even make an offer to contribute to anything after 2/3 dates and pushes the bill towards me while fluttering her eyelids I tend to loose interest fast.

So many American ladies I have met act like little spoilt Princesses!

I miss the English………..
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I am all for being a gentlemen, but you know when she doesn’t even make an offer to contribute to anything after 2/3 dates and pushes the bill towards me while fluttering her eyelids I tend to loose interest fast.
Do you still get some though?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Irn-Bru: Well I like to go Mountain Biking, errm to be honest I’m probably your typical English pub dwelling, movie/Football watching, Good time Geezer!! I like good food, good wine and good conversation. I do enjoy going to the countryside/coast and seeing new places but I’m not a really HUGE outdoors person like most people here in the PNW TBH.

I'm actually thinking of teaching US kids to play football (soccer). I was thinking that would be a really fun thing to do. Still finding out how to do it ATM. But there are so many teams and I used to play back in London. Though I am a little bit fatter now! (another time I blame on America!) *kidding*

Brit-Vic: Thanks for the Welcome! Would be excellent to talk to some English people again I haven’t seen one in 2 years! (Except when I when I go home of course!). American women tend to like my accent and then want to know how much money I earn! I don’t think I’ve been on a date with one yet who was willing to even buy me a beer after I had paid $150 for a steak dinner!

I miss the English………..
Now come on all you Brit Bird's this young man needs our love chat away me darlin.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:16 am
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Do you still get some though?
Manc, really!

....or do you mean some steak?
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Cheers
Hello and welcome to BE
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually thinking of teaching US kids to play football (soccer). I was thinking that would be a really fun thing to do. Still finding out how to do it ATM. But there are so many teams and I used to play back in London. Though I am a little bit fatter now! (another thing I blame on America!) *kidding*

I miss the English………..
Hello...here's some welcome karma.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.