Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.

Originally Posted by AloneinOregon
Cheers again everyone for the responses, What a nice bunch! I'd like to answer some of the comments:

I cant remember all the names so i will just reply with what i read

I'm going to be in the USA for at least another 2 years, Im lucky to have this job, and if im honest i struggled a bit with mortgages/Cost of Living back home before i left. Living in the US gives me allot of financial freedom. I have a lovely apartment, and TBH a great standard of living (besides being lonely and bored sometimes). I do plan on returning home though, once i've saved enough to get "back on the ladder". But i want to give America a go, i honestly think if i had a group of friends and more social life it would work for me.

To the bloke who said moving downtown would be a good idea, I agree. But the problem is i'm an on-call Engineer and live close to where i work. Also the traffic is terrible downtown, and although i could afford a smallish pad it would still be about 3X the cost of living only 10 miles outside.

KJ2007 - Thanks, your right im sure there is lots of decent girls about. I've been on about 5 dates here so far (not many!), But haven't had much luck. It usually starts off OK (i can take the "how much do you earn thing and laugh" but then i end up being either a personal banker/Taxi service (2 didnt drive and they were in there 30's!), or just feeling like im being taken for a ride. I'm sorry but i do have the impression American girls are very materialistic. But its silly to tarnish everyone with the same brush.

At the end of the day, if i was courting a lass and i really liked her. I wouldnt care if she lived in a mud hut!. Maybe its because i am reasonably successful for my age and dont need someone to keep me/be on the same level as me career wise.......i dunno.

Anyway i'm looking into Football coaching at the moment, seems there is an under 8's team right down the road from me..........That would get me out of the house for a few hours a week at least, and i dont mind gobby kids as long as i can give them back

Manc -

Soul - Thanks for the link, I might give that a shot!, :-)

Cheers
Hi and Welcome,

The football coaching is a great idea, will get you out and meeting lots of people.I know its kids but the parents will be there.
Our English accents nearly always attract attention.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:37 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
lol, so I'll have to review my impression of becoming a spinster man in Milwaukie.. didn't know it was the new hot spot! I will however, have to keep the Geezer locked up.. can't have him running riot in Sears with those loose ladies on the lookout.
Was that fair fun? I've got an itch to go to one this year but wondering if we should go to the State Fair instead.
My wife who knows the County Fair from as long ago as her days in 4H (whatever that is) and exhibiting knitting and assorted animals from the farm, she grew up on her parents farm in Oregon City, tells me it is not as good as in previous years.

I quite enjoyed it although it did seem disorganised but there was some good entertainment and my grandson took me to see all the animals.

The State Fair seems to be much better, we'll probably go to that too I think it is growing up on a farm my wife gets nostalgic over sheep and cows points out which are better than others.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:58 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
My wife who knows the County Fair from as long ago as her days in 4H (whatever that is) and exhibiting knitting and assorted animals from the farm, she grew up on her parents farm in Oregon City, tells me it is not as good as in previous years.

I quite enjoyed it although it did seem disorganised but there was some good entertainment and my grandson took me to see all the animals.

The State Fair seems to be much better, we'll probably go to that too I think it is growing up on a farm my wife gets nostalgic over sheep and cows points out which are better than others.
Meh. It's all about the Oregon Country Fair!

http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/Photos/photos.html
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Move to San Francisco.
Attached Thumbnails Feeling Pretty Alone - In USA.-los_lonely_boys_poster.jpg  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Move to San Francisco.

Why would anyone who likes Oregon move to California. It is Californians moving into Oregon who are spoiling the place. Used to be a sign on I5 at the State border, might be still there. You are welcome to visit, we don't want you to stay.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone who likes Oregon move to California. It is Californians moving into Oregon who are spoiling the place. Used to be a sign on I5 at the State border, might be still there. You are welcome to visit, we don't want you to stay.
There are signs all over the place. There's one at the end of my street, says Stop, no one pays any attention to it.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AloneinOregon
Hi All,

Anyone got any suggestions on how to meet people, Other than going to Church?

Cheers
Yes, get involved in politics. Look for a MoveOn group or the local Peace and Justice organisation. Also the Democrats usually have monthly meetings for business matters and social things every other week. I have met some great ...and intelligent, caring people this way. Don't rule out Church - try the Unitarian Universalists ( they are non -creedal). Often , they'll be the same folks you'll meet in the Peace and Justice groups.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Richardson
Yes, get involved in politics. Look for a MoveOn group or the local Peace and Justice organisation. Also the Democrats usually have monthly meetings for business matters and social things every other week. I have met some great ...and intelligent, caring people this way. Don't rule out Church - try the Unitarian Universalists ( they are non -creedal). Often , they'll be the same folks you'll meet in the Peace and Justice groups.
Any suggestions if the OP is more right than left?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Oo-er
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:18 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

A good tailor can be hard to find in the US.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

OP = original poster, I'm guessing. If he is so afflicted then I would suggest the local Republican party meetups. Also go to websites like townhall.com and others. There are probably just as just many clubs and groups on the right as the left. I hear the John Birch Society is known for great times......
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

:nods:
I guess you just had to 'be there' as a kid!
Hopefully we'll get ourselves organized and get down to one of these fairs.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If I was in your position mate, I'd get a job as a barman on a Friday / Saturday night and let the totty come to you.........

Plus if you get lucky, the chicks will think you're a lowly barman and can't afford to pay for their date.
so hopefull not only will you get a shag, but also a meal too.

win win all round I think.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
If I was in your position mate, I'd get a job as a barman and let the totty come to you.........
Well..... couldn't you do the same?
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well..... couldn't you do the same?
not unless I tow the bar behind my truck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.